Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Dictionary pulled from school shelves as "sexually graphic"  (Read 17954 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Dictionary pulled from school shelves as "sexually graphic"
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 11:22:23 am »

Other than STDs?  And what's to stop them from doing other stuff once they've tried that out?

So proper sex ed solves another problem?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 11:23:22 am »

Censorship is proper when it comes to children. There's an opposite side here in the news where 3 schoolboys had oral sex with each each other after finding out what it was.

How is that a bad thing exactly

Explain to me without using emotional appeals and also keep in mind that it's not uncommon for kids to sexually experiment even before hitting puberty
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 11:25:48 am »

I honestly don't think sex ed solves anything.  We had it in sixth grade.  When told that condoms were less effective at preventing HPV as they were at things like AIDS, one student simply resolved to wear more condoms.

That's the mentality they're dealing with here.

They did have a slideshow that probably put some people off sex forever.
Shoes...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 11:32:17 am »

I honestly don't think sex ed solves anything.  We had it in sixth grade.  When told that condoms were less effective at preventing HPV as they were at things like AIDS, one student simply resolved to wear more condoms.

That just shows that the sex education you get given right now is crap not that it's bad idea to give sex education to kids. If anything it's a good argument for needing more of the stuff.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 11:35:49 am »

Perhaps.

I should note that by "wearing more condoms" I don't mean he wanted to wear them more often, that would've been a good thing.

He resolved to wear more than one condom at a time.  :|
Shoes...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »

So? One person comes to a faulty conclusion so sex edd must be bad? You just point out the flaw in his logic.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 12:57:17 pm »

That's the mentality they're dealing with here.

They did have a slideshow that probably put some people off sex forever.
It seems sex ed is more about telling kids to wear condoms these days, more than explaining the consequences of premarital and premature sex, as well as the moral reasons as to why one must wait at least until adulthood (Past 21 years of age, not 18) to try it out. Let's not forget the excluded science behind what goes on with the system (hormones and likewise), so that they understand what's going on, and how to resist urges (or turn them away from the urges initially).

Religious reasons are excluded from that statement, mind you. It seems responsibility is excluded in education of the topic these days. I mean, if they truly want to teach the sex ed they want kids to learn, then they should toss in economics classes, and all sorts of things, along with some hell training on maturity so they can raise an undernourished bastard child with ungodly limited funds and opportunities, and a crappy income, while under-qualified for properly funding careers, due to missed opportunities caused by early child raising.

Sex ed courses should have Reality Law education included in order to knock sense into kids why they must wait until FULL maturity before attempting sex, instead of reaching 18, or first relationship or drunken 1-nighter.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:02:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 01:00:24 pm »

So? One person comes to a faulty conclusion so sex edd must be bad? You just point out the flaw in his logic.

I was just giving an example, that was the general mentality of most of the class.
Shoes...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 01:03:12 pm »

I... probably should keep away from this topic, considering recent events. (actually, even saying that...)Suffice to say I'm happy I'm not from the US.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 01:22:04 pm »

People were having sex at young age throughout history, it won't stop just because it offends puritan sensibilities. Best you can do is tell them how to do it responsibly. Repressing sexuality just makes for messed-up adults.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 01:48:21 pm »

It seems sex ed is more about telling kids to wear condoms these days, more than explaining the consequences of premarital and premature sex, as well as the moral reasons as to why one must wait at least until adulthood (Past 21 years of age, not 18) to try it out. Let's not forget the excluded science behind what goes on with the system (hormones and likewise), so that they understand what's going on, and how to resist urges (or turn them away from the urges initially).
You must be from outside Europe, I'm guessing. However, with statements like this you'd be right at home among Polish catholic conservative puritans.
Hold on, Poland is in Europe... oh, the paradox is killing me.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »

Perhaps.

I should note that by "wearing more condoms" I don't mean he wanted to wear them more often, that would've been a good thing.

He resolved to wear more than one condom at a time.  :|
I don't see any flaws in his plan.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2010, 02:29:43 pm »

Repressing sexuality just makes for messed-up adults.
See 1984.

[It seems sex ed is more about telling kids to wear condoms these days, more than explaining the consequences of premarital and premature sex, as well as the moral reasons as to why one must wait at least until adulthood (Past 21 years of age, not 18) to try it out. Let's not forget the excluded science behind what goes on with the system (hormones and likewise), so that they understand what's going on, and how to resist urges (or turn them away from the urges initially).

For a start, what are the moral reasons for waiting until 21. Most people are reproductively mature before they're 16, and to be honest unless they've lived completely cloistered lives or the opposite extreme, they're normally mature enough to handle a bit of rumpy pumpy not long after that.
(hur hur I said rumpy pumpy hur hur hur.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:34:50 pm by Maggarg - Eater of chicke »
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2010, 02:34:56 pm »

Just telling them to wear a condom is still better than the Abstinence crap some groups keep preaching at the top of their lung, while attempting to rid of of actual sex ed because it "promotes sex". Not have sex until married may sound reasonable to an adult, but to a teenager that would require a willpower of steel. They're eventually going to break, and since they never had a proper sex ed class, they'll have no idea what safe sex is.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2010, 02:35:40 pm »

"If you commit sexual activity your genitals will explode."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17