Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Underground River of Doom  (Read 6774 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground River of Doom
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 08:48:46 pm »

You have magma, but do you have sand?

If so, just line the tunnel with dozens of weapon traps using ten green glass serrated disks for each trap. Start at the far end and work your way forward so that the traps closest to the river will be filled with excellent or better weapons and the highest quality mechanisms you have. Build a bunch of butcher shops and then breach the wall. You might want to have something else to do for a while though as your FPS is going to go to hell with this many creatures pathing towards your dwarves through such a small space followed by them exploding when they hit the traps.

One advantage of doing this is that such a weapon trap will not only kill whatever steps into it (green glass weapons suck compared to most metal weapons, but ten of them will still puree anything that triggers them even if they're no-quality weapons), but it'll also result in said victim being turned into a whole bunch of random limbs as well as a corpse. At the butcher shop, the corpse will give you the normal amount of meat and bones for that size animal, but the limbs will also give you an extra bone and piece of meat.

That or build a bunch of green glass terrariums for cage traps, add [trAINABLE] to their raw files, train them, and then put them all in a single lever operated cage next to the entrance to await your next seige.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 09:30:45 pm »

After finding underground rivers sadly lacking in terror, I have modded in a few more denizens. Specifically, Giant Crabs, Giant Crayfish and Giant Lobsters. Now breaching the river in the wrong way results in a horde of pincer-snapping beasts taking my miners apart in bloody ways.

In this instance, I have a problem. I misaimed my breaching tunnel, which actually hit the river directly from below, flooding the tunnel. Fortunately the miners all escaped, and the beasties were all far enough away to not notice.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of breeding going on. Not just with my decapods, but the giant olms and toads. While this is reassuring since I know my goblin-pit-o-doom will be self-cleaning, it is making my attempts to harness the river... difficult. I have dropped a dam in near the source of the river, but the rest remains muddy and deadly.

Behold the waves of beasts in this two-level composite of the last two levels of the river. The one-level drop is marked with the red line. The lucky/unlucky breaching shaft is at the northern end.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(it uses the Mayday tileset, with custom adult and child models for the new creatures)

The issue is this: How the Pit can I clear this out?
-The critters are deadly enough to tear apart a tank, and crossbow bolts barely faze them.
-I have tried barraging them from a balcony, it does not work.
-I have an untapped magma pipe, but it is directly on the other side of the map, across two mountains and a valley.
-I would prefer to be able to harvest their hides and meat.
-I don't need any of these alive for breeding, as there is more than enough of each type in the dammed section, and in an underground pool.

How can I get out of this problem?

PS: They are still breeding.

I want this mod you did.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 04:05:18 am »

Wow that's insane...also give us the coding for it. ;D
Also magma is your solution.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 05:19:39 am »

I suppose that what makes them deadly is the fearsome lack of weaknesses that most other creatures share. The simple nervous system of these things makes them lack pain, fear and almost every other thought than "Eat intruders". Their huge, pinchy claws can cut a dwarf in twain, while their isolation in the caverns lets them build up a huge number. Their metabolism and habitat lets them live for what seems like forever through nearly unnatural hibernation and regeneration, and their thick, rock-like shells make them invulnerable to most weapons. The weaker Giant Toads and Olms serve them well as allies in their war against those who would attempt to harvest the spring waters of their home.

It's kind of like a miniature Pit. Also note that since their blood is blue, it may look like the waters of the river is rising up with them. I know it scared me a few times.

Edit: Almost forgot:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:25:48 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 05:30:51 am »

Sorry, had to fix this.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 08:13:19 am »

Now if i only knew how to find an underground river.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 01:50:22 pm »

I can think of three workable tactics:

1) train legendary ballistae operators with ballistae made from masterwork parts, dig an incredibly long tunnel, set up the ballistae at one end (in an appropriate defensive setup), connect the other end to the river, fire away as they come at you.

2) Build a "repeater" circuit as per here ( http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Repeater ). Connect it to spike traps. Lure the monsters onto the spike traps and keep them there. If you built a creature-based repeater with spike traps inside, it'd probably kill almost any non building destroyer creature imaginable, eventually.

Combine those two for best effect
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Frankmanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 02:29:21 pm »

(ProTip: the weak point is their undersides, and the best way to cause massive damage to it is magma.)

Pretty much all DF protips are "blah blah blah blah blah - Magma!"

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »

Or blah blah, FUN!!!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 05:02:43 pm »

I suppose that what makes them deadly is the fearsome lack of weaknesses that most other creatures share. The simple nervous system of these things makes them lack pain, fear and almost every other thought than "Eat intruders". Their huge, pinchy claws can cut a dwarf in twain, while their isolation in the caverns lets them build up a huge number. Their metabolism and habitat lets them live for what seems like forever through nearly unnatural hibernation and regeneration, and their thick, rock-like shells make them invulnerable to most weapons. The weaker Giant Toads and Olms serve them well as allies in their war against those who would attempt to harvest the spring waters of their home.

It's kind of like a miniature Pit. Also note that since their blood is blue, it may look like the waters of the river is rising up with them. I know it scared me a few times.

So where does this go?

Sorry, had to fix this.
What did you edit?
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »

A prefstring :D.

So where does this go?
In any creature_***.txt file, preferrably creature_subterranean.txt .

Go to /data/init/init.txt, open it, set all finder options to ALWAYS.

Now upon embark mountain tiles will contain blue ~, that's what you need.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 05:31:15 pm »

A prefstring :D.

So where does this go?
In any creature_***.txt file, preferrably creature_subterranean.txt .

Go to /data/init/init.txt, open it, set all finder options to ALWAYS.

Now upon embark mountain tiles will contain blue ~, that's what you need.
No, its the actual finding of the river.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 05:44:30 pm »

I recommend Visual Fortress- I use it as a reminder of where and where not to dig after I've forgotten the embark preview.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1272
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 05:48:49 pm »

I recommend Visual Fortress- I use it as a reminder of where and where not to dig after I've forgotten the embark preview.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1272
Would stonesense work?
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 07:05:24 pm »

So where does this go?

Sorry, had to fix this.
What did you edit?
Look at the Prefstring. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3