Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a tool to do this?  (Read 1136 times)

tychoruniko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a tool to do this?
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:22:39 pm »

Is there a tool or utility or some other way to spawn things like creatures or items in the game? I want to make the game simulate battles and such so I can use the game mechanics in that way as a stop-gap until these features are actually a part of the game.

I guess chances are slim, but what do you think?
The Dwarves' iconic beard may appear to be made out of facial hair, but its appearance is deceptive. What appears to be long, braided locks is actually a complex organ, which filters alcohol out of the bloodstream much like a human liver. But rather than discard the alcohol as a waste product, it is burned and converted into energy, which explains the lethargy apparent in dwarves that have gone many days without a good drink.

To put it simply: the dwarf is a booze-powered rock-breaker.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a tool to do this?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:24:37 pm »

That feature will be coming into the game in the next version, which should be finished very soon.

As of such, there is no such tool at the moment, though.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:46:27 pm »

Tools and items are difficult to do, but not impossible. You could make a custom reaction to make the raw materials for the item, then make a dwarf at the right skill level to make the quality you want using Dwarf Companion, have the dwarf make the item, give the item(s) to a dwarf and have them pick it up, then use Dwarf Companion to morph that dwarf into whatever other form of creature you might want.

This doesn't really "spawn" them as such, however, since you're just transforming something pre-existing, but you could probably use dogs or some other animal that is easily replacable for the transformation target.

So... I guess sort of a stop-gap on a stop-gap. It might not work, though; I'm not sure if Companion transformations actually alter size, or if creatures will retain their equipment through a morph.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:31:20 pm »

So... I guess sort of a stop-gap on a stop-gap. It might not work, though; I'm not sure if Companion transformations actually alter size, or if creatures will retain their equipment through a morph.

With dwarf companion transforming a creature to another does not take full effect right away, say turning a "dog" to a "dwarf" this new dwarf would have the body of a dog, thus saving the game (which goes to main menu) and re-loading will set the new "dwarf" to have the proper dwarf body, now he will be called tame dwarf but if you use DT or any profession editing program you can set the new dwarf jobs, assigning to militay does not require a profession editor, It think I explained as best I can (if saving and re loading does not work try ending entire game and re-opening it. Because I found out this works because my computer likes to randomly exit DF and I reloaded and Tah Dah! my transformed creatures were what their name implied

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:25:48 pm »

I have seen indications of a creature's size not being changed by Dwarf Companion when changing a creature into another creature.  Even after a game reload.

I can't be sure of course, since we can't actually see a creature's size ingame,  But when transforming an adventurer into a supposedly invincibly huge megabeast and then reloading, it doesn't appear to impart the bonuses to defense and attack from size.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 01:13:43 am »

I have seen indications of a creature's size not being changed by Dwarf Companion when changing a creature into another creature.  Even after a game reload.

I can't be sure of course, since we can't actually see a creature's size ingame,  But when transforming an adventurer into a supposedly invincibly huge megabeast and then reloading, it doesn't appear to impart the bonuses to defense and attack from size.

You can see the sizes when setting up pressure plates, or atleast a few examples.  ;)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 01:30:52 am »

You can see the sizes when setting up pressure plates, or atleast a few examples.  ;)
You could also use a series of pressure plates set to trigger on different sizes to determine the size of a creature. What I mean is you'd make a long hallway with alternating pressure plates and floor hatches. The pressure plates would be arranged such that the one at one end would accept only size 2 creatures, while moving towards the other end the size of creature triggering the plates would get increasingly large until the last plate was triggered only by size 20 creatures. Each plate would be linked to the hatch directly before it and directly after it, so that when a creature triggered one it would get stuck on the triggering plate, thus showing specifically its size.

Sort of like a coin-counting machine, actually, if you understand the principles behind that... Or maybe I'm just insane in thinking that this is like a coin-counting machine ;D

I have heard that creature sizes are determined when they spawn. If so, you could do some extensive workarounds involving babies and size modding. That is, get a bunch of female domestic creatures of some sort, give them the [CHILD:100] tag and the desired size, let them breed until you have a satisfactory number of particularly-sized babies (since they are born/spawned when the [SIZE] tag is at the desired number, the young will be the right size even if the mother isn't), then recollect the mothers, remove the [CHILD] tag to allow the young to grow up quickly, morph the young, then repeat with a differently-sized creature.

...Of course, now we're getting into truly ludicrous tactics that are probably vastly more trouble than they're worth, what with the arena feature that is supposedly going to be out with the new version which is due by next year  :P
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!