Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seeing through Windows  (Read 3798 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing through Windows
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 04:01:56 pm »

I use them to block off the route to my bait puppy's, so that the invaders will have to walk into the line of fire to get to it, but that they can't fire at them.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 04:03:31 pm »

LOS checks are too expensive for every creature to be using it constantly in dwarf mode.  Even the new version with the underground that needs to be explored Toady isn't actually using LOS, it's using a simpler pseudo LOS that just floods out a certain distance from a dwarf whenever they get close to an unexplored area.

As far as I know LOS is only ever actually used in adventure mode.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 04:16:33 pm »

I never use windows defensively (for obvious reasons), but now I'm wondering if my artifact museum is actually effective - I have all of my artifacts housed behind clear glass windows near a meeting point. Can dwarves LOS through them to see the artifacts and get happy thoughts, or do they just admire my finely crafted windows(or both?)?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:08:28 pm by Fish »
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 04:28:10 pm »

As far as using them defensively is concerned, just don't put them within reach of the building destroyers. My main barracks usually consists of a 'tower' going a few z-levels up. Something like this is normal for me.

[__] . . . . . (Archery targets, fortifications)
[__] . . . . . (main sparring floor, has windows)
[__]__________ (ground floor)
[__] . . . . .  (weapon/armor/ammo storage)

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 05:32:05 pm »

Usually getting enemies to head for and break into my barracks first is an excellent idea, since then my entire army is there to beat the tar outta them in close quarters.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:22 pm »

You could also dig a channel right next to the window into the barracks. Dwarves will still see and attack enemies, but even flying buildingdestroyers won't be able to smash the window.

Personally, I have clear glass windows all around my above ground dining hall. Since it's three floors aboveground, anything dedicated enough to fly up and smash it's way in could save time by just flying into the roofless trade depot or smashing the drawbridge/gate (or wandering into the EEEP, but that's another story).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:01:52 am »

Okay, first tests were set up, and the results irresponsibly unobserved.

I'd let it run during a human siege while watching the Adventure Mode Let's Play, and sadly missed the combat.

Based on where all the human gear feel when I finally started paying attention does lead me to initially believe that sparring soldiers ran out of the barracks to engage foes that they saw through the windows which make up the wall from the barracks to the outside.  But since I didn't see it happen, I'm going to try once again to observe it definitely before making any conclusions.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »

Shouldn't putting a channel between the window and the siege protect from destroyers while allowing LOS?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 04:41:14 pm »

A Zombie Titan arrived, and in spite of taking his sweet time getting to where the action could begin, what with taking damage from the cold weather, the windows as outer gate appeared to work pretty definitively.

Where civilians could see him through the glass, they retreated from him canceling outside jobs.  Where soldiers could observe him, they went outside to fight.

As pointed out, a building destroyer could kick over the windows, but again that's a problem that might solve itself as it just exposes the enemy to my full barracks.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 06:45:11 pm »

While we're on line of sight questions --

What about LOS from towers? If you have a tower on top of your fortress will a dwarf standing on it "see" an approaching enemy earlier? Will he see over 1-level-high walls if he's standing on a 5-level tower, spotting a badguy before a dwarf standing on the ground behind that same 1-level-high wall?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 07:09:44 pm »

I'm assuming no, based on how projectiles are equally deterred by height, whether up or down. It wouldn't be a far stretch to assume line of sight works on the same/similar principle.

On the other hand, height does make it less likely that terrain features will get in the way.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 05:17:33 am »

While we're on line of sight questions --

What about LOS from towers? If you have a tower on top of your fortress will a dwarf standing on it "see" an approaching enemy earlier? Will he see over 1-level-high walls if he's standing on a 5-level tower, spotting a badguy before a dwarf standing on the ground behind that same 1-level-high wall?

Should test it and find out.  Far superior to speculation and thought experiments.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E
Pages: 1 [2]