Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.  (Read 20422 times)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 12:28:25 am »

People pee in the street. Mostly drunk people and hobo's, but it happens. And then, you're walking along minding your own business and you step in hobo pee.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IT'S THE FUTURE MAN.

How high are muggings in that area? I mean, I know of at least one man who hauled off and broke a guys nose for not obeying the men's room code of conduct.

The first rule of Urinal Club is you don't talk about Urinal Club?  ;D
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 12:29:58 am »

Standing next to him at the urinal. And frankly, I sympathies with the assailant.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 12:56:28 am »

I'd agree with the OP. I know some victims of sexual abuse, and I sympathize with them greatly. But you have to know where to draw the line. Jail for some years is enough.

America drags it out almost into psychological torture. They list them on the Internet. They're left without jobs, ostracized. There's a whole lot of hate, and people will just stalk them, threatening to kill them. It's technically a limited sentence, but practically a life one.

What's worse is how loosely "sex offenders" is defined. Yes, there are rapists and pedophiles. But a 18-year-old having sex with her 17-year-old boyfriend is classified as a pedophile. There's a big difference between that and a 40-year-old teacher having sex with her 14-year-old student. And yeah, the public urinating thing. Or people who get drunk/senile and forget to wear their pants when they leave the house to get the mail.

All those people get viewed as "rapists and pedophiles" when someone looks on the Internet and finds out that they're sex offenders.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 01:41:33 am »

Muz got to the point before I did, I would sympathize with someone who happened to pee in a deserted alleyway while a police officer happens to walk by, and should not be placed on the same level as a serious offender, such as someone who committed a real sexual offense.

*derail/merge*
If our beloved US actually cracked down on The War on Drugs, there would be no drug underground, or it would be much more obscure. The sexual offense witch-hunt proves how if there was real dedication to a problem, the government as a whole could respond to it in a no-nonsense way. Of course, the government is mainly comprised of humans, and therefore do not act appropriately to emotionally charged problem. Please discuss.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 02:22:52 am »

Saying american society punishes sex offenders too harshly says it punishes pedophiles and rapists too harshly.

I don't think you'll find anyone, regardless of religion or social status, that condones that. Except maybe sex offenders themselves.

I do think statutory rape should be taken more lightly though, in cases when the offender is 19 year old and the "victim" is 17, or even 16, 15 is maybe a bit too much. And chemical castration for pedophiles should be thought over a bit more, maybe keeping it only for people who have a serious disorder and will never be able to "heal" themselves from it.

Otherwise, I think sex offenders are punished fairly right now, and I'm an atheist liberal.

Chemical castration eh? I suppose murders should be shot, drunk drivers run over and anyone who's ever downloaded music forced to pay 10,000 dollars a song?

I've never really understood the sudden and violent outrage people have about this one subject, yet they seem so uncaring about murder and hate crime. I'm actually curious what the percentage of "sex offenders" are that are really the hard core child rapists and what percentage are guys who got caught with a 17 year old who said she was 19 and had a fake ID or something similar. I know of a guy who got charged with a sex crime because some drunk lady started to beat on him so he pushed her away. That was it, thats all, but they charged him with a sex crime. The system is so violently abused and broken it's practically a farce half the time.

The war on drugs is even worse. I mean, first of don't get me started on the whole yellow journalism bullshit about pot that basically meant that hemp usage in industry is now practically   non-existent, but honestly if there is anything that Prohibition taught us it's that trying to make a widely used substance illegal will never work. Worse yet it just creates all sorts of new crime and gangs to deal in that substance. Prohibition helped the mafia and the drug wars helped the gangs.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 02:41:34 am »

Well, it's said that rape is (almost) worse than murder. It ruins a person's life. In some countries more than others. It's as jarring on a person's psychology as cutting up their family members and eating them, and can leave victims traumatized for life. Again, it's heavier on some more than others, as there are a lot of rape victims who get married with an understanding guy and have normal kids and happy endings. And then again, there are those who kill themselves.

War on drugs is another thing. You can't compare it to prohibition. You're stopping the use before it becomes a widely used substance. Personally, I think the world is better off drinking Coke than alcohol, because alcohol does indeed ruin some lives. If you declare Peace on Drugs, teenagers could be smoking crack the way they smoke tobacco today. You can't crack down on drugs the way you crack down on sex offenders, because drug dealers (and users) have big firearms. All the alternatives are bad, it's just damage control.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 02:41:58 am »

It's also worth saying.....well, someone should make a thread on The War on Drugs and Prostitution before I start discussing that.

Government officials are half-assing attempts to meet a misguided public outcry. The first derivative of logic is 'Do the worst you can to sexual offenders! They are bad!' The second derivative would be more like, 'Sexual offenses should be degreed like every other crime, with corresponding, scaling punishments.'

Then the people who seperate their emotions from their judgment would consider why severe sexual offenses occur in the first place, and what means can be taken to both educate common victims on what circumstances as associated with these events and how to prevent potential offenders from becoming that depraved or unstable in the first place.

Nobody goes outside one day and thinks "I'm going to rape someone today". On that note, it's interesting how many people commonly think, "I'm going to expose myself to perception-altering substances and throw myself at the potential will of others in a 'my actions now are more important than the outcomes and negative repercussions of others' type of setting."
While talking to AJ:

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 02:44:12 am »

Wouldn't any virgins above age 21, by American social outlook, count as a sexual offenders as well, just because they didn't get laid when they were younger than 18? Talk about punishment from the public.

