Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Run the game in DOS!  (Read 6633 times)

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
Run the game in DOS!
« on: January 28, 2010, 04:49:43 am »

Try this: HX DOS Extender - a Win32 emulator for DOS, basically.

You can run Liberal Crime Squad in DOS!  (Probably... LCS is a Win32 console application and those work under HX DOS Extender in DOS.)  TRY IT!  If you dare...  I have not tried it yet myself, but I am pretty sure it will work.  If you don't have DOS installed, use a DOS emulator, or something.  The HX DOS Extender webpage tells which DOS emulators it works with.  HAVE FUN!  (You might also need a program called DOSLFN that allows Long File Names under DOS, I'm not sure.  Also you should try running under both MS-DOS 7.10 and FreeDOS 1.0, as well as any DOS emulators like DOSBox or DOSEMU, or PC emulators like QEMU, and try other versions of DOS too if you dare.  Lots of experiments you could do.  If you still have a floppy disk drive on your computer, you'll find it makes it easier to boot into DOS, and perhaps if you are daring, you could make a Liberal Crime Squad boot disk that loads DOS, loads HX DOS Extender, and starts Liberal Crime Squad right from AUTOEXEC.BAT.  HINT: to fit Liberal Crime Squad onto a floppy, use UPX to compress the main executable.)

Anyway, if you still have an old DOS computer laying around, it's probably just a simple matter of running HX DOS Extender and then running Liberal Crime Squad, although to be honest, you probably also need to run DOSLFN as well since it seems some of the files used by Liberal Crime Squad have long file names.  Still, it can be done.  Probably.  Someone with spare time on their hands who likes experimenting, please test my theories and post results.  I may get around to testing them myself if I find the time.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Run the game in DOS!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:52:37 am »

As cool as this is from a geeky standpoint, why would you want to run to LCS in DOS? I get wanting to run it in Windows 98, but...

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:09:34 am »

Oh I just like experimenting with things like this, it's silly, but quite fun.  MS-DOS 7.10, for instance, supports all drive types like FAT32 that Windows 98 supports, as well as the Long File Names if you use DOSLFN.  You can even access NTFS drives using a program called NTFSDOS.  And this HX DOS Extender that lets you run Win32 console applications is the best!  It's just ridiculous how people keep adding new capabilities to an old operating system abandoned by almost everybody.  And if you don't have a floppy drive anymore, there are CD burning programs for DOS now, and I think it might be possible to make a bootable DOS CD or USB flash drive.  Those would have enough space for an uncompressed Liberal Crime Squad.  Also, you can dual-boot your regular operating system (Windows, Linux, etc.) with DOS off your hard disk if you want to go that route.  So many fun things you could try out!

Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:12:27 am »

Since we're just talking about LCS in weird places, I have LCS on an N900:

(full image: here)

Yeah, it's tiny and I should rework the key bindings to not rely on [ and ] so much, but at least it brings some liberal goodness to those infinite tram rides!

If anyone cares I'll make a package.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 02:30:26 pm »

I may give a try to getting this going on the PSP under DOS if I can swing it..

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »

*pic*

Yeah, it's tiny and I should rework the key bindings to not rely on [ and ] so much, but at least it brings some liberal goodness to those infinite tram rides!

Epic win. Would that be exclusive to the Nokia N900?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 04:38:49 pm »

That is the most awesome thing I've ever seen.
It actually makes me want to run out and buy a cell-phone.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 06:37:08 pm »

**pic**

Holy christ ... I'd kill to have that on my iPod touch ... sadly, no physical keyboard.

Fantastic job though man.

*edited to remove repeat large pic, oops.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:18:36 pm by valcon »
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:36:12 pm »

Gonna be trying out on PSP Dosbox again this weekend to see if it'll work. The controls for it are kinda screwy but I can try anyhow

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 10:16:23 pm »

Okay, I've figured out the workings of hxldr32 with dosbox and how to get it working on the PSP. Next step is a test run in the game, keymapping, and all that. I'll share the files when I get it configured.

Edit: Oh bah, obstacle I'm not sure how to come, I have the loader working more or less on PSP DosBox but I get a dynrec error when I try launching the LCS file.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:49:05 pm by Tilla »

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 03:13:39 am »

This is awesome, you have it working on mobile phones?  I have a Blackberry, I think to work on a Blackberry programs have to be written in Java 2 Micro Edition.  Unless all the source code were ported to the weird version of Java Blackberries use, I don't think it can run on them.  Anyway it's sweet you have it working on that Nokia.  I'll bet there are utilities to port programs from C/C++ into Java and then if you tinker with the source code enough you can compile for Blackberry, if you are dedicated enough.  Me, I'll just settle for getting it to run on DOS, but it's great you got it to work on a phone.  Now Blackberries, unlike iPhones, are not locked, so you can run whatever software you want on them without having to break any warranties.  I think only iPhones are locked, and if you hack one it voids the warrranty.  It's probably easiest to stick to devices that can run C/C++ code.  If anyone wants to make a Blackberry version of this, the official software development tools are here, but that would mean changing all of the code to be in a completely different language... a helluva lot harder than just running it in DOS using HX Dos Extender.

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:21:04 am »

Sadly, the N900 is a mobile phone that runs Linux, and a particularly PC-like flavour of it, as well, so there wasn't much porting involved (just had to cross-compile the source for ARM and make a nice shortcut for my desktop menu). I guess Android phones are next, but I think the 80x25 UI doesn't translate too well to small resolutions, especially with the virtual keyboard taking up half of your screen real estate.

varsashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 04:04:26 pm »

Sadly, the N900 is a mobile phone that runs Linux, and a particularly PC-like flavour of it, as well, so there wasn't much porting involved (just had to cross-compile the source for ARM and make a nice shortcut for my desktop menu). I guess Android phones are next, but I think the 80x25 UI doesn't translate too well to small resolutions, especially with the virtual keyboard taking up half of your screen real estate.

You act like there are actually people who would buy an Android phone without a real keyboard instead of the G1.

szopin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 06:50:49 pm »

I would care. If not package as it might require more work, at least share your binaries/directories. Emulation uses extra cpu so less fun unplugged. If you'd port DF or any other cool roguelike... man I would vote for you in every man of the year poll I could find.