Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Dictionary pulled from school shelves as "sexually graphic"  (Read 17936 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Dictionary pulled from school shelves as "sexually graphic"
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 08:51:48 pm »

You know the exact same argument happens every generation Itnetlolor. guess what, it's not happening. enjoy.

If a trend can be drawn, it's that uptight parents tend to produce hipster kids, and hipster parents tend to produce uptight kids.  It cycles back and forth between generations of straightbacks and screwoffs.

By way of examples, most of my friends had hardcore parents who forced them through Boy Scouts, band camps, and absolutely no R-rated movies until teenagehood.  They're all addicted to grotesque anime and homemade fireworks.  Then there's me, a few years of burnout away from becoming the liberal Henry Kissinger.  Why?  Because I was raised by a rock'n'rollin', pot smokin' single father, and one of us had to be the adult.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 08:55:31 pm »

I remember the dictionaries at my elementary school.
They were those fancy illustrated ones with a few pictures in the margins.
Nobody seemed to care that there was one for breasts.
If I remember correctly though, it was an anatomical diagram.
Like so. (Possibly NSFW)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 09:04:09 pm »

You know the exact same argument happens every generation Itnetlolor. guess what, it's not happening. enjoy.

If a trend can be drawn, it's that uptight parents tend to produce hipster kids, and hipster parents tend to produce uptight kids.  It cycles back and forth between generations of straightbacks and screwoffs.

By way of examples, most of my friends had hardcore parents who forced them through Boy Scouts, band camps, and absolutely no R-rated movies until teenagehood.  They're all addicted to grotesque anime and homemade fireworks.  Then there's me, a few years of burnout away from becoming the liberal Henry Kissinger.  Why?  Because I was raised by a rock'n'rollin', pot smokin' single father, and one of us had to be the adult.

My sympathies for your future children Aqizzar.

Also, doing arithmetic from left to right isn't hard. I figured out how to do it years ago without ever being instructed to do it that way. It's, surprisingly, faster than the normal way.

Take this problem:

46,890+
-------

For here, we add 2 and 4 together to get 6, then move right to add 6 and 3 to get 9. Then we move right again and add 5 and 8, but since that's 13, we backspace and add 1 to 9, which is ten, so we backspace again to add that to 6 to get 7. So we have 70,3 right now, and we move right again, add 4 and 9 to get 13 again, we backspace and add 1 to 3 for 4. Then we move right again, and the last digits are zeros, so no change.

Thus the answer is 70,430.

Granted, this is easier when done in a digital medium where you can backspace. You can even do it with subtraction. I don't think you can do multiplication/division this way though...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »

These attempts to keep this kind of thing from kids are hilarious because most kids learn it from other kids before they're old enough to know how to use a dictionary, or at least to have the motivation to use one to look up things their parents get embarrassed about mentioning around them.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:00 pm »

This is another one of those things that isn't more sexual/choose controversial quality than you make it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 10:32:12 pm »

this sexual repression is a uniquely american trait it seems. Europe seems much more open about things.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 10:33:45 pm »

The world is not just made up of europe and the united states.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 10:34:09 pm »

I agree with Itnetlolor. You would think that with it being the Information Age, kids would be absorbing more knowledge from more sources. Instead, everything is viewed as a handy dandy reference book designed entirely so you don't actually have to learn the things you are referencing.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 11:29:23 pm »

this sexual repression is a uniquely american trait it seems. Europe seems much more open about things.

The US is extremely sexually liberal compared to basically everywhere except Europe and Israel and maybe some of South America and Australia

but that still leaves the vast majority of the world
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 12:02:36 am »

I think I can come to a solution that appeals to both parties.

The book should not be banned, but the word 'Oral Sex' should have its definition changed to 'how dare you even ask, you pervert'.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 12:04:53 am »

The book should list all sexual things, and for the definition put "Ask your parents."

This would be hilarious.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 12:06:15 am »

'Oral Sex' should have its definition changed to 'how dare you even ask, you pervert'.

Shouldn't a dictionary, as a compilation of words/terms in a language, be impartial and free of value judgments?  It's a reference book, not a moral code.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 12:07:56 am »

The book should list all sexual things, and for the definition put "Ask your parents."

This would be hilarious.

Actually, you know what? This.

Just for the laughs involved.

'Oral Sex' should have its definition changed to 'how dare you even ask, you pervert'.

Shouldn't a dictionary, as a compilation of words/terms in a language, be impartial and free of value judgments?  It's a reference book, not a moral code.

Oh that is it. Your name shall be in the dictionary and the definition will be 'why do you hate freedom, you heartless liberal?'

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 12:10:13 am »

heartless liberal

Damned heartless bleeding-heart liberals!  :P

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 12:10:37 am »