Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [d16] Crash on Startup  (Read 593 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
[d16] Crash on Startup
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:04:07 am »

The game crashes on startup. The gamelog only has one line, *STARTING NEW GAME*, and no errorlog is created.

I'm on an older computer, if that might be part of the problem. I've tried updating my drivers, but the download doesn't finish.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [d16] Crash on Startup
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:35:45 pm »

What OS?  Does regular 40d work fine for you?

I've tried updating my drivers, but the download doesn't finish.

Uh, this may be indicative of bigger problems.  Why doesn't it finish?  Can't you get a friend to download them for you or something?   

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:06 pm »

I'm running XP, regular 40d works perfectly (I have about 4-5 versions, most of them modded) and the reason the download doesn't finish is because it's a ~70MB download and my internet is about as quick as a sloth rodeo, stops working occasionally and is genreally tempremental. Five minutes before this post, it dropped out again.

Such is life.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:14:25 am »

Get a download manager or something.  If you're using Firefox, this extension seems highly recommended.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 03:50:16 am »

Ooh, thanks for the link. I'll try again, and see if I can actually download it and install it without breaking my computer.