Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: -snop-  (Read 16234 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
-snop-
« on: January 27, 2010, 11:00:00 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:27:45 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Sex, OR The Making of Gimli
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:01:34 pm »

You're basing a paper for a Human Sexuality class on jokes regarding the quirky behavior of an alpha-stage computer game. I'm not really sure what to think of that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
-snop-
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:06:24 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:28:22 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Ryplinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:08:02 pm »

You're basing a paper for a Human Sexuality class on jokes regarding the quirky behavior of an alpha-stage computer game. I'm not really sure what to think of that.
"Well played." Any class paper written on Dwarf Fortress is a win in my book.

which instantaneously spreads across the entire “map” on which a game is played upon the male’s arrival.

This clause is ambiguous; it could be interpreted as "When the male arrives, a game is played on the map."

On the whole, a highly entertaining read.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:13:45 pm by Ryplinn »

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:17:44 pm »

Its always better to do something you enjoy, even if its not entirely appropriate for the situation, because if you enjoy something, you'll put forth the effort to make it great, instead of just, finished.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
-snop-
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:18:45 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:28:38 am by Bauglir »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:42:09 pm »

Dwarves aren't humans.  F.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
-snop-
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:01:48 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:29:24 am by Bauglir »

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:02:23 am »

That's academia for ya!  Best to just play along and get invited to a kegger or two, I have found.

In my experience, dwarves will produce babies outside of wedlock, but never if they are denied access to private rooms.  This suggests that dwarves do engage in some kind of sex act beyond the spores which we have all observed.  It further suggests that, despite the fact that children go naked covered only in mud and their own vomit and adult dwarves seem satisfied with little better, their is some notion of 'privacy' or 'intimate settings' in dwarven society.  Although the specifics of this would require further study.

Further.  Terrifying  Study.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:11:24 am »

Power Goal: Psychic
Dwarves in-game begin to panic if the user posts sentences involving the words 'sex' and 'study', 'elves' or 'magma' on the forums.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 12:13:45 am »

If you can present your subject well and argue the point well, you deserve an A.  Of course, that's for English and debate and stuff, I'm not sure how this will fly with any competent teacher of a more concrete science.
Shoes...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 12:59:41 am »

In my experience, dwarves will produce babies outside of wedlock, but never if they are denied access to private rooms.

This is incorrect. Only married dwarves have kids and rooms don't seem to have much to do with it.

There is literally no actual action going on to impregnate the female, and Toady has pretty much confirmed this before.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 04:42:40 am »

Lazy bastards :P.

P.S. I love how these forums are rare ones which allow you to make threads with words "dwarf" and "sex" in the name together. On other forums you're probably sentenced immediately :P.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:44:23 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 06:12:43 am »

P.S. I love how these forums are rare ones which allow you to make threads with words "dwarf" and "sex" in the name together. On other forums you're probably sentenced immediately :P.

That's because this community can handle it AND the fact that "minors" aren't a sizeable populationgroup on this forum. It's also because Toady and Threetoe are pretty open and tolerant of the subject.

Post "sex" on a Halo forum and you will see how low humanity can go. *shudder*
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 09:22:51 am »

That's because this community can handle it AND the fact that "minors" aren't a sizeable populationgroup on this forum. It's also because Toady and Threetoe are pretty open and tolerant of the subject.

Post "sex" on a Halo forum and you will see how low humanity can go. *shudder*
And don't even dare say it over Live, or you will get the same words, but by little boys who speak around the 15kHz range.

Oh, and "This implies that dwarves either possess a marsupial-like pouch in which the infant is stored, or dwarven facial hair (and infant arm muscles) are sufficiently strong for the infant to cling to its mother’s beard and maintain its own suckling position." = EPIC WIN
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:26:27 am by alway »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4