Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Dictionary pulled from school shelves as "sexually graphic"  (Read 17963 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Dictionary pulled from school shelves as "sexually graphic"
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2010, 02:37:41 pm »

"If you commit sexual activity your genitals will explode."
Technically...
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2010, 03:53:07 pm »

Left to right.
75+
__

How can you do that left to right?  I'm twelve years old and what is this?

I'm a math major, and I actually do not only mental addition, but also some mental multiplication, left-to-right.  I learned right-to-left in school/from my mother, but left-to-right is actually not only faster, but also much less mentally taxing.

I'm not certain that it should be taught left-to-right in schools, since it seems like one of those things that needs to be self-developed rather than indoctrinated (much like computation via approximation).

As far as the censorship goes, I'd say it's a tad bit ridiculous.  I got most of my sex-ed from my mother when I was 5 ("This is sex.  It is not for you unless you are married.  Drugs, by the way, are never for you.").  The school system's sex ed was pretty much what I'd learned from books, with a few things about peer pressure that had never applied or come up (by virtue of my being a bit of a loner).

Though we must protect our children, there is a point at which "protection" becomes a hindrance.  I'd say that's around when we start pulling good dictionaries off shelves and making it nearly impossible to get a reasonable vocabulary.

Not have sex until married may sound reasonable to an adult, but to a teenager that would require a willpower of steel.

Hm... my parents actually phrased it as "not having sex until committed to the point of being practically married to the person," which never seemed like an unreasonable constraint at all.

For what it's worth, by the way, I'm 20 >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 04:15:11 pm »

Getting back on track...

As far as the censorship goes, I'd say it's a tad bit ridiculous.  I got most of my sex-ed from my mother when I was 5 ("This is sex.  It is not for you unless you are married.  Drugs, by the way, are never for you.").  The school system's sex ed was pretty much what I'd learned from books, with a few things about peer pressure that had never applied or come up (by virtue of my being a bit of a loner).

Though we must protect our children, there is a point at which "protection" becomes a hindrance.  I'd say that's around when we start pulling good dictionaries off shelves and making it nearly impossible to get a reasonable vocabulary.
Semi-related: 3rd edition Official Scrabble Players' Dictionaries omit offensive words. Down to, I kid you not, "fart".

I think that "protecting" children from knowledge is an ill-conceived idea. If you are going to attempt anything of the sort, you should be required to first show that harm is in fact caused by the thing you are trying to "protect" them from.

As this has not been done, we should not censor such things.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 04:17:32 pm »

I agree. It's like trying to protect your kids from traffic by making sure they never learn that cars exist.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »

thay must wear blinkers when thay go into the newageints.
"oral stimulation of the genitals"all that is all it not a step by step how to book.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2010, 06:01:05 pm »

I wonder how many 4-5th graders that this dictionary was corrupting actually know what "genitals" or "oral stimulation" means anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2010, 06:02:30 pm »

Let's not forget that they have a dictionary on hand.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 06:03:18 pm »

...How foolish of me.  Well, at least they're learning proper research skills.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 06:12:40 pm »

Its only a matter of time until Wiki gets shut down for some similar problem. It's almost a matter of 'if it works out this way, it should work out this way for everything'.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2010, 06:19:35 pm »

Quite. And, of course, one must wonder what sorts of effects this attempted ban will have, successful or not. For once, I doubt it'll boost M-W's sales significantly. On the flip side, perhaps this move will make more "impressionable" youths flock to dictionaries and *gasp* becoming more literate! The horror!

thay must wear blinkers when thay go into the newageints.
"oral stimulation of the genitals"all that is all it not a step by step how to book.
Please put more effort into writing comprehensibly.

Its only a matter of time until Wiki gets shut down for some similar problem. It's almost a matter of 'if it works out this way, it should work out this way for everything'.
Logically this statement is equivalent to "if it should not work this way for everything, then it should not work this way for this thing".
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »

It'd be funny if this was all a Xanatos Gambit by the moral guardians into making education into 'taboo' and thus make kids want to learn from the 'want things that you can't have' instinct.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2010, 08:05:29 pm »

It'd be funny if this was all a Xanatos Gambit by the moral guardians into making education into 'taboo' and thus make kids want to learn from the 'want things that you can't have' instinct.

Never attribute to awesome that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »

Never attribute to awesome that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Thomas Jefferson with a Jetpack disagrees with you.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2010, 10:21:12 pm »

Perhaps.

I should note that by "wearing more condoms" I don't mean he wanted to wear them more often, that would've been a good thing.

He resolved to wear more than one condom at a time.  :|

Wait, that's dangerous. The friction between two condoms will cause tears in the latex.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 10:23:54 pm »

If you're wearing multiple condoms, tearing them is the least of your worries.  Others include looking like a derptard, not actually feeling anything, looking like a derptard, and being a derptard.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17