Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: -snop-  (Read 16227 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Sex, OR The Making of Gimli
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 09:36:54 am »

Well threetoes storys include atleast 1 example of a hybrid, not to metion the question from where Animal-man come or how they are incooporated. Since both are part of DF you can include this ideas. The Question of interracial sex could lead to some interresting discussion in your class.

edit: Damn forgot to install the spellchecker.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:54:22 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 11:29:02 am »

You might want to mention that Dwarven infants will often commit suicide if their mother dies.

The tendency of dwarves to descend into madness after the loss of friends,lovers or family members might also indicate extremely close family bonds.

Dwarves can also become very distressed if a loved one is not given a popper burial or if their burial place is disturbed. It's not uncommon for a dwarf to run headlong into incredible danger in order to retrieve the remains of their lover rather than leaving it to decay.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:46:56 pm by HungryHobo »

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 02:22:37 pm »

Hey all, I'm an academic and I have to say, don't write the paper as you have written it so far.

You might want to improve the scope of your paper. it's too focused on speculation about the anatomy of dwarves. Anatomy that Toady has stated he doesn't plan to fully emulate. It's irrelevant to the content of the game. If I were your professor, A.) I obviously would be an avid Dwarf Fortress fan, and B.) I would still give this paper a pretty low pass grade because of my points above.

I suggest you change your topic somewhat. Rather than give you ideas of what topic to change it to, I'll remind you you can definitely use DF as an example in it, without having to go on at length about unimportant details about DF. You'd probably also find a lot more to talk about.

But yeah, why are you taking Human Sexuality anyway?
火族

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 04:14:55 pm »

dwarves seem to lack sex organs

Makes me wonder if Toady will add the baculum to the skeletal structure of those animals that do possess it.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:45 pm »

I'd like to point out that Toady has confirmed that DF canon female dwarfs do not have beards.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 04:52:02 pm »

No! Heresy! It's all wrong!

*rocks back and forth in the corner*
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 06:32:18 pm »

Bonus points if you get your teacher to accuse Dwarf Fortress of being 'graphic' at any time.

Many, many bonus points.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 07:21:32 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is very graphic.

People keep asking for graphics and I keep telling them about it...

"I WAS playing as a DRAGON.  I got KILLED by AN AXEMAN."
"Yeah, but it'd be better with graphics."
"He hacked at my lower body and my guts fell out, how much more graphic can you get?!"
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »

It might rather ought to be a paper on how human beings, especially but not exclusively adolescent male human beings, graphically envision sex even in an ASCII game where the principles reproduce at a distance and by spores.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
-snop-
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 07:29:40 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:29:40 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 08:20:35 am »

It appears that dwarven evolution and clothing/armor design has accounted for this, as dwarven women are fully capable of wielding a battleaxe in one hand and a shield in the other, all while clad in a suit of full plate armor, and still nursing an infant or two. This implies that dwarves either possess a marsupial-like pouch in which the infant is stored, or dwarven facial hair (and infant arm muscles) are sufficiently strong for the infant to cling to its mother’s beard and maintain its own suckling position.
A couple of small points of grammar and logic:

1) The game's not implying - you are inferring (the way I was taught to remember this is to think of a message being passed - the sender can imply, or the reciever can infer, but not vice versa).
2) There are other possible mechanisms involved, so you shouldn't present it as an either/or choice but as two possible hypotheses of your own invention.

Otherwise, quite good.  And well done - at least 25% of your school time should be devoted to learning how to stick it to the man.  Sheep do not good leaders make.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 05:31:16 pm »

On the baby into battle note...my friend votes it involves tying to baby to the shield.  I say they do it in order to ease the strain of the extra load.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 06:33:42 pm »

But since the babies are usually first to die when mom takes them out to fight, does that mean they're tied to the FRONT of the shield?

"It's a nice shield, a -shield- even. Adamantine too. Would be a shame to break it, and I can always make more kids. Now shut up Urist and Zagrib."

Seth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 06:49:35 pm »

I can't wait until the prof does a google search on Dwarf Fortress and finds this thread

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 08:11:14 pm »

So when is it due?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4