Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Virtual pet dwarves  (Read 4056 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Virtual pet dwarves
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:36:41 am »

Does anyone else remember using cute little things like this?
http://www.goldfiles.com/portal.php?fileid=323
Its a desktop pet, something that just sits around doing their own thing.

My question is, Does anyone else think they would enjoy it if there was a desktop Urist? Perhaps a cheeky little bugger running around engraving things into your screen  :D

I'm sure these are relatively simple for someone to program, so I just thought I'd ask about and see who else would like to see something like this before I decided to go on spending a few days learning how to make something and then not doing it in the end  ::)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual pet dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:40:42 am »

He would burn up all my damn games with magma then get killed by it, no thanks XD

On a more serious note, would you really want a drunk dwarf wandering around bumping into things on your desktop all day? No offense, but...  :-X
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

64-bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:48:25 am »

i could make something sort of like that, except that it would have to stay it its window. don't know how to program something to run around the desktop. if your interested just ask.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:56:55 am »

Oh dude, I totally would, and then I'd get drunk with the little bugger.
mabye even a way of making a house for him in the corner of your desktop.

I guess it wouldnt appeal to someone unless they had a lot of landscape for their monitor either probably.  :)

edit: I would totally appreciate that :D
Although I'm definatly going to also try to figure out how one would go about making it like this worms one.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:22:22 am »

My desktop is a cave, so I'd really love it when I do some random stuff like browse forums.
The most difficult thing is animation, everything else is quite easy to do.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:17:34 pm »

What format would the animations need to be in for this Deon? just a simple Gif?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:18:54 pm »

In any format the program reads :).
This may be a flash, java or other program.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:38:15 pm »

You'd have to build him in Flash, with his own bones file, considering what's going to happen to the poor bastard.  Here, let me help:

public function pour_magma_on_urist(evt:event) {

evt.target.burning = true;
evt.target.screaming = true;
evt.target.goToAndPlay('FlamingBurningDwarf');
}

The rest of the program is rather trivial.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 06:23:46 pm »

What's all this talk about GIFs and vector animation? Here's your graphics right here:

Code: [Select]

(If you're feeling especially decadent, I guess you could use the dwarf icon from the 800x600 characterset.)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 06:40:14 pm »

What's all this talk about GIFs and vector animation? Here's your graphics right here:

Code: [Select]

(If you're feeling especially decadent, I guess you could use the dwarf icon from the 800x600 characterset.)
You would still need to animate it to do various things.. regardless of original character design.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 07:10:14 pm »

Actually, I'd like to see a program that turns my desktop into a gigantic ASCII playground for a Urist McDwarf that does various things.  In ASCII.

Screw animations.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 07:22:17 pm »

Actually, I'd like to see a program that turns my desktop into a gigantic ASCII playground for a Urist McDwarf that does various things.  In ASCII.

Screw animations.
Yes. Kinda like mini DF.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 10:18:46 pm »

Yes, but you would -still need to animate it in some way-
even if it Was acsii.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 11:03:07 pm »

I usually don't care much for those desktop pet things.  I had a Tamagatchi once.  It died in 3 days.

But  DF related one I could live with.  If you are looking for ideas, I got A small little room with a waterfall pump that you manually crack by clicking on to make yer dwarf happy, clicking one lever will drop food down into his room, clicking another will add booze. and he'll wander his little home.  Entertaining himself by constructing and deconstructing little sand mini structures in his own little sandbox.

Of course he would need to be able to randomly trap himself behind walls while in the sandbox, and would need your assistance to save himself from his own stupidity.  Punishments could include spawning a vermin in his room that will bother him for a few minutes, sealing the waterfall drainage for a few seconds to flood the room just long enough to panic him, letting the hammerer in, and flooding the room with magma for a few seconds.  All but the vermin has increasing chances of death.  If he gets too unhappy he goes melancholy and jumps down the waterfall drainage, creating a nice random miasma cloud for a few days later.  All levers and buttons will be unlabeled.

P.S. And as a side note that link set off all kinds of red lights and warnings from my Mcafee, everything from trojan downloads to adware to that PITA doubleclick.net cookie.. I'd be careful what you download from there.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 01:11:59 am »

P.S. And as a side note that link set off all kinds of red lights and warnings from my Mcafee, everything from trojan downloads to adware to that PITA doubleclick.net cookie.. I'd be careful what you download from there.

Thats strange. I use Kaspersky and didnt get anything bad from the site as far as I know. o.O
The sites probably not heavily moderated for virus's or anything, which is probably the reason Mcafee was red lighting it.
Pages: [1] 2 3