Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eternal wagon meeting area  (Read 2551 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eternal wagon meeting area
« on: January 27, 2010, 03:45:32 pm »

My dwarves have a legendary dining room. They love it very much, and hold regular parties in it. So why is it that whenever a dwarf doesn't have a job, he goes and stands in the 3x3 square where the wagon originally started? And how do I stop it? I'm gradually trying to move everything into the fortress proper; when I'm done there won't be anything left out on that plateau. I don't want dwarves randomly standing around there.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Eternal wagon meeting area
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »

Do you have your dining room set as a meeting area? Don't. Dwarves spend too much time partying.

Try putting down a meeting zone instead. After a while, all the idle traffic should filter there.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:12:08 pm »

Do you have your dining room set as a meeting area? Don't. Dwarves spend too much time partying.

Try putting down a meeting zone instead. After a while, all the idle traffic should filter there.

Maaan, Dwarven parties are the best! I love to imagine the women comparing muscles, the men singing bawdy songs, and the children swilling dwarven beer!  What do I care if it means my megaproject will take another dwarven year to complete? I'm playing for the pleasure of the experience already, I don't want it to end!

P.S. - About the "idle dwarves going to the wagon site," I have no idea. Sometimes my dwarves will take their breaks outside; maybe a couple of yours just coincidentally went to the wagon site?

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:47:45 pm »

The initial wagon site counts as a meeting zone if you don't have any other, I think. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:52:11 pm »

The initial wagon site counts as a meeting zone if you don't have any other, I think. 

I believe this is the case. Assigning another meeting area clears up the problem quickly. When embarking, I tend to make this right by the entrance so that the initial kobold and goblin thieves will be quickly discovered.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:06:14 pm »

But my dining room is set as a meeting hall - does that not count?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:21:23 pm »

It should count - in fact, in every test I've done, deconstructing the wagon also removes its meeting zone and causes dwarves to start wandering around aimlessly.

Make sure you don't have an actual activity zone defined over the old wagon's location.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:31:34 pm »

You could also try channeling/ramping the plateau away so there's nowhere to stand.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:48:01 pm »

Push I, designate a zone, then push M to make it a meeting zone.  I just toss mine somewhere in or around the Dining Room.  A smaller meeting zone (1x1) makes them clump together and socialize more, but try making it larger if it causes lag or problems.     

Dining Hall is the place where dwarves go to eat and throw parties, meeting zone is where they just go and goof off and hang out.  Or I guess more technically, where they all clump together and gain social skills when they can't find a job and aren't eating/drinking etc.  If you don't have one I think they just stand around where the wagon was, to avoid dwarves just standing around on stockpiles or outside or wherever they are when they finish a job.   

...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 01:26:00 am »

I've always actually had success going into the zone menu and using the "remove zone" feature right where my wagon was, or in a broad general area where I think it was, when I forget.(almost all the time. I typically remove the wagon as a first order of business after mining a food stockpile) Works like a charm.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 01:02:14 pm »

Are your dogs or other animals venturing outside near the wagon as well? If so, then you've definitely turned off your other meeting area and might have done so by accident if you've recently resized it.

If not, my guess is that the dwarves out there are those who have antisocial tendencies (avoids crowds/prefers to be alone/time alone more important) but don't have a bedroom where they can spend their idle time.