Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Dwarven Vault Project.  (Read 6712 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Vault Project.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 05:02:23 pm »

There is NOTHING that SCIENCE cannot solve!
However, since the two unnamed migrants just showed up, you'll have to wait for the next wave.

And the last two migrants are...
Rubble Wanderceiling, Peasant. Assigned to Safe B1.
Argatson Jawpages, Woodcutter. Assigned to Safe A1.

Okay. That's everyone assigned, I'll now get to playing and moving everyone to their designated Safes, and explain the experiment conducted in them.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »

With my name, I really should have partaken in this ;D .
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 06:04:37 pm »

26th of Sandstone, Ekast-Fortress #1.
The first subjects, seven of them, have arrived as scheduled. From their files, it seems the Homes listened well when we specified for certain aspects of the first test subjects.

Initial health check suggested there was nothing wrong with the subjects, and they were then passed forward to their appointed Safe.

Of the five Safes currently ready, three are ready to begin testing as of now.

Safe A1 will be inhabited by:
Arcayna Geartender, Weaver.
Desturan Howlwhip, Fishery Worker.
Argatson Jawpages, Woodcutter.

Safe B1 will be inhabited by:
Tannen Pagedcovers, Blacksmith.
Shebi Wetwork, Gem Cutter.
Rubble Wanderceiling, Peasant.

Safe B3 will be inhabited by:
Goden Gomez, Farmer.

5th Timber:
The experiment on Safe A1 has officially began.

Experiment: How long until being forced to eat the same food, and drinking water straight from the brook, takes their toll on the subjects? Understanding the average dwarves reaction to this scenario will help us better our army resupplying.

The food is the common dwarven delicacy, plump helmet.

10th of Timber:
The experiment on Safe B1 has officially began.

Experiment: Like with A1, the experiment deals with the reactions of dwarves to the consumption of the same food day after day. However, B1 has also been given access to brewing alcohol out of plump helmets. The experiment itself however deals with tantrum spirals, understanding how they are triggered and prevented. By gathering together dwarves with anger issues of varying degrees, this experiment is about observing how much it takes for a tantrum spiral to occur, or simply a berserker to appear. Alternatively, how long for suicidal behavior to appear.

20th of Timber:
The experiment on B3 has officially began.

Experiment: By placing a dwarf in similar stress-causing environment such as B1, access to only one kind of food and alcohol, B3 adds another layer of stress by the form of detestable creatures. Only dwarves who are disgusted by cave spiders are stationed in B3, to observe the degrading of social behavior when surrounded by multiple stress-inducing factors. 

We will now begin with sealing off the Safes until a later, more appropriate date.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:11:43 pm by Ieb »

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 08:32:40 pm »

Safe A3 is populated by twenty males, ten females, and one jaguar.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:44:58 pm by Moose Fisher »
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 10:02:31 am »

This reminds me of the various experiment valts in fallout. When the next wave comes, I'll take a male dwarf called Gomez.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 11:30:15 am »

ditto on the fallout vaults, though that is a little obvious

Interesting so far, wondering how things will go down.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »

I assume it'll take a few season's before we start seeing any change. Or it might be that they never get down to Unhappy or worse, but that's what SCIENCE is about. Even if the result wouldn't be hilarious.

I still need to make the more entertaining Safes, which obviously will take a bit of time. These first ones are long-term experiments.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 01:28:28 pm »

-See if dwarves get a bad thought from being very near to magma.
-See the reaction of idle dwarves if their meeting area is filled up to 1/7 water.

Just throwing some ideas out there :P
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 02:22:22 pm »

We're gonna need a control safe, something to compare all the other safes to.  This will be Safe 00. 
Safe 01 can be a control safe too, in that it is open to the outside.

And now a list of safe ideas:

-A safe that has more dwarves than it can support.  Will they all remain underfed or will some die off until a balance is achieved?
-A safe made up entirely of children.  This will be difficult to create...
-A safe with only a married pair of dwarves.  How long can a single family fortress function?
-A safe that serves as the office and living quarters of one noble.  This is to study the effects of prolonged lack of mandate fulfilling.
-A barracks safe, with wrestlers off duty so they can constantly spar (with a team of dwarves to produce food).  How tough can we make these dwarves?
-A safe where dwarves are frequently sprayed with cave spider web
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 02:27:00 pm »

I think B3 already does that cave spider web thing, although since those damn cave spiders like teleporting, it might be a while before they relocate there.

