Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New magma creatures? Also, why won't it find my other reaction file?!?  (Read 1692 times)

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile

I created a new magma creature (a slightly nerfed GCS, looking for an easier way to get a silk provider, and find normal cave spiders HIGHLY ANNOYING), but it won't spawn.

I genned a new world, checked magma in a few spots... ok, imps.  I'll fix THAT: remove the biome flag from imps.  OK, now check a few spots... firemen/magma men... ok, I'll fix THAT, too: remove biome flag from firemen, magmamen.  Check a few spots... NO magma creatures at all?!?

I took the GCS creature, added the relevant tags from the fire imp (including the body temp stuff, so it shouldn't die or have its skin catch fire or anything).  I've tried all kinds of tag combinations... about the only thing I haven't tried to swapping the names of the creatures (IMP_FIRE and SPIDER_MAGMA - you know, the names the game cares about) to see if the it's just hardcoded or something, and I'll probably try that tonight.

Has anyone else been able to make new creatures that will actually be placed in magma like Fire Imps?

Other problem: I had a bunch of new reactions for several things, all added to reaction_standard.txt, and everything was working fine, but I was thinking about adding some more, so I split the file, placing all the generic stone smelt reactions (very small chance of getting any of the metals that can appear in a stone in large clusters or veins) and the "dummy" reaction (make all stones economic) in reaction_stone.txt.  I gen a new world, and.... none of the reactions in that file appear.  hmm...

Yes, it has OBJECT:REACTION at the top - I created it by copying reaction_standard.txt, then deleting out all the stuff I didn't want from reaction_standard in the new file and deleting out all the stuff in the new file from reaction_standard.  I downloaded Dig Deeper to see how they did it, so I tried renaming the file to reaction_standard_extended (like Dig Deeper), but that still doesn't work (yes, I genned another world to see).

?!?  What's going on with THAT?!?

(For now, I can just put it all back in the same file, but it's annoying, and several people have said that there's a cap on how many reactions will work in one file.)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: New magma creatures? Also, why won't it find my other reaction file?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:06:25 am »

About the reaction file. Are you sure the header at the very start of the file is the same as the name of the file? Like here:

For magma crits, I have no idea.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:12:21 am »

It needs to say the following exactly (no spaces, no hidden characters) and your file must be named reaction_stone.txt (I advise typing that in by hand). DF is very particular about files and file names.

Code: [Select]
reaction_stone

[OBJECT:REACTION]

Here is the other thing that is really going to suck, you need to create a new file with a new name as DF won't let you use a name from a previously messed up file (or you need to re-install DF). I know this is a pain, it caused me no end to the number of headaches I had (why don't I have any plants except waterlillies?).

It may also be that your creature is falling fowl of the same problem (if it has it's own file). It might help if you were to include the code for your fire spider so we can have a look at it and see if it is missing something.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:41:42 am »

Here is the other thing that is really going to suck, you need to create a new file with a new name as DF won't let you use a name from a previously messed up file (or you need to re-install DF). I know this is a pain, it caused me no end to the number of headaches I had (why don't I have any plants except waterlillies?).

So, it permanently messes up the file somehow?  This could be the problem, as I forgot to change the name at the top the first time I tried to use it.  Hmm.

And here's the code for the spider as it currently exists:
[CREATURE:SPIDER_MAGMA]
[NAME:magma spider:magma spiders:magma spider]
[TILE:'S'][COLOR:6:0:1]
[MODVALUE:9]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:20]
[EXTRACT:magma spider venom:6:0:1]
[EXTRACT_VALUE:100]
[EXTRACT_PARALYZE][PET_EXOTIC]
[EXTRACT_ANTIDOTE:magma spider antivenom:6:0:1:100]
[FIREIMMUNE][LIKES_FIGHTING][MAGMA_VISION]
[WEBBER][THICKWEB][WEBIMMUNE][PARALYZEIMMUNE]
[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[GENPOWER:4]
[BLOODTYPE:W][CHITIN]
[PETVALUE:2000]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:8]
[CARNIVORE]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA]
[NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOSTUN][NOEMOTION][NOSKULL][NOBONES]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:1]
[NOFEAR]
[NOBREATHE]
[PREFSTRING:flaming web]
[BODY:SPIDER:2EYES:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:MOUTH]
[SIZE:8]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:BURN][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100]
[FAT:1]
[NO_SLEEP]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:5]
[HOMEOTHERM:10095]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[IGNITE_POINT:13500]
[LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:13500]
[BONE_HEATDAM_POINT:14000]
[STANDARD_FLESH]

I've tried with and without quite a few tags so already (population, cluster, predator, roaming, grasstrample, several others I'm not thinking of at the moment), but I'm certainly willing to take suggestions.  If the fire imp has it, it shouldn't be causing this problem, but I suppose anything is possible.  Hmm, I haven't tried removing the web stuff (as that's the whole point)... could that be causing it somehow?  That would be really strange.

