Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Walls on constructed floors  (Read 3383 times)

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Walls on constructed floors
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 03:47:43 am »

I don't know about internal code, but I do know that Construction vs. Building is a meaningful distinction. Constructions tend to work one way, and buildings another. For instance, constructions support things, buildings don't.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 04:46:01 am »

Code wise they are the same.

Oh? They're the same code-wise?

Are you also an expert on toady's code? Please enlighten me, because I thought they were different.

Really, why make statements like this when you have no idea what you're talking about?
Probably because Darius hacked more memory than you can imagine. Maybe they are stored in the same places or something. It doesn't mean that they're the same in the actual code which is probably closed forever, but the game may read both constructions and buildings from the same place thus it could be able to change the behavior.

I say this because Darius is the only person who made the gems to revive zombies and statues to spit flames :). Actually I think the same about people who made Tweak and Companion. I tend to believe those people more than "common" players, but I still would like to hear an explanation "why" too :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 09:52:51 am »

Code wise they are the same.

Oh? They're the same code-wise?

Are you also an expert on toady's code? Please enlighten me, because I thought they were different.

Really, why make statements like this when you have no idea what you're talking about?
Probably because Darius hacked more memory than you can imagine. Maybe they are stored in the same places or something. It doesn't mean that they're the same in the actual code which is probably closed forever, but the game may read both constructions and buildings from the same place thus it could be able to change the behavior.

I say this because Darius is the only person who made the gems to revive zombies and statues to spit flames :). Actually I think the same about people who made Tweak and Companion. I tend to believe those people more than "common" players, but I still would like to hear an explanation "why" too :).

And this, forsaken1111, is why you don't get sarcastic about the comments of posters you don't know.  Maybe darius is right, maybe he isn't, but when he makes a statement like this, there really is something backing it up.  There is nothing backing up your sarcasm.

Now cool with the rudeness before you embarrass yourself further.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 03:37:43 pm »

I'm not embarrassed, he's still given no evidence for his claim. If you enjoy believing things without a shred of evidence, I hear they have a few good religions out there.

I'm just tired of people making offhand comments like this without any explanation. I mean I can do it too if you'd like:

Oh guys, actually farming labors and the ability to fly like superman are the same thing code-wise. It would be a really simple thing to allow dwarves to fly and path through the air.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »

Forsaken, unless you are the 'EU high comissioner for memory hacking Dwarf Fortress and doing other cool stuff' there is really no reason why anyone should bother presenting an epic scientific study to prove anything to you one way or the other. Your lack of knowledge on the subject and knowing who knows what is your personal issue.

As far as what is what in assemblembler code what Darius says is what Toady knows but needs not reveal to general public since it is not their concern. Until you get an office from Barosso and his posse or make a useful and original memory-hacking utility for DF, you are not much of an authority on the matter.

Also, what do you have against flying super dwarves?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 04:10:33 pm »

Code: [Select]

[CREATURE:SUPERDWARF]
[NAME:super dwarf:super dwarves:super dwarven]
[TILE:1][COLOR:3:0:0]
[GENPOWER:3]
[SUPERINTELLIGENT]
[SUPERTRANCES]
[SUPERSTRENGTH]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[PREFSTRING:super beards]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2IRONMANLUNGS:HEARTOFGOLD:GUTS:ORGANSANDPIANOS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:SUPERBRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:ARROWCATCHINGMOUTH:ALCOHOLJETPACKIMPLANT]
[STOUT]
[MAXAGE:150:170]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:super punch:super punches:8:16:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:super bite:super bites:8:8:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[DAMBLOCK:1]
[FAT:0]
[SIZE:16]
[EQUIPS]
[ADAPTS_CAVES_INTO_SUPERCAVES]
[DIURNAL]
[CRAFTSMAN_NAME:supercraftsdwarf:supercraftsdwarves]
[FISHERMAN_NAME:superfisherdwarf:superfisherdwarves]
[HAMMERMAN_NAME:superhammerdwarf:superhammerdwarves]
[SPEARMAN_NAME:superspeardwarf:superspeardwarves]
[CROSSBOWMAN_NAME:supermarksdwarf:supermarksdwarves]
[AXEMAN_NAME:superaxedwarf:superaxedwarves]
[SWORDSMAN_NAME:superswordsdwarf:superswordsdwarves]
[MACEMAN_NAME:supermacedwarf:supermacedwarves]
[PIKEMAN_NAME:superpikedwarf:superpikedwarves]
[BOWMAN_NAME:superbowdwarf:superbowdwarves]
[SPEECH:dwarf.txt]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[LAYERING:50]
[ALCOHOL_SUPER_DEPENDENT]
[SWIMS_LEARNED_SUPERFAST][SWIM_SPEED:500]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS:0:55:100]
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 04:18:42 pm »

I'd say, let's cut this, guys, there's no need to tantrum :). Let's just wait for Darius to see this thread again and solve this in one or another way, or just let it pass.

P.S. NRN_R_Sumo_1
you forgot:
[CANOPENSUPERDOORS];D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 06:18:27 pm »

P.S. NRN_R_Sumo_1
you forgot:
[CANOPENSUPERDOORS];D
What? How can they do that without their giant key?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 07:50:08 pm »

With their superbeards (obviously).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 10:03:11 pm »

Ah! Indestructable beard hair can be used as a lockpick. Cunning

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 01:45:06 am »

Are [SUPERBUILDINGDESTROYER:1] and [BUILDINGSUPERDESTROYER:1] same code-wise?

kobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 04:36:52 am »

no, only [SUPERBUILDINGDESTROYER:1] lets dwarves destroy super buildings (eg, super doors, super fisheries, etc)
[BUILDINGSUPERDESTROYER:1] just lets you really really destroy normal buildings

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 04:43:27 am »

But in a superb fashion.  ;D

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 05:31:14 am »

Ah super dwarf, what can't you fix, just don't construct from the wrong side of the magma pi-... not again.

Anyway, it is interesting, you can even build floor grates on natural or constructed floor, so its quite confusing as to if you have effectively made a floor grate with additional construction support qualities, reason I observe this is, I had a minor accident with my entrance of late while working on a magma trap.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 10:10:05 am »

A bit too late but still: When i said "Code wise they are the same." I meant there is no distinction of them when they are put into arrays. So actually you can have 3x floors + 5x walls on the same tile (because you can have gears+floors), but that would probably break the game in some way (e.g deconstructing one wall would remove support). As for original floor+wall idea have no idea how that would work. Seems easy enough to find the place where game blocks placement because there is already a building built.
Pages: 1 [2] 3