Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Virtual pet dwarves  (Read 4063 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual pet dwarves
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 11:41:16 am »

Yea could be. I suppose. it red lighted specific files but I don't know exactly how mcafee checks these things.  They claim they download files and then check the bait computer for known viruses Trojans and stuff.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 12:51:40 pm »

Yea could be. I suppose. it red lighted specific files but I don't know exactly how mcafee checks these things.  They claim they download files and then check the bait computer for known viruses Trojans and stuff.
That couldnt be how they do it, that would be terribly unefficient.
Not to mention have rather mixed results.

the data is probably sent back to the company of what programs were downloaded and where when mcafee downloads updates or something similar to that.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 02:30:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure McAfee is crap.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 03:33:03 pm »

Alrighty, just figured I would throw out a heads up.  It hasn't been wrong yet from my experience, but folks appear to have different experience with it then me so I won't debate it.

Still say a little desktop dwarf would be infinitely amusing.  Especially if I could bring him to school with me on a flash drive.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 03:56:13 pm »

Ideas...
  • The dwarf should be able to tantrum, throwing icons all over the place (perhaps spilling the recycle bin/folders?)
  • If its a military dwarf, it should try to wrestle you, occasionally grabbing the cursor and refusing to let go
  • Dig away at the screen (occasionally 'pausing' with a message that you have struck x)
    • Rarely hit aquifer/magma and watch as dwarf runs for life
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:20:36 pm by Elvang »
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 03:58:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure McAfee is crap.

I'll second that. Just the other day I had to clean up after a virus that McAfee missed on my Grandpa's computer.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 04:32:11 pm »

Ideas...
  • The dwarf should be able to tantrum, throwing icons all over the place (perhaps spilling the recycle bin/folders?)
  • If its a military dwarf, it should try to wrestle you, occasionally grabbing the cursor and refusing to let go
  • Dig away at the screen (occasionally 'pausing' with a message that you have struck x)
    • Rarely hit aquifer/magma and watch as dwarf runs for life
All great ideas, except I'm not sure throwing icons all around is actually possible.. but would be quite funny.
Perhaps throwing cats into the side of the screen instead.

could definatly get him to hang onto the cursor, perhaps make you need to shake him off by moving the cursor left and right a couple times.

Cracking the background and having water or magma slowly fill the screen would be great, and achievable too as long as it was style-ized into dumping downwards below the screen, and then a blue or red tinge would slowly float to the surface of the screen, with the dwarf choosing to either put on a rope reed snorkle and dog leather flippers, or scrambling in attempt to get away, but dropping a booze barrel and going back for it, only to be fried in the heat.

Infact, his entrance could be digging INTO the screen and then falling to the bottom of the screen, sustaining minor injuries.  ;D

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 05:00:32 pm »

One way to represent the screen would be to divide it up into a grid (not visible), and treat it as a sort of side view (think 2D version, except not top-down). The dwarf would be able to dig down/up stairs to move vertically across the grid, and side to side. This would allow gravity, and effects such as a melancholy dwarf trying to off himself.

As for throwing icons around, I think its possible. Grab the current wallpaper, and then go through the list of files/folders on the desktop and make note of each icon and its location. Then you can 'rebuild' what the desktop looks like, with the added bonus of the dwarf being able to interact with the fake icons. This would mean completely covering up the real desktop though, and I don't know if you can allow the mouse to click through to it in only certain sections (as in not being able to click through to the real icon if the dwarf destroyed the fake one); I know you can allow the entire thing to be click through, as Samurize does it.

EDIT: Could even have the dwarf accidentally breach HFS :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:02:17 pm by Elvang »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 05:05:43 pm »

If this was made, screw backgrounds, my little dwarf buddy will serve that purpose. :)

(It should be moddable, too. <_< )

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 05:13:19 pm »

If I ever finish my current project I'd be willing to work on this, as next on my programming TODO list is learn a GUI library(likely winapi).

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 07:02:10 pm »

Every now and then Urist will give birth. promptly after Urist will hug the baby, and cuddle it.
Urist will then turn around to do something, and while his back is turned, a goblin will run in and steal it.
Urist will chase the goblin off the screen, but will show no remorse for the child, because he has a waterfall in his dining room and recently ate a REALLY NICE cat tallow biscuit.

edit:
I know a professional animator with a whacky sense of humour and just recently remembered this very dorfy short he did last year for Nickelodeon/Frederator’s “Random Cartoons.” it first aired on December 13th, 2008, so some of you might recognize this as well.

If you guys like his styles I could try pitching the idea to him for it, I'm sure he'd atleast consider it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRP7srm6-1w

(also df dwarves resemble the vikings at the start much more than ivan in my mind, although ivans actions are fairly close to a df dwarf, although Ivan's such a cheery fella he'd make a great pet on his own.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:50:10 am by NRN_R_Sumo1 »

64-bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 01:29:56 am »

yea, what i was going to make wouldn't be able to do any of that, which removes a lot of the fun. i don't know a whole lot about the windows api for doing stuff like that.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 10:15:59 pm »

Oh I'm sure you'd be able to figure it out :)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 11:05:52 pm »

If someone would actually make this, it would be awesome. It would be even better if you could adapt it into a Facebook app as well.

"Do your 'Happy Farm' animals play with magma? Do they? DO THEY?"
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:24 am »

Yesss. I think something like the little japanese-like sheep (god, it's a very old thing - I remember having it on my computer 12 years ago) would be... dwarftastic.

And McAfee is not all crap, it never failed me, unlike Norton, Kaspersky, Panda, etc... But I guess every antivirus fails sometimes.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?
Pages: 1 [2] 3