Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World changing events/cataclisms  (Read 843 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
World changing events/cataclisms
« on: January 29, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »

After watching some controlled cave-in movies where towns are leveled and goblin towers fall but without completely disappearing it occurred to me that during world-gen and maybe even during gameplay (either adv/fortress mode) world changing events should occur like meteor impacts, megavolcanoes, uber-earthquakes, or tsunamies that completely change regions raising islands, sunking lands (leaving cities underwater) and leaving half-leveled ruins that become partially inaccessible or need to be dug down to reach the goodies. Also, this type of events should be added to legends to add to the narrative and lore of individual regions and people.

For example a big earthquake opens continent spanning chasm separating the whole continent in two and releasing hordes of demons that take over half a continent an creating their own demon/goblin civ.

Also it would be cool if good/evil regions where more interconnected in relationship to their alignment so that several evil or good regions end up covering a whole continental area. Maybe this could create world wars, Lord of the Rings style, between good civs and evil civs instead of only free-for-all skirmishes between civs.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: World changing events/cataclisms
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

Sadly, due to the way the world gen works, most worlds will only have one "whole continental area," though I suspect this may change eventually.

And meteoric impacts have already been suggested at least once (even if it was possibly intended to be a joke), as my sig can testify.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »

Well, It could work out with just one continent as long as the cataclysm changes it somehow noticeably.

Also, I was suggesting not necessarily meteors but any kind or world spanning event that has a perdurable effect on the history just to make it more interesting.

Anyway, I think that adding geography changing events during world-gen would add a lot of realism and variety to the terrain since it has cause-effect properties that terrain-displacement and other single-pass terrain-gen algorithms lack. It's like what Toady already does when he generates a single embarking area by adding chasms, vents and underground rivers. Only on a bigger scale.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:29:00 am »

I would be realy pissed if my fortress was wiped from the earth by a meteorite with no warning, no way to avoid it and no way to recover.

In other words: Not during gameplay.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

Well, it could happen during gameplay in any region other than yours  ;)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

It could happen during gameplay if you MAKE IT HAPPEN.

eg.

Careful, specific channelling of magma -> Increased temperature and decreased vegetation in the surrounding areas.
Releasing demons and not managing to kill them all or seal the pits -> Surrounding area becomes evil-aligned.
Concentrate and melt enough pitchblende -> Surrounding area becomes contaminated by a mysterious substance that causes dwarves to vomit and is not sunlight. (Yeah, you all knew this was coming.  :roll: )

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.