Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I'm Evil, I give you...  (Read 4103 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm Evil, I give you...
« on: January 28, 2010, 12:27:30 pm »

...asbestos

Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_STONE:ASBESTOS]
[NAME:asbestos][COLOR:7:0:1][TILE:'%']
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SERPENTINE:CLUSTER_ONE:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:OLIVINE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:TALC:CLUSTER_SMALL:50]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GABBRO:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SHALE:CLUSTER_SMALL:50]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:MARBLE:CLUSTER_SMALL:75]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GRANITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:50]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:DIORITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:50]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:ANDESITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:50]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:DOLOMITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:50]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:MAGNETITE:CLUSTER_ONE:25]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:HORNBLENDE:CLUSTER_ONE:50]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:CALCITE:CLUSTER_ONE:50]
[THREAD_METAL:ASBESTOS_FIBER:100]
[VALUE:2]
[MELTING_POINT:13775] yup magma safe (well 5 of the 6 are, with melting points ranging
from 1200C to 1500C, with the most common form being 1500C)
[SOLID_DENSITY:2530] (again 2.2 to 3.6 g/cm^3)
Yup it is a cancer causing fiber, yes the dwarves probably know it is dangerous, but it is
oh so useful for making fireproof clothing, containers, bricks and the like, and dwarves like fire,
so they would likely use (and they aren't that safety conscious). Greeks and Romans knew about
it, used it and knew that the slaves used for producing it often died of lung problems. It is kind
of disturbing how common this stuff is (note there are 6 different types all with different
chemical formulas and different appearances in rocks, this is a rough average of the types).

[MATGLOSS_METAL:ASBESTOS_FIBER]
[NAME:asbestos fiber][COLOR:7:0:1][TILE:156]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'%']
[VALUE:10]
[BRITTLE]
[MELTING_POINT:13775]
[SOLID_DENSITY:2530]
[DEEP]

Pity we don't have a [HARMFUL] token to stick on stuff like this (and radioactive or toxic substances).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:18:55 pm by sunshaker »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Evil, I give you...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:26:19 pm »

It would have been cool, had you called it something else and not made reference to the real world problems of it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 01:38:16 pm »

It's still cool. :D
Especially since we can imagine torturing our Dwarves with it.

But perhaps the extra info about it shouldn't be part of the "Code:"?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:32:59 pm »

It has been called asbestos from antiquity (Greek origins) unless I give it a Persian, Hindu or Chinese name (I don't have the necessary characters on my keyboard), or make up a name for it, I've got no other choice. If I start making names up for stuff then I'll be tempted to rename Limestone or Obsidian and people will be questioning my sanity on that.

Some of the extra text is in my raws, some of it isn't (should I release my personal mods as a package I want to leave notes throughout so the people that use it, should they read the raws, will understand my choices about why things are the way they are, much like Toady has in matgloss_stone_mineral.txt). Some of the notes were added solely for the web post to provide information for people here (because people will ask if it really is magma safe and if it really does come from those stones if I don't). Should you choose to adopt it for your own use feel free to remove any text that bothers you and even change the numbers.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 04:48:13 pm »

Where's ASBESTOS_FIBER?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:54:31 pm »

Oh, you probably need to mod in a plant that when processed gives some kind of "Asbestos fiber thread" or else your thread making reaction won't work.

In theory, you can also make a dud animal that does not appear anywhere, and make it produce asbestos silk. You could call it an "asbestos" and make it fanciful so that it does not appear. Though this approach had problems.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:38:44 pm »

Where's ASBESTOS_FIBER?

Oops good catch. Changed my mind and decided to go the reaction route instead of the new metal route. That should have been removed when I changed my mind. Delete that line, I'll edit the original post to remove it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:13:36 pm by sunshaker »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 06:14:30 pm »

Well that sucks, I have to go back to the metal route as I can make rock thread but I can't weave it into cloth. *Grumble*

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 06:28:43 pm »

Can't you just do what adamantine does?  That's what the [THREAD] tag is for, after all.  If it only accepts metals, well, "metal" in DF is a bit unclearly defined.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 06:52:05 pm »

You can designate stone thread without errors.. though I haven't bothered to see if it actually works ingame.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 06:54:07 pm »

You can designate stone thread without errors.. though I haven't bothered to see if it actually works ingame.

You can make it, but you can't weave it (well maybe through the Job manager). The game will let you weave metal, silk and plant fibers.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 12:10:31 am »

You think that's evil?
Spoiler: HFS (click to show/hide)

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 12:31:06 am »

You think that's evil?
Spoiler: HFS (click to show/hide)

It's.. It's so wrong.

ALSO, IF YOU OR A LOVED ONE HAVE BEEN AFFECTED WITH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING DISEASES DURING EXPOSURE TO ASBESTOS, THEN WE MAY BE ABLE TO HELP. ZEROX AND SOKOBOLD: CLERKS AT LAW.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 01:18:27 pm »

It has been called asbestos from antiquity (Greek origins) unless I give it a Persian, Hindu or Chinese name (I don't have the necessary characters on my keyboard), or make up a name for it, I've got no other choice. If I start making names up for stuff then I'll be tempted to rename Limestone or Obsidian and people will be questioning my sanity on that.

Some of the extra text is in my raws, some of it isn't (should I release my personal mods as a package I want to leave notes throughout so the people that use it, should they read the raws, will understand my choices about why things are the way they are, much like Toady has in matgloss_stone_mineral.txt). Some of the notes were added solely for the web post to provide information for people here (because people will ask if it really is magma safe and if it really does come from those stones if I don't). Should you choose to adopt it for your own use feel free to remove any text that bothers you and even change the numbers.

Ok, I'm sorry but I call BS here. The substance of your argument is that you can't rename it/pretend it isn't cancer causing. This whole game is made up. HFS stone is made up. It also doesn't follow that "you'd be tempted to change limestone," just because HFS stone is made up like something similar to this could be.

If you want asbestos in game, fine, but please don't say you couldn't rename it on reasoning like that. Further, you had to expect a little backlash, because of the title of the thread and the nature of the post.

Sorry, I'm usually in good humor but not about this.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 08:00:06 pm »

Truean, I really don't get what you are getting worked up about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4