Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unfortunate accident during unfortunate accident  (Read 2338 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unfortunate accident during unfortunate accident
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:53:20 pm »

So more or less, a pitted a goblin swordsman into my baroness's sealed in room to help expedite the whole dying process, which resulted in her losing part of her leg and passing out. Trouble is, it's been about a year, and she is still passed out, with a fleeing goblin walking all over her.

So why hasn't she gotten hungry/thirsty/bleeding out/unhappy? In her mind, she sustained minor injuries lately, but that may be gone now. It's a complete vanilla version of 40d
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: Unfortunate accident during unfortunate accident
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:59:11 pm »

There's a peculiar bug where a unit being repeatedly wrestled cannot - literally, cannot - die as long as the attacking unit continues to beat on it, unless it severs something critical or is successfully strangled to death. I don't know the details of it, but I've heard there was one dwarf that was beset by monkeys for a period of several months. The dwarf lost every part of its body except the head and torso parts and only died when goblins scared the monkeys off.

If you allowed the goblin to "escape" the baroness would likely die within minutes.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:57 pm »

Very possible, I will release him once I have access to my save. it seems more like my baroness hit him and he broke her arm, then cut her leg off, then proceeded with his pacing, but it's very possible she won't die until he's gone.

On a side note, I 'average citizened' my baron to death, and although he was around for about four months, nobody liked him anyway.
While talking to AJ:

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:27:56 am »

This. This is why I always arrange Ballista Accidents. The cleanup and setup are much easier, it also works 100% of the time and trains the siege operators.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 01:43:42 am »

Great idea, although that would be considered a 'ballista interruption' than a tragedy
While talking to AJ:

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 04:53:38 am »

This is why my unfortunate accidents is arranged via pack of wolves.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 05:54:23 am »

Hmm, a ballista interruption. Haven't thought of that. I tend to dig a stair down to a small room near a magma source, install a lever and make its use noble exclusive. When said noble appears I floor over the stairs and dig a channel to the magma. Nowadays I even manage not to cringe when the baroness is carrying offspring in her arms.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »

This is currently my favorite thread title.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:44:08 pm »

This is currently my favorite thread title.
++
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 07:14:40 pm »

I'm disappointed.  When I read the title, I thought this thread was going to be about how you accidentally flooded your entire fortress while attempting to kill off a noble, and everybody died.  An immortal noble is much less amusing. :(

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 09:18:13 pm »

The noble just needed to be literally 'put to rest', where she starved to death. I never realized how quickly the nobles become replaced.

On a side note, are there any utilities that remove dead units from the unit list? I'm under the belief your system continues to process them, which may explain the sheer lag I get in later fortresses (independent from stockpiles and constructions)
While talking to AJ:

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 10:26:13 pm »

On a related note, did not we have a dwarf in extreme pain dying for years with sea lampreys chewing on him? That image still gives me nightmares...
Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 05:24:46 am »

Oh drat. I'd've been interested to see if a wrestling noble could still mandate.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 12:50:17 pm »

Yo, Dawg.  We herd u liek unfortunate accidents so we put an unfortunate accident in your unfortunate accident... bah nevermind I can't make it work  :-[
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:58:18 pm »

And this is why I like to turn my nobles into -Obsidian statues- when they start to bug me.

Supposedly cages them would be better, though im not sure if that actualy stops them from mandating.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: [1] 2