Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 14453 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:32 pm »

I'm 99% sure that such a play was mentioned somewhere in the first Mass Effect. Probably by an Elcor that you meet.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »

I'm 99% sure that such a play was mentioned somewhere in the first Mass Effect. Probably by an Elcor that you meet.
There was an advertisement for an all elcor performance of hamlet that played in the elevators in the first one, citing the directors motivation as wanting to "give the audience a chance to judge Hamlet by his deeds, and not his emotions." Which is hilarious.
Mass Effect Wiki page on Elcor
Shepard can overhear a news story on the Citadel about a human director named Francis Kitt. He is planning to direct a production of Hamlet using elcor cast members who will utilize their native body language and pheromones. Kitt claims he wants to give human audiences the chance to judge Hamlet "by his deeds and not his emotions". In Mass Effect 2, the production became an award-winning hit and it can be seen in the commercials on Omega.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 10:09:42 pm »

This game is great. Haven't played too far yet, but what I have played is awesome.

I do miss changing party member weapons and ammo. I miss it so much.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 02:37:55 pm »

There was an advertisement for an all elcor performance of hamlet that played in the elevators in the first one, citing the directors motivation as wanting to "give the audience a chance to judge Hamlet by his deeds, and not his emotions." Which is hilarious.
Mass Effect Wiki page on Elcor
Shepard can overhear a news story on the Citadel about a human director named Francis Kitt. He is planning to direct a production of Hamlet using elcor cast members who will utilize their native body language and pheromones. Kitt claims he wants to give human audiences the chance to judge Hamlet "by his deeds and not his emotions". In Mass Effect 2, the production became an award-winning hit and it can be seen in the commercials on Omega.

Oh right, I thought people were talking about the 2nd one only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoXzlU0FV3w

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 04:23:07 pm »

I am liking this game a lot more than the prior but i'm getting problems with being stuck up on terrain and not being able to move properly..need console access so I can no clip.

Also the planet scanning is bullshit, but I kind of like it more than the Mako driving.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 11:37:41 pm »

Ahh, idd, there was sth about that in part one. Did not notice that earlier.
Need to play again.

--
Guys, after few more hours i am just speechless - game's better and better with every minute, and GODDAMN, this is outstanding and beautiful game(go to Illium to hear fabulous music and see wonderful visuals).
Pure pleasure of being there. I've learnt very interesting things about ingame races so far i did not know earlier. VERY interesting.
It is like reading good book.

(and it is 3rd day without DF, unfortunately).

Btw, i had msg: "you may keep your saves to load it to ME3, if you stay...alive" while loading lvl.
oooh, GOOD.

Also the planet scanning is bullshit, but I kind of like it more than the Mako driving.
DEFINITELY.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:13:07 am by xoen »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 11:45:40 pm »

I am liking this game a lot more than the prior but i'm getting problems with being stuck up on terrain and not being able to move properly..need console access so I can no clip.
The same thing happened to me in ME1. Luckily it was right at the beginning of a new game, so I only lost 20 minutes of progress.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 05:10:39 am »

Mako driving was occasionally fun when you get to run over some mercs or pulled off a cool jump. Old school metal detector planet scanning is mind rendingly boring and much more prominent. I haven't even figured out what exactly the ship upgrades do other then just being money sinks the game keeps yelling that i should spend resources on and id rather buy a new gun like in ME1 then spend a few hours digging up palladium or flying back and forth to buy new probes.

Also, the M920 Cain... BFG's with scarce ammo is good, BFG's that can be fired once every 6 missions are bad.

Also, the game seems much more... violent is not really the word for it, example.
In ME1, you meet a hypothetical kid being bullied. The paragon option is to tell the bully that what he's doing is wrong and the renegade option is telling him to back the f!@# off. In ME2, the paragon option is to shoot the bully while saying "asshole" and the renegade option is to shoot the kid being bullied and say "survival of the fittest".

My sniper rifle can insta kill everything not a krogan or an elite enemy and despite hitting everything on the first shot, i still constantly run out of ammo for it.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 08:05:11 am »

I really enjoyed this game. The intro was killer, that's for sure, however the heroic speeches at the end were a little disappointing. They weren't bad, just not great. And the last boss was pretty neat too but just plain too easy.. Again, disappointing. It'd have been much better if ALL of the bosses were like the last boss and the last boss was made more epic.

I must admit, the game started to get a tiny bit repetitive, however I didn't mind it so much.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The weapon variety could have used a little work, meaning you could specialize in a type of weapon but there weren't any choices when it came to "Use this generic assault rifle or this machine gun-esque one that does more damage?" If you found the 'better' version of your gun there was no point at all in avoiding it. What I wanted to see was "Use this upgraded assault rifle, this other upgraded assault rifle lacking this but gaining this, or this exotic assault rifle which is harder to use but in the end, superior?" Just more depth is all. Could have went even further, too.

I didn't mind the resource gathering so much since I didn't find myself going back to it hundreds of times. I did have to scan a few planets yeah, but all in all it was a nice break from the normal game play.

I really would have liked to see more enemies too. Not trying to nitpick so much, just trying to express my feelings for it all. Fighting mercs is fun but there could have been a lot more variety there.
But I guess that's the point of ME2. Like I said, the game was still very enjoyable but it did have some downfalls.

There's probably more to add but I need to run. Anybody share my thoughts?

