Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Several megaproject questions  (Read 998 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Several megaproject questions
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:20:15 pm »

Ok, i had a brief inspiration cycle while in school and i doodled something reminescent of a plan of a megaproject, now i like to call it the hanging gardens(altough it will probably be underground).Now what i plan to build is a big chamber that is higher on one end and has water coming trough to the other side(preferably if i could make it somehow dissappear into a chasm), there will be statues and waterfalls and two(or one depending on the version) paths that will go trough the middle.Now, i could porbably find the answer to my questions on the wiki but seeing that my internet has been slowed down horrifiyingly by the provider i would much prefer the answers in one place.
Now for the questions:
1.Pumps, i plan to use pairs of pumps, will it be neccesarry to power them both separatley or can i just place them next to each other and power only one?
2.When water muddies ground that was previusly bare, say obsidian cave floor, will anything grow on it, now i don't mean farming, just ordinary grass and shrubs
3.If i open the roof to the outside what plants will grow inside, aboveground ones or ug ones(i have an ug river somewhere just have to find it)
4.Can i get sand from caravans, if yes which ones, i would really like to encase the path in glass so the dwarwes can admire the room without being endangered by the stuff outside
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Several megaproject questions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 12:31:59 pm »

1. Pumps seem to act as though both ends are mechanisms.  As long as sufficient power is available, the one will probably operate the other.
2. Yes, oddly enough.  Even constructed floors.  But only terrain-appropriate items will grow (ie. above-ground vs. below-ground).
3. Underground ones.  The designation of underground vs. above-ground appears to be somewhat hard-coded.
4. No caravan ever carries sand.  The only way to generate sand beyond having it already available is to embark on a site with no soil types and dig up an underground water source, then irrigate with it and let things grow on the irrigated tiles.
Sanity is for the weak.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:49:15 pm »

If your gardens are underground you should have a underground pool/river. Nothing will grow underground unless spores have been released from a underground river/pool (you release them by simply finding the river/pool). Or you could just make a skylight and floor over it, and aboveground plants will grow there then (according to your biome, e.g. nothing will grow outside if you are in a tundra or desert)

EDIT: also a slightly glitchy way to get sand is constructing a floor over obisidian and removing it, you will get a soil tile and it could be sand.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:51:15 pm by wagawaga »

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:31:44 pm »

You can also cheat, if you're willing to. Find any soil you have available, open matgloss_stone_soil.txt, and set that type to have [SOIL_SAND] as one of its tokens. Et voila, clay can be made into glass.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 02:00:47 pm »

for bonus points use magma instead of water...
for extra bonus points make it so that it will defend your fortress while allowing your dwarves to watch as a form of entertainment.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:13 pm »

Well if i have to cheat then i think i'm better off without glass walls, i should think of that next time i embark on a nice place, but i don't need much here, i have a magma pipe just below my dining room, a chasm that cuts the map in half(possible defensive use), a pit right next to the chasm and a small brook i the lower left corner, now i have to find that darned ug river.
I don't think i shoul mess much with magma yet, altough it is fun i kinda like the stuff that's going on currently :D
AS - IG

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 09:48:34 am »

You can also cheat, if you're willing to. Find any soil you have available, open matgloss_stone_soil.txt, and set that type to have [SOIL_SAND] as one of its tokens. Et voila, clay can be made into glass.
I did this, because frankly, Sandy Clay Loam has sand in its god damn name.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 10:11:28 am »

If you don't want to cheat, getting a map with both sand and magma is tricky without genning a few worlds specifically for that purpose.  If you want to gen a world for that purpose, I suggest you turn volcanism to max and rivers to max.  Both will probably give an error for having too many rejections, just ignore them both.  It'll put magma pipes everywhere and quite frankly, everyone needs a brook.  There's bound to be sand somewhere with a magma pipe that way, but the combination appears fairly rare under normal circumstances.

Remember, with sand and magma, the number of bags you have is your only real limitation for your glass industry.  Also, oddly, one of my first three artifacts always seems to be a glassmaker...

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 01:42:40 pm »

Since bags are re-usable, there are no limitations, you only need a many of the to avoid jobs keeping canceling.

Finally all those elven cloth stacks will have a use.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 06:22:32 am »

Well thanks to SquirrelWizard planting the seed of insanity i changed the plan so it accomodates magma and a defence mechanism in one, now i need to either find bauxite or buy it, and it seems the dwarwen caravans have none, dammit
AS - IG

Gelmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 01:40:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure glass walls aren't see-through anyway, though windows might be, but you can get pretty much the same effect with fortifications. You mentioned "danger", though, and it's worth noting that dwarves will flee from any wildlife they see regardless of whether or not it can reach them. It's really problematic when you're trying to work near a pit or chasm, as the dwarves tend to run away screaming because they saw a zombie antman trapped on an inaccessible ledge ten z-levels down, but they'll do much the same thing if they can see a monster through fortifications or a window or something.

If you're going to do ANYTHING that lets the dwarves see outside, even if it's something safe like carving a fortification, you're going to have to drive off or kill those pesky animals first, or else it'll bring work in the area to a halt. Almost destroyed my fort that way when a monster wandered too close to fortifications in the corridor between my food stockpiles and my dining room and the dwarves got stuck in a loop of trying to pass through so they could eat/drink and then cancelling.