Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.  (Read 20427 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2010, 02:55:49 pm »

It would be completely subjective. As a very basic example, people tend to put most of their eggs in one basket. A person who bases their life on hoping a prince (or princess) charming is going to save them from all their personal troubles while taking their virginity is going to be traumatized by the removal of that hope/delusion/way-of-life more so than someone who doesn't rely on others to make them happy about their own life. The financial contender who loses his money or realizes his plans are fruitless would be another example, compared to someone content with averageness or is already financially stable.

I'd prefer for counterclaims to be against the idea, compared to my literal generic, fairy-tale examples : P
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2010, 03:03:44 pm »

Personally... I feel that, to some extent, you just cannot rate crimes at the higher end of the spectrum in any meaningful order.  It depends on circumstance, and rape and murder are both terrible crimes that should receive large punishments.  Can't we just leave it at that?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 03:25:28 pm »

In order to have a reasonable system of sentencing criminals, you have to rank the crimes. Or at least assign ranges of "badness value" to them which correspond to punishment and amount to a ranking of the crimes.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »

Yes, but is it necessary to say "Crime x is always worse than crime y since..."

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 06:29:36 pm »

Yes it is, a law system needs to be objective as a subjective one will result in horrible unfairness.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2010, 07:31:52 pm »

Firsty, Murder can be justified, unlike Rape. I don't think it would be very far from the truth to say that every single person on earth has heard a story of someone murdering another person and felt that the murder was just. Had the attempted assassination of Hitler succeeded, I don't think too many people would have shed too many tears. If a robber came into your parents or siblings home, and they defended themselves by killed him in cold blood, you'd likely think that would be justified. Murder is a common activity for Heroes in any tale, whether past or present.

That doesn't mean we always exalt murderers as the good guys(Certainly not as much in modern society), of course they're sent right of to jail (sometimes to be killed themselves) unless it was made abundantly clear that they where defending themselves.

Rape, on the other hand, can't be justified.

Side Note: Now, I'm not saying all listed Sexual Offenders as Rapists. Just throwing in my 2 cents on the whole "Why is Rape worse than Murder" bit.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2010, 07:34:51 pm »

Not that I don't agree that murders can be justified, but defending your own home counts as self defense or manslaughter (I think?) at worst.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 07:39:58 pm »

All of Hitlers loyal countrymen would shed tears. Nearly everyone in the country loved and thats why they let him get away with all of his shit.

You cannot value life and still call murder justifiable (I'm going to assume you value life here.), who are you, or Anyone for that matter, to say what is punishable by death or not? Who are you to say what is right and what is wrong?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 07:41:32 pm »

Guys, we totally need urinals in the street, or pay a small tax that will go to business establishments that have urinals to convince them to let non-customers use their bathrooms. Seriously, sometimes I'll be swaggering about in the city, and I will be struck with a sudden urge to pee. I don't want to have to find some urinal or wait till I get home, I want to be able to just walk into a fast-food place and use their bathroom.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2010, 07:45:31 pm »

Actually, you're right. I cannot in good conscience pretend I value life and call murder justifiable. What I mean is, if one death saved billions of lives, then that one death should happen, no question but you can never know that. But then it gets muddled from peoples viewpoints. I mean, terrorists who really believe in their cause would save lives at the expense of others.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2010, 07:50:14 pm »

The system is very hair trigger, and that gets in the way of things. As of now, myself and 5 other guys are going to the principal because we've been getting threats from a girl who doesn't like us that if we talk to certain people, dress like guidos ironically, etc. etc., she will shout 'rape' and get us screwed over for life. Thing is, even if I were twenty feet away, bound to a chair, with no means of even looking in her direction, I would get that sex offender label faster than the cops could call me a 'motherfucking scumbag', or whatever hardcore, gritty cop line they would use.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2010, 07:52:01 pm »

Actually, you're right. I cannot in good conscience pretend I value life and call murder justifiable. What I mean is, if one death saved billions of lives, then that one death should happen, no question but you can never know that. But then it gets muddled from peoples viewpoints. I mean, terrorists who really believe in their cause would save lives at the expense of others.

There is a simple solution to your conundrum.  You can say that life has no inherent value.  Harsh, but it does solve the question.

Or just accept that morality is inherently contradictory, and that we as sentient beings possess the power of judgment for a reason, even if we can't make perfectly solid or even tangible rules about how we exercise it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2010, 07:54:26 pm »

I could, but I won't, because I value human life.

That second part I do, however, agree about though I wish you wouldn't use so many big words.

I accept that, if a murder is examined enough it could be that the murder was a good thing for everybody who wasn't the victim and saved lives But only then.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2010, 07:55:50 pm »

But thats were thing start getting iffy. Who are you to say that those thousand people deserve life more than the one? Are we going to leave things that should be debated over and over to simple arithmetic?
There is a simple solution to your conundrum.  You can say that life has no inherent value.  Harsh, but it does solve the question.

Or just accept that morality is inherently contradictory, and that we as sentient beings possess the power of judgment for a reason, even if we can't make perfectly solid or even tangible rules about how we exercise it.
When you start thinking like this then you start debating whether people are more important than things, and then when you say that a thing is more important than a human, and you believe it, that is the point when you no longer have the right to call your self a human being.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 07:58:19 pm »

Fuck, stop making me think about these things! I'm supposed to be playing Halo and typing 'ur a fag' everywhere on Youtube, not contemplating morality!

Could it maybe be possible that each murder is an individual occurrence and must be viewed as such?

I DON'T KNOW. I'm flopping around here like a drowning fish.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14