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot, I would have really liked some alternative action gameplay; IE mako driving, ship combat.. skateboarding? SOMETHING. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:06:43 am by debvon »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 09:02:09 am »

So the ship updates are mandatory for later in the game?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 09:32:49 am »

I really enjoyed this game. The intro was killer, that's for sure, however the heroic speeches at the end were a little disappointing. They weren't bad, just not great. And the last boss was pretty neat too but just plain too easy.. Again, disappointing. It'd have been much better if ALL of the bosses were like the last boss and the last boss was made more epic.
Somehow I suspect it'd get boring quite fast. Think Dawn of War 2 - every single mission there's a boss at the end. At first it's kinda fun, but it gets nauseating pretty quick. I actually appreciate it when a game doesn't throw 2000HP ubermenschen at me regularly.

The weapon variety could have used a little work, meaning you could specialize in a type of weapon but there weren't any choices when it came to "Use this generic assault rifle or this machine gun-esque one that does more damage?" If you found the 'better' version of your gun there was no point at all in avoiding it. What I wanted to see was "Use this upgraded assault rifle, this other upgraded assault rifle lacking this but gaining this, or this exotic assault rifle which is harder to use but in the end, superior?" Just more depth is all. Could have went even further, too.
There's actually two weapons with which I dropped back to an earlier one - the rifle and sniper rifle. The rifle because I basically got a WAAAGH-gun which was about as accurate as a shotgun and the burst-fire rifle just seemed much more efficient, and the sniper rifle because I got a quick-firing but less powerful one, which sort of missed the point of why I used the sniper rifle in the first place. To me it seems they mostly just proportionally vary in speed/strength/ammo and hardly any one's superior.

Although I do wish there was much more variety. Diablo/Borderlands-level variety ideally.

I really would have liked to see more enemies too. Not trying to nitpick so much, just trying to express my feelings for it all. Fighting mercs is fun but there could have been a lot more variety there.
But I guess that's the point of ME2. Like I said, the game was still very enjoyable but it did have some downfalls.
I actually thought the rarer enemies were less fun to fight much like the geth weren't fun to fight in the first ME (for the brief time that I played it). Mostly because they didn't provide any bigger challenge in any way other than being bigger HP-bags and they simply weren't something that'd care much about being killed.

The other two points I pretty much agree on.

From my own thoughts:
+Good voice-overs and cinematic camera angles during dialogues.
+Mid-dialogue renegade/paragon actions are very well done. Do not feel like quick-time events, you get much time to respond. Shame they die off near the end.
+Combat feels much better than ME1, might be due to the reloading instead of overheating or better ally AI.
+This might be due to nostalgia, but I really like the save import feature... even if I never finished ME1 and can't actually use it. Just pretty neat feature from old games that more sequels should have.
=It doesn't even pretend to be an RPG compared to ME1, it's a straight up Action Adventure game.
-Wish I could stray from the fate-set team and actually recruit who I want to rather than end up with the same team as every other player.
-Blatant cliffhanger ending.
-The world sure feels small.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 11:16:47 am »

I can see most people are concentrating on weapons, battles, etc....
i am person bored by CODx games..

It'd have been much better if ALL of the bosses were like the last boss and the last boss was made more epic.
Yeah, let's play Diablo...pfff.

Guys, i've just met KROGAN telling poems to..ASARI.
He really must be in love, hilarious.

The world sure feels small.
Hmm, actually i have opposite feeling.
It seems like there is much content available after some research(like hidden systems etc etc).
IT looks like - more talking, more searching, more deep game's becoming.
It may be good idea to make 100% on every possible system that is there(you know, "anomaly detected" situations).
One more thing - game is NOT THAT easy on hardest difficulty.

To be honest - that game is like interactive Blade Runner.
Unique thing.

God, i love vocals and sound on that game(some voices sound like in ss2, that is GOOD). Great experience while using headphones.

goddamn, i really need system shock 2 REMAKE.

ahh,btw, borderlands SUCKS. Very disappointing, shallow game, imo.
Someone compared it to f3, i laughed SO hard...

Sorry for my ridiculous english.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:49:56 am by xoen »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 02:34:42 pm »

I can see most people are concentrating on weapons, battles, etc....
We'd probably focus on something else if linear combat sequences were less prominent in Bioware games.

ahh,btw, borderlands SUCKS. Very disappointing, shallow game, imo.
Someone compared it to f3, i laughed SO hard...
I'm asking for Borderlands-level weapon variety, not for Borderlands gameplay. Or do you think a feature automatically sucks because it was present in a game you didn't like?

And I'd go into how Borderlands is better than F3, but that'd be going off-topic.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 02:52:11 pm »

I'm asking for Borderlands-level weapon variety, not for Borderlands gameplay. Or do you think a feature automatically sucks because it was present in a game you didn't like?
Nope, look, i do not need 2398476235873458 of weapon variants to have good, balanced gameplay. I have poor weapons? GOOD, maybe i should THINK while fighting then, no ammo? GOOOD, maybe i should THINK how to survive etc etc, you know how it works.
Name's challenge.

That "feature" of borderlands may be nice in advert campaign, but, damn, it did not save that game from being boring and poor one, imho. It is like adding Diablo element to shooter.
That's all.
Personal, ot, opinion.

ah, btw
linear combat sequences
surely BL has none of them, lol. BL is linear as stretched WIRE.
Let's finish BL topic now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:10:29 pm by xoen »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 03:20:25 pm »

Nope, look, i do not need 2398476235873458 of weapon variants to have good, balanced gameplay. I have poor weapons? GOOD, maybe i should THINK while fighting then, no ammo? GOOOD, maybe i should THINK how to survive etc etc, you know how it works.
Name's challenge.
The problem is there's no poor weapons because they're all just different balances of speed/strength/mag-size, there's basically no lack of ammo due to universal ammunition (no matter what your enemy was using, you still pick up ammo for your weapons). The issues you mentioned were actually more prominent in Borderlands.

linear combat sequences
surely BL has none of them, lol. BL is linear as stretched WIRE.
And that's completely relevant to why I mentioned linear combat sequences how?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9