Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.  (Read 20356 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2010, 07:38:17 pm »

I'd like to know how large this vagina-bomb is.  Honestly, I think just hitting her with the liquid nitrogen might be the safest solution.

Amateurs...

[this post has been oversimplified and dumbed down for your convenience, and for the fact making a proper explanation would be book-length.]

You know Armok, one day you're actually going to have to write that book if you expect anyone to take your word for it on what a genius you are.  You can only keep citing a theoretical explanation for so long.

I'd love to see you write a paper.  The MLA bibliography is all like 'Armok.  "Why What I'm Saying Is Right." Sweden: Armok Press.  Published TBA. Pg??-???.'

You realize that by his logic, he is also a mass-murderer.

Also, this thread is messed up, guys.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2010, 07:57:16 pm »

Ugh, I REALLY suck at expressing myself. Especially when having slept way to little and half-blind with rage...

Yea, by the logic I stated I'm a mass murderer.
Thats my point, EVRYONE who are not temselves one of the ones in need of help, have had opetunities to save lives that they havn't taken. Any of you could right now go and donate 100$ for food or medicine to somwhere in Africa or whatever, and have a fair chance of having saved a life, but I'm fairly certain that you won't.

Spending evry minute of every day was a rediculus extreme, but the real point was that people DO have opportunities to save lives, frequently, but they chose to get plasma TV's or fancy cars instead. Finding a person rich enought to have internet accses, but has never spent significant amounts of money on luxuries, is as far as I know very, very rare.

It's not realistic to dedicate every minute of every day, but it IS realistic to stay at home and working extra instead of going to some sunny place half way around the earth. It is also posible to pass up that new computer game and instead spend the money on something more productive, etc.

I don't dedicate every minute of evry day, but I don't travel, I don't buy expensive stuff without asking myself who it benefits, and I don't spend money on games and other media when there is free stuff available on the net that is almost as good.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2010, 08:01:37 pm »

Well technically Armok is right this time because while there is actually a difference between killing people and letting them die, there is none from the point of view he proposed at first : Whether someone will live or die depends on you. The choice you make, whether it is not killing him or giving him money or becoming a scientist, determines how much you value life. And, Vector, if you want to do anything you can to save lives, I doubt you can say that it is the case of the whole "Life is sacred !" crowd. Plus, if you really believe being happy and discovering mathematical things is the very best way to prevent third-world kids from dying, you're wrong ; but if you can admit your own hard-wired egocentrism to yourself, then his remark wasn't addressed to you anyway.

But yeah, Armok, still annoying. Proving to someone that no one cares about anything but themselves takes like half a page. I join the group of people who are eager to know what mysterious discoveries you are hiding from the world.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2010, 08:03:35 pm »

Fair enough.

Ugh, I REALLY suck at expressing myself. Especially when having slept way to little and half-blind with rage...
Spending evry minute of every day was a rediculus extreme, but the real point was that people DO have opportunities to save lives, frequently, but they chose to get plasma TV's or fancy cars instead. Finding a person rich enought to have internet accses, but has never spent significant amounts of money on luxuries, is as far as I know very, very rare.

I just wanted to point out that I'm from an excessively poor country. Internet is very cheap here.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2010, 08:12:41 pm »

Everyone and their mother has internet. I should know, mother has been spamming my email with death threats and she's fucking poor.

Really though this isn't going anywhere good.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2010, 08:19:08 pm »

Oh, right, forgot about that... guess my assumption dosn't hold, and you're excluded then?
For those that are from rich countries, it still applies.

Cyx: Thanks, yea that is basically correct, I'm still to dizzy from sleep deprivation to think or formulate things clearly.
You're wrong abaut evryone being 100% selfish thou... just the vast, vast majority are. But there are still, I estimate, many thousand altruists in the world. They don't tend to frequent gaming forums however...

Ninjaedit: Another one? Perhaps I underestimated the filtering effect of having net accesses, but that seems odd. My assumption is more or less "2 billion of the richest 3 billion in the world have internet, and almost nobody else", with some 30% uncertainties in all directions.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2010, 08:27:15 pm »

Really though this isn't going anywhere good.

Fixed.

Also, ~not~ spending your money and going places isn't saintly either. Buying expensive things after all, does help pay the plethora of people involved in suppling it to you. Who in turn buy things and help more people.

I wish there was a name for such a structure of a bunch of people all selling skills and goods and receiving currency to spend on other skills and goods. But I just can't think of what to call it.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2010, 08:34:10 pm »

I opened up this thread, went to the last page, and the first thing I saw was Aqizzar saying "vagina bomb".

I hate all of you, and this thread too for good measure.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2010, 08:37:32 pm »

I for one support Taiwanese workers by buying as many Plasma TVs as possible.
 Also, while searching for this information I found the rate that they are importing coal from the US has increased by four-thousand percent. Holy crap I need to get into that.

But yeah, by not destroying money you help people out by stimulating the economy. In fact, the only way you could deny money to people is to invest in a bank, and even they give out loans to people.

"But that money could go towards helping people!"

True, but YOU could also not be telling us this on a public internet forum and instead be protesting before your government to improve things as you see fit, as to make sure such a cause is looked at by your government.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »

Depends on how you define selfishness. The way I see it, people help each other because they'll feel better about themselves and/or are led to by evolutionary strategies bred into them. But no matter how many people you help, you'll never act strictly for their good, but always according to something in you ; sometimes it overlaps, but morally speaking it's never more altruistic than stealing money from a drug addict.

And why is that ? Because you are you, you think and you feel, but ultimately everyone and everything else is mere information. Information only makes you act when you have something to judge it with. But you can't judge it with someone else's happiness or well-being or worldview, because to you those are informations too. You have to judge it with your own.
Thus we are all absolutely egocentric, in the sense that we cannot do something for someone else. Altruism is still important to our survival and happiness, though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:27:52 pm by Cyx »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2010, 08:57:12 pm »

How many times am I going to have to see another armchair Mother Teresa saying it's evil not to spend your whole life repenting for the sin of being born not-poor?  Excuse me for not living on my shoestrings and donating every spare dime to ineffectual charities and letting out use of my home.  I'm already impoverished myself dammit, this Internet connection is the only luxury I possess.  Excuse me for not martyring myself in shame, knowing that somewhere in the world there's someone with a harder life than mine.

I opened up this thread, went to the last page, and the first thing I saw was Aqizzar saying "vagina bomb".

I hate all of you, and this thread too for good measure.

This on the other hand fills me with glee.  Weird distractions are a good thing for the world.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2010, 09:02:42 pm »

If I we lived in an escapist world it would be really really really cool.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2010, 09:09:08 pm »

Oops.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2010, 09:20:14 pm »

If I we lived
What

You obviously don't understand. Toony is a singular plural.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14