Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Dwarven Vault Project.  (Read 6711 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Vault Project.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 08:00:55 pm »

100killer9 works. Anything will do... Except a baby or a military dwarf.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 08:03:15 pm »

That's the spirit. Added.

Although a military dwarf would get demilitarized and assigned to a safe like anyone else, since there's no need for military in this setup. I disabled invaders, since they'd interrupt the SCIENCE.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:05:36 pm by Ieb »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 08:08:15 pm »

Oh? I just want something moodable. I have full intent to become a safe keeper and then kill the other safe keepers to run experiments of torture endurance for my own glee (like how long a dwarf can withstand miasma, or how long a dwarf can survive in a room full of vermin and access to an auto-refilling tub of water). But my character has only the intention of safety.
Actually, could you run that second experiment on 100killer9?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 08:10:10 pm »

Consider yourself specially added to an appropriate Safe.

Unless you prove more valuable of a specimen in some other Safe which overrides personal requests. It's sad, but SCIENCE does not work on happiness and sunshine.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 08:27:00 pm »

I'll take a poor sap test subject gullible fool dwarf.

Name: Overlord
Profession: Whatever you need.

FOR SCIENCE!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 08:46:21 pm »

I'll take a dwarf and call him Steve.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 09:30:20 pm »

I'll take a gullible oaf err dwarf. Preferably in a miasma exposure test. if not then a "how many 3-5 z level falls before death" test will do me.

Name him Fin(male),or blair(female)

aaaaaaannnd 1 question...If you keep killing people won't immigrants stop coming? even if it is for science
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »

I'm trying to make sure that there's not going to be mass deaths within a too short time-period. That seems to affect migration a lot.

The first Safes I figure will live on for a long time, perhaps even indefinitely if they can accept their living areas that well. Last check told that they're already making friends in A1 and I think Rubble is even happy of his current way of life. Then again, it hasn't been long since the experiment started so it may change.

Anyway.

The more dangerous tests will be put in order somehow reasonably, while it'd be amusing to hold a dozen of dangerous tests all at once, it wouldn't be amusing if the fort becomes a known death trap, and every test subject ends up dead before we get a new batch.

Anyway, updated the list.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:41:56 pm by Ieb »

snappychappers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 10:18:23 pm »

I like A1 test it could really go wrong if a dorf forms animosity towards another, But how could you get angry when all you have to do eat and sleep. PARTY AT THE FIELD PLOT 1!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 10:28:00 pm »

I want to be in as a fellow guinea pig.

Keep my name as it is. I'm going in as myself.

Zed Di Dragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Sandbox Mode - Enabled
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 05:41:11 am »

And what with my personal experience showing that contact with magma ends up with their feet horribly burned, I might not do that particular experiment at all.

I think I read of one Dwarf in Headshoots who ran straight over a puddle of magma to beat up a kobold, and then returned the same way completely unharmed. Supposedly, this was due to him wearing adamantine boots. SCIENCE needs to figure this out for certain!

I voulenteer myself, "Zeddy", in the name of SCIENCE, for whatever purposes I may fit.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 06:11:32 am »

I sign!

Just name me Urist.

I have no problems with, and actually encourage, me dying in the most horrible, violent and perverse way possible.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 03:09:10 pm »

Log of 252.

12th Slate:
A single migrant has journeyed to the fortress.
Moose Helmssensed.

She has been assigned to join the people on A1.

The current situation in all the Safes is as follows:

A1 shows no sign of social deterioration. However, none have been exactly happy of their situation, and are simply quite content.

B1 is currently in similar state, with Rubble having become a friend to both Shebi and Tannen, who have yet to spend that much time with each other.

B3 is without change as well. However, due to the strange fashion that cave spiders move about, it seems the subject has not had much contact with them at the moment. It might be a viable option to transport this experiment to a better location, should one be found.

The Homes have been given our recommendation to ease on the spread of rumors of the state of this place, to ensure we are able to build enough Safes to accommodate future subjects in a more timely fashion than with the first wave.

Construction for two Safes is going along well, one in fact already complete, but requiring winter-time to open, while the other simply needs the surrounding walls built up.

Afterwards, we will look for the magma resources that are located within the site in order to begin the planning and construction of the appropriate Safes.

By the end of the year we should have ample testing grounds to again give permission for the Homes to send new people our way. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:13:55 pm by Ieb »

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 04:10:37 pm »

If there a any free dwarves, can I have it?  "SteeJan"

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2010, 11:25:52 am »

And what with my personal experience showing that contact with magma ends up with their feet horribly burned, I might not do that particular experiment at all.

I think I read of one Dwarf in Headshoots who ran straight over a puddle of magma to beat up a kobold, and then returned the same way completely unharmed. Supposedly, this was due to him wearing adamantine boots. SCIENCE needs to figure this out for certain!

I voulenteer myself, "Zeddy", in the name of SCIENCE, for whatever purposes I may fit.

Added, and to the magma thing. I read that thing too, amusing as hell. Although I recall someone did later on say that it wasn't that the dwarf waded through magma, but that under the magmadrop zone, there was a few spots of ground without magma and the dwarf walked through that instead, regardless how much magma was falling from above.

Anyway, list added, and back on the saddle for building a few more long-term safes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4