Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: -snop-  (Read 16233 times)

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Sex, OR The Making of Gimli
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »

I should give my friends complete thought "Ties it to the shield for an AP bonus."

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:14 pm »

Dwarves aren't humans.  F.

I would disagree with this. While many fantasy games/settings distinguish elves and dwarves from humans, I think it is important to the concept of dwarves, elves, halflings, and even goblins and orcs, that they are essentially human. They are expressions of various aspects of humanity. I like when fantasy settings eschew the use of the word "human", instead referring to specific cultures and ethnicities.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 09:37:51 pm »

I like when fantasy settings eschew the use of the word "human", instead referring to specific cultures and ethnicities.

ShadowRun has "metahumans" which encompasses humans, elves, orc, dwarves, trolls (and some regional varients, such as formori and oni).  Genetics is also rather simple.  An orc + a humam = either an orc or a human.  Orc + Orc = Orc 90% of the time (10% human, IIRC).  Human + human = human about 70% of the time, occasionally you'll get elves, orcs, dwarves, or trolls (two of those, IIRC: the orc and troll) are born human and undergo their pheonotype change at puberty.

Elves of course, are still upper class twits with a thing for nature (and are in fact so elitist their "elven language" is derived from Tolkien Elvish).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 02:44:40 am »

I would disagree with this. While many fantasy games/settings distinguish elves and dwarves from humans, I think it is important to the concept of dwarves, elves, halflings, and even goblins and orcs, that they are essentially human. They are expressions of various aspects of humanity. I like when fantasy settings eschew the use of the word "human", instead referring to specific cultures and ethnicities.

That's one thing I liked about Morrowind. There really was no generic "human" race: You had two main branches of what you'd call people (man and elf), and each was fairly diverse. Not only that, but none of them had that sort of fantasy Space/Fantasy Jew effect of being a race of stereotypes (for the most part).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 09:36:38 am »

Writing a paper for a class you disrespect based on Dwarf Fortress.

This is, perhaps, the greatest thing I've ever seen.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
-snop-
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 09:47:33 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:30:47 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 10:27:01 am »

That's one thing I liked about Morrowind. There really was no generic "human" race: You had two main branches of what you'd call people (man and elf), and each was fairly diverse. Not only that, but none of them had that sort of fantasy Space/Fantasy Jew effect of being a race of stereotypes (for the most part).

And I played neither. :D YAY REPTILES.
Beast Feet FTW.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 10:42:20 am »

Hope you don't mind getting an F.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
-snop-
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 04:28:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:38:56 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 05:38:01 pm »

Hope you don't mind getting an F.

I got an A.

Sorry for the necro, it seemed relevant.

Mind = Blown
Did the prof comment on anything? Some interesting questions or something like that?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
-snop-
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 10:46:49 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:38:48 am by Bauglir »

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 01:25:48 am »

Total win. I love it. I love this game.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 04:40:55 am »

you must post the whole paper, in the name of DWARVEN SCIENCE
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »

My mind is blown for two reasons:

1) You got  an A. Lucky break.
2) You claim not to care about your Human Sexuality course because the prof supports sexual diversity and respect for others, and you find it heavy handed that somebody would inhibit your right to not respect other people.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 09:24:44 pm »

My mind is blown for two reasons:

1) You got  an A. Lucky break.
2) You claim not to care about your Human Sexuality course because the prof supports sexual diversity and respect for others, and you find it heavy handed that somebody would inhibit your right to not respect other people.

That is not what he said at all. He said that he does offer the proper respect, just thinks the class is a joke because a) it even has to exist, and b) is being heavyhanded in an amusing way.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4