Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remove different types of wood  (Read 1286 times)

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remove different types of wood
« on: January 29, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

Removing the different types of wood would be helpful.  The different types make it take longer to scroll through menus, take longer to read, and don't add much to the game.  I don't care whether the wood is birch or maple or willow.  The only thing I care about is that it's wood, and I can build stuff with it.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Remove different types of wood
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

Better yet, give us a button that collapses all wood types into one. Problem solved and we can still seperate the types if we really want to.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

OK, that sounds like a good solution.  It should probably be on the options screen or in the init file.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

Yeah, I'd rather fix the problem instead of taking out the complexity what makes the game good.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 02:46:00 am »

Of course, then we need a button that collapses all the non economic stone into one thing.  You know, for the Elves among us.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

I suppose we should condense elpehant tallow/racoon meat roasts into Prepared Meal-s, too.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 11:46:00 am »

There actually is a difference between the different types of wood: they have different weights.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

Densities too. I bet that if you fiddled with it enough, you could make them float on water. Eh, maybe the physics aren't that hot to trot yet, eh?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

Floating items is on the Dev list, actually.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

Different weights and densities don't matter enough to actually care which wood you use, though. And if they did matter, the dwarves should be able to pick out the best type for themselves since I certainly don't want to bother.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

My opinion:
Variety is the spice of life.  Just from an interest standpoint I find it fun to have all sorts of wood and trees.  Even if it doesn't technically change anything.  Collapsible lists are always a good clutter remover, as the person above suggested.  I would never get rid of plants: the fact that they are there leaves them open to be used to simulate population dynamics of the plants and trees in the future, and to give them particular qualities and properties with pertinence... In the future the wood can be as diverse as the plants, and I would never do without as many different plants as possible.
Variety is the spice of life.

[ January 30, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »

Once weapon durability and the like come in to play, things made of wood could wear out faster or slower depending on the tree. ...And the use. A balsa practice sword would take a lot less time to break than an oaken shield. (pun SO VERY intended.)
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.