Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Legacy of a Civilization  (Read 2444 times)

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy of a Civilization
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 02:44:08 pm »

A book with a cryptic message (playing with dig deeper, of course)

We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the Bridge and second hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there ... went 5 days ago ... the pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin. We cannot get out. The end comes ... drums, drums in the deep ... they are coming.
    The Fellowship of the Ring: "The Bridge of Khazad-dum," p. 336
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 02:56:44 pm »

"What's with all these random tunnels? They don't go anywhere, and they're erratically dug. Not to mention, absolutely every single piece of it is smoothed AND engraved..."

In my current fort, I decided to use the mouse to create random tunnels to dig. And then my horde of immigrant engravers smoothed and engraved it all.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 02:57:54 pm »

Many many layers of obsidian

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 02:58:26 pm »

Towers. May not seem very dwarfish, but these towers are quite literally rising out of the ocean. No human would have the engineering skill to pull it off, and no elf would ever burn the trees necessary to make all that green glass...
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 03:10:34 pm »

If my fort and dwarves was all destroyed and an archeologist came back to look at it after a half a century they would find a room at the very bottom of a pit filled with dragons that have been breeding like rabbits in a room made of solid adamantine for 50 years.
He would then find that he is on fire and his lower half is no longer attached to his upper half.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »

While traversing the Peaks of Ire, you come across a lone wooden hach in the side of the mountain. The wind can be heard moaning through the mountains, and rough basalt pebbles crunch under your boots. The hatch cover is covered in dried blood, and the brass handle is cold. You brush the snow away from the solid oak barrier. In worn Dwarven runes it reads:

Welcome to DankHaven.

Make peace with your god.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Rankaisen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 03:46:36 pm »

Most of the fortress appears to be flooded with water from the nearby undeground river and you can see something moving down there, better leave it be.

The only unflooded area appears to be a massive hall, filled with goblin bone totems.
In the middle of the hall stands a lone pillar that is completely engraved, apparently describing the heroic exploits of a lone dwarf. Most of the engravings are about goblins being killed by the certain dwarf.

- He was my greatest hero.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 03:53:20 pm »

Nothing remains of the fort except a single quern.

I made sure of it.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 04:15:27 pm »

"I am making a disertation that dwarves were once extremely violent before these years. You see these pictures of a dwarf thrashing goblins about causing their limbs to fly about? THey say his nickname was "limblauncher."

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 05:55:29 pm »

Lots and lots of stone crafts.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 06:24:22 pm »

Well, if it were Avaltosid (looking down there v), then it would have to be the temple, a crude, small temple compared to what I'm constructing now. My fortress right now will also have a multi-level, 30+ wide/long pit as a courtyard, surrounded by two sets of walls and towers, though I don't think I'll use all of the towers... all to go alongside the temple and riches.

I've modded kobolds to be playable and have all the professions/omnivorous, so they too will have a society, but still start out from their usual caves and only have a couple of extra tools. I was thinking a less organized, random placement of rooms, a different style of temple with only one level and altar, put together by randomly clicking with the mouse. No walls, bridges or any kind of mechanics allowed, only channels and doors.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 07:18:35 pm »

Explorers who stumbled across Towerscrape in its distant future would find the ruins of a tower, the top half appearing to have toppled long ago due to being built entirely out of green glass in total disregard for the safety of such an endeavor.  Beneath the tower they would find catacombs housing about two hundred dead Dwarves, some in private tombs, others in a communal burial chamber maze.  No engravings adorn any of the walls, and no records remain of the history of this fortress.  Only their vast stockpiles of now-rotting food and drink, and the myriad of scattered metal bars and countless goblets, give any hint as to what sort of place it was before its untimely demise.

But man are there a lot of steel goblets lying about...
Sanity is for the weak.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 07:28:56 pm »

Archaeologists who stumbled upon the forts of the dwarves would be quite distrubed. Scratches and nicks in the entrance and meeting hall indicated great battles ensued. Dwarven and Orc bones lied around eachother in their final positions of death, some with weapons in their hands, and others with arrows in their skulls. A great dungeon occupied the lowest level of the fort, with bones of withered animals and creatures and other beings lying around. As they were going to leave, they noticed a message scratched into a wall:
"Racklash..... no hope... no hope."
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 04:09:27 am »

thousands and thousands and THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF GIANT DESERT SCORPIANS!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 04:32:18 am »

A giant fort. Made entirely out of wood, with the pathways covered in shrubbery and trees. Vines growing everywhere, and at the top, in a small room locked by a lever...
3 fire imps in a cage, in which the level release's as well as the door...
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 [2] 3