I mean, just look at how the media portrays and abuses anyone that carries that "stigma" especially for religious reasons. The reason I would assume it would count as a sexual offense is due to "Ignoring the call", or not "Tapping dat ass", or some bullcrap brainwash that's going on. I mean, "The 40-Year Old Virgin" is a comedy that's show's just how bad the perception of this has gotten. Though, you gotta admit, between 20-40, he probably should've been able to get a date somewhere along the line; but I think he explained that he just didn't take interest or something. I don't remember.

I've never really understood the sudden and violent outrage people have about this one subject, yet they seem so uncaring about murder and hate crime. I'm actually curious what the percentage of "sex offenders" are that are really the hard core child rapists and what percentage are guys who got caught with a 17 year old who said she was 19 and had a fake ID or something similar. I know of a guy who got charged with a sex crime because some drunk lady started to beat on him so he pushed her away. That was it, thats all, but they charged him with a sex crime. The system is so violently abused and broken it's practically a farce half the time.
Ugh; this was, and is always, a fear of mine anytime I go out and try to talk to women.

I always came up with a theory, and I keep getting comments about how negative I am and such from all sorts of people, including some family members,  about how there are certain girls that actually do this, COMPLETELY AWARE OF THEIR AGE, AND THEIR TARGET'S AGE, AND THE ABUSE LEVEL OF LAWS AS THEY STAND. They don't do this because they hunt pedophiles; no, they're sociopaths that do this for frikkin' sport.

I'm a man, I shouldn't be afraid of girls, but this is ridiculous. I mean, in high school, just after turning 18, I got hit on by all sorts of 15-year-olds and such, and they either got the hint and persisted (sociopaths as I labeled), or didn't get the hint about something called an age gap.

The more I think on this, the less interested in dating I get.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:53:55 am by Itnetlolor »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 02:52:20 am »

Oh, looks like my derail initiative failed. At least we got 3 pages without anything wildly offensive. Go team!

Nobody goes outside one day and thinks "I'm going to rape someone today".

Except serial rapists? Just sayin'. The rest of what you said I agree with.

Wouldn't any virgins above age 21, by American social outlook, count as a sexual offenders as well, just because they didn't get laid when they were younger than 18? Talk about punishment from the public.

Wait wat.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 02:55:38 am »

They'd be ostracized, sure, but it wouldn't be the goverment doing it.

There's a difference. Small, but it's there. Plus they didn't commit any crimes.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 02:56:35 am »

Wait wat.
I'm not kidding. Just take a gander at the media, ranging from Comedy Central to E! to MTV, and even some shows on FOX and other stations. Apparently virginity counts as a sex crime due to a twisted outlook from the public. It makes no sense.

They'd be ostracized, sure, but it wouldn't be the goverment doing it.

There's a difference. Small, but it's there. Plus they didn't commit any crimes.
I dunno, there are those that practically treat it like a crime. I mean, portrayal that women wouldn't want anything to do with virgins, as if they're sexual offenders for example, and vice-versa with women's view on men treating them the same way.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:00:34 am by Itnetlolor »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 02:59:53 am »

Well those people are dickheads.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 03:16:17 am »

Okay, I can see what your getting at Itnetlolor, but comparing virgins to sexual offenders is just... an unexpected juxtaposition.

Oh hay an edit I didn't see.

I'm a man, I shouldn't be afraid of girls, but this is ridiculous. I mean, in high school, just after turning 18, I got hit on by all sorts of 15-year-olds and such, and they either got the hint and persisted (sociopaths as I labeled), or didn't get the hint about something called an age gap.

Usually when I've seen this, it's young girls (convinced they are) sincerely interested in older men rather than malevolent sociopaths. Maybe the girls in your area got an extra helping of crazy, though.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 03:36:22 am »

haha by "I'm going to go sexually offend people today", I meant out of the blue, as in there's some serious leading up to that state of mind, I would assume.

It pains me to wonder how a rapist could become serial, unless there were killings involved. Those are the people the laws are pushing against.
While talking to AJ:

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 04:15:44 am »

Believe it or not, there are a lot of willing sex offenders out there. Yeah, half of rapists/pedos do it out by uncontrollable lust + an opportunity, like seeing a pretty, drunk/naive girl passed out somewhere. Then there are the few people who actively hang around Facebook, Myspace, IRC, YM, Omegle daily for sex with underage girls. I've hung around chat rooms long enough to find quite a lot of them. I'm pretty sure there are online communities dedicated to meeting together willing, underaged girls and sleazy old men with money. The FBI catches some, but the fact that they have a unit trained to pose as naive teenage girls shows that there's way too many out there.

And then you have the people who actually try to rape people. It actually happens a lot more where there's minimum law enforcement. There's plenty of stories about parents/brothers who rape a daughter/sister whenever they feel like it, and the girl only reports it 20 years later, after her husband encourages her to. Historically, there have been concubines, who are subject to the same treatment, without any guilt. An unrepentant rapist almost always turns into a serial rapist. It's like an addiction thing.

tl; dr: "Nobody goes outside one day and thinks "I'm going to rape someone today"" is pretty damn far from the truth. Because sadly, it works like that a lot, and that's the kind of thing the witch hunters are afraid of.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14