Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Dictionary pulled from school shelves as "sexually graphic"  (Read 17980 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dictionary pulled from school shelves as "sexually graphic"
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2010, 03:57:53 pm »

I was using collegiate dictionaries for my spelling lists in second grade.  It would have been a distinct problem--what you're suggesting now is the blunting of the upper level of intellect.  I'll admit that I brought the dictionary from home, but it would've been a hell of a lot more convenient to have one in class.
Wait, what?
(To the best of my knowledge) Most children's dictionaries exist as slightly-toned-down versions of normal dictionaries anyway. I had them throughout 5th and 6th grade; they're just normal dictionaries without genitals and obscenities. They also usually have a heftier 'adjectives' section for each entry, at least the ones I used. I may be thinking of the more aptly named 'Junior Writer's Dictionaries' on second thought, but those fit the purpose just as well.

Still, I'd like to know what sort of words you'd be using (in second grade!) that could only be found in collegiate dictionaries.

acetylsalicylic acid, hexylresorcinol, zygodactyl, blasphemy, and so on, and so on.  I doubt that the first three, at the very least, would be found in your standard children's dictionary.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2010, 04:08:30 pm »

nah, this is more along the line of what happens when you repress a human action that will find it's way to the surface. These children may idolize oral sex if no one will allow them to understand it.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2010, 04:41:36 pm »

acetylsalicylic acid, hexylresorcinol, zygodactyl, blasphemy, and so on, and so on.  I doubt that the first three, at the very least, would be found in your standard children's dictionary.
In... second grade? That's impressive. Very impressive, even. I'm sure if you asked most second-grade teachers how to spell the first three they would struggle (no offense to second-grade teachers; at my school there are several teachers who struggle with you're/your and regularly misspell words), much less actually define them. I didn't know what hexylresorcinol was until I looked it up.

That's probably another fault with school systems (in general): it caters to the mean. Those who are at either end of the scale suffer because of it. Toward the lower end, they'll shuttle students off to special programs/classes, but few schools will provide additional material for those on the higher end.

There are probably solutions that I'm not privy to, but I don't see any easy way for the government to correct this.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2010, 05:53:11 pm »

Assert similar experience.
As long as this doesn't start some trend of banning words deemed questionable (it had better not -- I have faith in you, Americans), I fail to see a reason to be annoyed. It seems like it's just something that'll get the serious anti-censorship people riled up.

Just a note: I'm not encouraging this behaviour, I just fail to see a problem with it. On a purely fundamental level, it's wrong, but realistically, it's not going to cause any trouble.
You're ok with individual wrongs so long as they don't start trends?  ???
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2010, 05:59:16 pm »

In... second grade? That's impressive. Very impressive, even. I'm sure if you asked most second-grade teachers how to spell the first three they would struggle (no offense to second-grade teachers; at my school there are several teachers who struggle with you're/your and regularly misspell words), much less actually define them. I didn't know what hexylresorcinol was until I looked it up.

That's probably another fault with school systems (in general): it caters to the mean. Those who are at either end of the scale suffer because of it. Toward the lower end, they'll shuttle students off to special programs/classes, but few schools will provide additional material for those on the higher end.

Forgive me.  I'm extremely bitter.  Coping better than I was until recently, but bitter.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2010, 06:29:00 pm »

((Will she also stop talking about herself in third person? Also, have you considered using something like Gödel numbering to somehow use that intuitive sense to generate proofs indirectly, or does that involve TO much arithmetic?
Hmm, depending on a few factors (including but not limited to that story actually being about you) I find myself interested in perhaps discussing math over PMs or something.))
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2010, 06:31:13 pm »

Did you put that whole post in parentheses?
Shoes...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2010, 08:31:49 pm »

From what I've heard of in the American '50s, weren't womans' legs a socially created sexual item, at least much more than now? America seems to only see breasts when either taking a shower or having sex, turning them into a sexual object.
Women's legs are still a "sexual item" because they're sexy to look at

Just not as sexy as boobs and ass, and we've gotten more permissive so media can go further in their titillation now

What I'm getting at is if breasts really were put on a public blacklist, the public would take another part of the body and sexualize it, like how legs were in the '50s. If they too were to be blacklisted, then something non-sexual (such as eyebrows?) would take its place?

It's not like body parts get "sexualized" that men didn't like to look at in the first place
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2010, 08:33:01 pm »

I'm betting Midriffs make a comeback.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37:08 pm »

I'd say that culture does have an impact - 100 years ago or so it was a woman's ankle that was meant to be the unspeakable area, and other cultures can ascribe beauty to different body parts (for an extreme example, think of the foot fetishism in ancient China).

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2010, 09:21:50 pm »

Lets all hope midriffs make a comeback
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2010, 09:23:52 pm »

It's not like they're not already a spot many people find attractive.

Although I bet if your midriff is flat you're a pedophile for showing people it.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2010, 09:34:21 pm »

Why the hell are you calling it a midriff?

Its a stomach!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2010, 09:34:46 pm »

Midriff sounds... sexier...

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2010, 09:52:19 pm »

Bellys are only sexy if they're rocking a nice belly button. Or, managed to get some sexy well defined abs.

Or both...  :-[
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17