Also, it's tacked onto the end of creature_subterranean.txt, so it's not a file issue (as above).

Thanks for the quick replies!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58:14 am »

The [HOMEOTHERM] tag may be killing them in world gen - raise that number to around the other magma creature's homeotherm stat, or delete it if they have none.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:09:25 am »

The [HOMEOTHERM] tag may be killing them in world gen - raise that number to around the other magma creature's homeotherm stat, or delete it if they have none.

That's what Fire Imps have...

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:58:55 am »

OK so I just tried building my own and the only tags that I would have had that you were missing were [AMBUSHPREDATOR][NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][MAXAGE:20:30], none of which would be causing a spawning problem.

So Now I ask if you have cleared out your files in .../data/objects/? (yes the raws are in .../raw/object/ but the game makes a copy in ...data/objects/ which it uses to run the game, so if you make a change to the raws but don't delete the data files the game will not apply the changes you made).

I'm running a test to see if they spawn anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:09:49 am by sunshaker »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:39:24 pm »

Well the Pipe/Pool map in the good biome didn't generate any (pipe had imps, pool had imps and magma man), the volcano map didn't generate them (had imps and magma man).

The [FREQUENCY:20] might be the culprit.

More checking.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 01:03:43 pm »

Yup [FREQUENCY:20] was the culprit. (I also suspect [AMBUSHPREDATOR] prevents it from showing up on maps in the unit list until someone gets ambushed by it).

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 02:13:57 pm »

Yup [FREQUENCY:20] was the culprit. (I also suspect [AMBUSHPREDATOR] prevents it from showing up on maps in the unit list until someone gets ambushed by it).

Fire Imps have [FREQUENCY:20] as well.  I also tried removing the [FREQUENCY:20] with no other lava biome creatures available, and it still didn't show up.

I'm not trying to minimize your effort (you obviously put some time into this, which I GREATLY appreciate!), but I'm pretty sure that isn't it...

I will try it again this evening just to be sure, though.  Thanks!

Any other ideas?

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 03:00:17 pm »

This is what I used to generate the Magma Spiders, if you can't get it to spawn it is something to do with how you are entering the creature in the raws or not genning a new world or not clearing your /data/objects/ files. There is no mystical Token to make things work.

[CREATURE:SPIDER_MAGMA]
[NAME:magma spider:magma spiders:magma spider]
[TILE:'S'][COLOR:6:0:1]
[MODVALUE:10]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[EXTRACT:magma spider venom:6:0:0]
[EXTRACT_VALUE:100]
[EXTRACT_PARALYZE][NATURAL][PET_EXOTIC]
[EXTRACT_ANTIDOTE:giant cave spider antivenin:6:0:1:100]
[WEBBER][THICKWEB][WEBIMMUNE][PARALYZEIMMUNE]
[LARGE_PREDATOR][FIREIMMUNE][LIKES_FIGHTING][MAGMA_VISION]
[GENPOWER:4]
[BLOODTYPE:W][CHITIN]
[PETVALUE:2500]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:10]
[CARNIVORE]
[NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOSTUN][NOEMOTION][NOSKULL][NOBONES]
[NOBREATHE][NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:1]
[NOFEAR]
[PREFSTRING:burning webs]
[BODY:SPIDER:2EYES:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:MOUTH]
[SIZE:10]
[MAXAGE:20:30]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100]
[FAT:1]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:3:5]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10095]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[IGNITE_POINT:13500]
[LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:13500]
[BONE_HEATDAM_POINT:14000]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:41:28 pm by sunshaker »

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 03:49:46 pm »

not clearing your /data/objects/ files.

Hmm. I genned a new world, but I didn't clear the data/objects area - didn't know I would need to.  I'll try that, too.

Thanks for your help!

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 12:11:49 am »

OK, I reinstalled Dwarf fortress (well, I unzipped it again, wow, that's hard) and added all my other modified files to the raws, then recreated the new reaction file (with the name right the first time), and everything works fine now, including the Magma Spider (with the Frequency tag, too).

Thanks for the help, everyone.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 12:33:56 am »

By the way, the problem with your first spider was that you put [STANDARD_FLESH] after the temperature tags instead of before them. [STANDARD_FLESH] implies certain temperature tags which would have overridden your new temp tags. This would have not allowed it to live in the magma and would have explained why it wasn't showing up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 09:37:37 am »

By the way, the problem with your first spider was that you put [STANDARD_FLESH] after the temperature tags instead of before them. [STANDARD_FLESH] implies certain temperature tags which would have overridden your new temp tags. This would have not allowed it to live in the magma and would have explained why it wasn't showing up.

AHA!!  See, THAT is what I was looking for - thank you very, very much!

I was pretty sure there was some logical explanation for it.
Pages: [1] 2