Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on which graphics mod to use?  (Read 18313 times)

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advice on which graphics mod to use?
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:52 pm »

Hi everyone,

I've decided I'd like to give DF a try but I am very much a visual person (whenever I do one of those tests to see how you learn best or interpret information I always score highest on visuals). I'd like to play with a graphics mod but I'm not sure which one to pick. Heres a wishlist of what features I'm after:

- don't mind if its 3d or 2d
- has to look nice: I like the look of Stonesense, Khazad and Visual Fortress, I also thought this mockup pick of 3Dwarf with 2d sprites was nice:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- would prefer if its real time (like Stonesense)
- would prefer if has its own gui menus so you can play in the visualiser (I think Khazad has this?)
- I'm not planning on using any mods that add new races or similar, the only other mods I plan on using are utility stuff that changes the gameplay mechanics (Molten Rocks, Melt that Stone etc). I would, however, like whatever graphics mod I use to have as much of the content covered as possible (not with question marks running around like early versions of Stonesense).

Does anything exist that covers all (or most) of that?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on which graphics mod to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 07:15:23 pm »

Well, apart from the 3d-ness, RantingRodent's set covers what you're looking for, and it also has graphics for some mod creatures as well if you decide to play with mods. It's further down on this page or on the second page if it gets scrolled back.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »

I like the look of RantingRodent's, thanks for the suggestion.

I tried getting a few to work including Stonesense and RantingRodent's but seems I can't get any graphics mods working :(.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:14:25 pm »

I do offer a pre-setup dwarf fortress installation. Just click the "Bundle" link in my signature.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)