Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.  (Read 20425 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 06:23:20 am »

Anyone remember when some cop said that the only reason an adult would play Animal Crossing is because they are a pedophile?
!!&!!

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 08:43:58 am »

To be fair to the cop, there is that section in the game where you have to have sex with a minor.

Personally, I'm always confused by people finding rape worse than murder. While both are quite obviously two of the worse possible acts a human can inflict upon another human, I find murder worse. A rape victim still gets to lead a crappy life (and of course potentially a pleasant life), whereas a murder victim doesn't. Bad life > no life, in my opinion.

I suppose the distinction is made because if we told our children that murderers are worse than paedophiles, we wouldn't get many people joining the military.
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 08:48:21 am »

To be fair to the cop, there is that section in the game where you have to have sex with a minor.

What. This is a kids game right?

Sure, I was as freaked out as anyone by the let's play of the game, but what?

Elaborate.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 09:19:25 am »

It's after the part where you bake a cake with a panda, and sing about how sharing is the most important thing ever.

Anyway yeah, that doesn't happen. Just a tasteless joke, sorry! :/
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 10:32:30 am »

Thinking murder and rape are the worst things you can do to someone show a complete lack of imagination. With murder you're dead and that's it and whilst rape can be traumatic it's hardly the most traumatic thing possible.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2010, 11:07:06 am »

It's extremely traumatic, and can completely destroy someone's life.

An older member of my family repeatedly molested several other members of my family.  One of them is a deadbeat who does drugs and pirates software (This is the one I recently mentioned as being registered as a sex offender) and another is brash and bossy in a vain attempt to hide that she always looks like she's about to lose it and shoot herself.
Shoes...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 11:27:07 am »

Nobody's saying it's not extremely traumatic just that there are potentially worse things

maybe like killing an entire country except for one person would probably be worse than rape for that person

or chopping off all their limbs and paralyzing them but keeping them alive for years on life support

and I could go on and on
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 11:29:22 am »

I didn't say they were the two worst things you could do, I said they were two of the worst things. Torture is obviously up there alongside them, it just wasn't relevant to mention it or construct a list of every terrible thing you can do to another human...

Besides, I stick behind 'death is the worse thing ever'. Nothing is worse than death. The most horrific, physically-scarring torture imaginable is still better. In my opinion!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 11:38:01 am »

The people who kill themselves after being raped would beg to differ.
Shoes...

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 11:41:51 am »

There are people who have killed themselves because they lost all their money. Is being poor worse than being dead?

EDIT - what I originally meant was 'murder is worse than rape' anyway, which is different. I kind of sabotaged my own argument there...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:44:30 am by Naero »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 11:48:40 am »

Is being poor worse than being dead?

Maybe they figured they can't be poor if they're dead?  That's not exactly the most rational approach, but who said they were behaving rationally?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2010, 11:58:20 am »

This isn't a sliding scale of trauma, guys.  It's all subjective.  To the head of a 200-year-old banking institution, being dead may be very appealing compared to being poor.  Sports Illustrated did a survey several years ago where they asked Olympic Athletes "If you had a drug that would guarantee a gold medal in the Olympics, but also guarantee your death in five years, would you take it?"  Something in the province of 70% said they would take it.

In the same way, some people would consider rape not to be a huge deal.  Others cease to function in a meaningful way after something like that.
Shoes...

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2010, 12:11:33 pm »

Pshaw, I think we could devise some kind of sliding scale of trauma using science! We'll need a large test group, and some kind of quantifiable measure of trauma - I suggest the deciwail.

It's subjective whether death or rape are even bad at all. We would still reach a consensus that it was bad if we discussed it though, I hope!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2010, 12:41:31 pm »

Besides, I stick behind 'death is the worse thing ever'. Nothing is worse than death. The most horrific, physically-scarring torture imaginable is still better. In my opinion!

Oh come on there are so many things worse than death and all of them involve being alive
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2010, 01:45:25 pm »

I wish I could respond to this thread, but horrible things would happen... :(
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14