Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Champion Hunters  (Read 2597 times)

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Champion Hunters
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 12:09:29 am »

Rebuttal: Interspersed cage traps. Safer, more useful for general purposes, and with a little modding you can breed 'em.

Ah for the day I can arm my war rhesus macaques with all these large daggers I keep finding.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 12:13:05 am »

^ They have the [GOOD] tag in the raws, but I don't think they have the [SAVAGE] tag. They may or may not have a [BENIGN] tag, but I think I've seen them on Serene sites anyway.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 12:48:38 am »

The only issue with hunting is that the military tends to skill up very quickly and gain high attributes and can go out and kick ass while hunting is slow at skilling and hunters tend to go out with shitty attributes and get killed. My suggestion would to train up your hunters in some other skill to get atts and then turn them loose. They should do fine then.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 10:04:35 am »

The main problem with hunting is that dwarves only gain ambush skill when they're sneaking and only sneak until they're found. Dabbling ambushers are seen almost immediately, so they gain one or two ambush skill before they're seen and start running. I had a hunter working for three years only make it to proficient because he always ended up chasing horses across the map when he ran out of ammo (and winning too, scarily enough).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 10:59:52 am »

The main problem with hunting is that dwarves only gain ambush skill when they're sneaking and only sneak until they're found. Dabbling ambushers are seen almost immediately, so they gain one or two ambush skill before they're seen and start running. I had a hunter working for three years only make it to proficient because he always ended up chasing horses across the map when he ran out of ammo (and winning too, scarily enough).
This brings to mind the curious image of a dwarf clad in full plate armor swinging a warhammer with wild abandon outrunning a horse.  He then proceeds to hit said horse and send it flying what we will assume to be 50 yards, whereupon it explodes from the force of hitting a tree. 

I think the elves need to reconsider their absurd restriction on my logging operations...
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 04:34:48 pm »

This brings to mind the curious image of a dwarf clad in full plate armor swinging a warhammer with wild abandon outrunning a horse.  He then proceeds to hit said horse and send it flying what we will assume to be 50 yards, whereupon it explodes from the force of hitting a tree. 

I think the elves need to reconsider their absurd restriction on my logging operations...

So sigged.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 09:36:39 pm »

if you aren't in a savage biome, why have a hunter at all?

Unicorns.

Chall T. Dow

Unicorns only appear in savage, good-aligned biomes, I believe. I could be wrong, but don't they only appear in Joyous Wilds?
Joyous Wilds= good, savage areas

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 01:40:24 am »

I could see turning out hunter for everyone and ensuring theres enough armor/weapons/bolts for everyone as a militia but could you imagine what would happen if some animals all of the sudden appeared on the map? hahaha 90 dwarves sneaking through the trees to kill 2 mountain goats while the diplomat trails behind in confusion and horror. Could you turn woodcutter and hunter on to make them all armored and equipped with axes? haha woe be anyone around a berzerk dwarf but your dwarves would all be extremely effective in a fight and you'd have a ton of armed and armored dwarfs ready to be drafted at the drop of a hat.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 10:16:58 am »

I could see turning out hunter for everyone and ensuring theres enough armor/weapons/bolts for everyone as a militia but could you imagine what would happen if some animals all of the sudden appeared on the map? hahaha 90 dwarves sneaking through the trees to kill 2 mountain goats while the diplomat trails behind in confusion and horror. Could you turn woodcutter and hunter on to make them all armored and equipped with axes? haha woe be anyone around a berzerk dwarf but your dwarves would all be extremely effective in a fight and you'd have a ton of armed and armored dwarfs ready to be drafted at the drop of a hat.

You do know that you can set weapon preferences for hunting as well, right?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »

The only issue with hunting is that the military tends to skill up very quickly and gain high attributes and can go out and kick ass while hunting is slow at skilling and hunters tend to go out with shitty attributes and get killed. My suggestion would to train up your hunters in some other skill to get atts and then turn them loose. They should do fine then.

What I normally do is assign any military who have nerve injuries and can't spar, but are still good fighters (i.e., at least one arm left, etc.) to be hunters. 

1) They still get some combat experience, just slowly
2) they gain ambushing experience (which I wish dwarves would use against enemies, maybe they do, I dunno)
3) Fort gets food etc.

Only problem is that after a while the natural population of animals goes away and this doesn't work any more, which is a shame.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 12:50:07 pm »

Body parts, as a rule of thumb, are ignored altogether.

You know that body parts can be butchered, and that a corpse without any limbs, arms, or head attached to it will still produce the full amount of food&stuff upon butcher?

This actually makes animals produce more stuff if they are dismembered, either with a hammer/axe or a 20 z-level fall.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 03:13:00 pm »

I am aware of this. It simply accumulates too quickly and results in having more food than I know what to do with, rotting notwithstanding. I'd rather just keep 'em outside till they turn to bones.
Pages: 1 [2]