Some of those ideas sound amusing, while the kids only would require outside-help to ensure they'd survive, or then I'd need to find a way to spawn constant vermin there for consumption.

I'll consider these ideas along what I have planned myself.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 04:00:37 pm »

Can you reliably produce a lot of miasma in one, maybe?  possibly place it under a few others and make sure it's used as a dumping site? 

Producing a lot of smoke without casualties might be more difficult.  maybe dropping cats in magma..  the problem is keeping them from running through the living quarters, setting things on fire.. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:02:49 pm by illiterate »
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

snappychappers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 05:20:54 pm »

This is rather interesting. I would very much like to amongst the next wave of test subjects imigrants, by the name of Snappy Chappers.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 07:25:50 pm »

-See if dwarves get a bad thought from being very near to magma.
-See the reaction of idle dwarves if their meeting area is filled up to 1/7 water.

Just throwing some ideas out there :P

As far as magma is concerned, I haven't ever seen any dwarf complain about heat. In fact, the only extreme temperature they complain about is getting caught in a snowstorm. Severe injuries due to magma don't count. I do have a magma experiment in the planning though, I just need to locate either the pool or pipe to start work on it.

And to water, I do have a Safe for that planned too, although with a bit more water than 1/7. Actually, make that two Safes working with water. It would have been 3, but I haven't seen any vermin fish in the river or any of the pools, save for turtles, so I can't do the third experiment, unless I could find some fish spawning.

The third experiment would have been the study whether or not dwarves will chase after vermin fish upon starvation, along if they can drink from the water surrounding them when the entire Safe is 4/7 to 5/7 in water.

Oh well.

Can you reliably produce a lot of miasma in one, maybe?  possibly place it under a few others and make sure it's used as a dumping site? 

Producing a lot of smoke without casualties might be more difficult.  maybe dropping cats in magma..  the problem is keeping them from running through the living quarters, setting things on fire.. 

I have a test up for both miasma and smoke thought of, the miasma is easier for me to produce, but it of course requires a number of animals, their foals and other offspring to be precise. I'll build a pen for them at some point and release them all there for production.

The smoke, I have a set up thought of already that would minimize the risk of magma mist. I'm not exactly sure whether or not dumping items from height will cause said mist, but I'm not going to test it either because we all know magma mist only kills rather than makes dwarves go "what a beautiful magma fall".

I might do a magma injury test later on, or not, depending if I can think of a proper system for dispersing said liquid in a manner that doesn't instantly kill the subject. I mean, dumping 1/7 of magma on a dorf, while amusing, also would mean they're completely doused with it so death is assured. And what with my personal experience showing that contact with magma ends up with their feet horribly burned, I might not do that particular experiment at all.

Anyway. Sorry for today's lack of updates, there was a bunch of stuff that I had to do through the day, and a bit more this night, so I'll try and have stuff up again by tomorrow.

I might disable migrants for the time being, until I can get a few more Safes up and ready, but that shouldn't take that long. Up to next Winter, I figure, I should have a few other experiment areas up and ready.

The first wave caught me a bit offguard, what with the designated Safes being a bit unfinished. Had to use the test subjects as building force before they were thrown in.

Also, to the Control Safe. Hurm. Wouldn't that be like a normal fortress? I'm currently looking into testing the extreme situations here rather than normality, although if you could put in a few lines why exactly I should do that one as well, I'm of course willing to add such a Safe.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 07:39:18 pm »

Can I take the blacksmith?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 07:53:11 pm »

The Blacksmith is already taken. By Tannen, or known here as Geb.

I'll add you to the list of test subjects though, but you would get the dwarf who shows up according to the list of renaming, so you might be a blacksmith, or a peasant, or my favourite, lye maker.

Just give me a name to add to the list, unless you wish to be known as 100killer9.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4