Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It is decided.  Here shall two Dwarves make their stand.  Until migrants come anyway.

Reality was not changed.
- 3 (15%)
Little Fortress on the Haunted Prairie won.  Watch out for hippos.
- 17 (85%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: One For The Road: The Return To Tombcities  (Read 11301 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One For The Road: The Return To Tombcities
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2010, 10:25:52 pm »

I propose a giant Hippo. Preferably GGRARRRARRGHHHRUUUUARRRGHHH, The Man Eater. He's a good one.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2010, 10:27:26 pm »

I suggest a giant roller coaster built up off the ground, the "cars" should be the rooms and the tracks filled with magma that can be vented off at random intervals (pressure plates maybe?)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2010, 10:33:24 pm »

I propose a giant Hippo. Preferably GGRARRRARRGHHHRUUUUARRRGHHH, The Man Eater. He's a good one.
Why not take it a step further, and make it a Carippo? We can skip the carp suggestion if it comes up, and just make a statue of unholy terror.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:47 pm »

Why not take it a step further, and make it a Carippo? We can skip the carp suggestion if it comes up, and just make a statue of unholy terror.
I was thinking that, but GGRARRRARRGHHHRUUUUARRRGHHH would be quite unpleased with me if I didn't pay tribute to him.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:04 am »

I think it should be a deliberately ugly, industrial-looking block. Pave the world!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2010, 05:13:22 pm »

I was thinking that, but GGRARRRARRGHHHRUUUUARRRGHHH would be quite unpleased with me if I didn't pay tribute to him.
You're already dead, so it's ok.

P.S. Aquizzar, I want any immigrant which is not a useless profession (soapmaker etc.). But beware, if you pick female, I will draw her >:E .
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2010, 10:59:16 pm »

Build a huge tower, with pumps that bring magma up from a central pool and out vents at the top of each wall.  Build the walls extra thick, and have magma flow through channels dug into the walls (Not actual channels, just sections where the walls aren't as thick) in the shape of various dwarven runes.  The intended effect is that the runes will glow red with magma on the sides of the towers.  At the top have a complex system of pumps, mechanisms, and floodgates that forms a clock that counts the days.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2010, 11:10:29 pm »

Alright, it's finally time to talk about the fort and what it's been doing.  Which is little, and you'll see why.  Part of it is this-

That's the whole fort, included the two dwarfs, kitten, and muskox that populate it.  Welcome to the Little Fortress on the Haunted Prairie.  Libash and Cog while away the days building a retaining wall around the "fortress" entry (a staircase), carry rhino-lizard remains outside, make orthoclase crafts, grab a few dwarf clothes near the stairs, and generally doing nothing.  Thus pass Spring and Summer, in a haze of staring at each other across the furniture stockpile.

Then comes Autumn, and with it, the Outpost Liaison.

Good thing he's Legendary.  The liaison manages to run like the wind away from the myriad undead beasts he decided to sneak past, despite spending most of a month taunting the same skeletal stingray.  Eventually he manages to reach the staircase.  For the first time I've ever seen, he actually conducts a meeting with Libash while he's painstakingly toting slightly used clothing to the depot.  There's only one bin, so it takes a while, but eventually Cog heads out to trade.

The abundance of dyed giant cave spider silk clothing grants me plenty of credit.  Somehow Cog already knew the prices.  I bought everything edible they owned (mostly plump helmets), including a bunch of milk and flour, all both logs, some cheap metal, barrels and bags and ropes, a couple animals in cages, and a bronze hammer and spear for eventually starting a military.  The stupidly powerful heat claimed some meat before they got it inside, but it was a good haul altogether.  The Dwarven Two set about the equally painstaking process of getting it all back inside, when something troubling happens...

One of wagons crashed into a herd of undead gazelles.  Scattered bones all over the damn place, but one of the wagons broke, dumping all their fancy goods on the ground.  Decorated steel toys, GCS silk bags, the clothing I gave them, a bunch of large gems, and the featherwood of the wagon itself.  In other words, we might not be seeing any more traders for a while.  The probably negative haul of the caravan also has more immediate repercussions-

Normally I consider it a curse to have 25ish Dwarves dumped on me in first-year migrations.  This time I was banking on it to get a working population again.  That right there is the whole dang wave.  A peasant, a cheesemaker, and a pet donkey.  Technically doubling my dwarfpower, but still: Fuck.  Okay, so it's going to be a long Winter and Spring until I have a real population again.  Anyway, I put them to work dragging all the dumped trade goods and gazelle bones (I'm obsessed with hoarding bones, even if it is kind of ridiculous on this map).  Also, I'll be desperately low on wood until I have more Dwarves.  Oh, I've got an axe, but-

Three tiles below the frame are about a billion undead hippos.  Yeah.  I'll get it back eventually, but only after the next migration wave, and then it'll be The Last Ride of the Wrestler Rush, and whichever Dwarf is left standing will get to wield it.  Be back soon.

List of people wanting Dwarves is coming soon.  I'll be leaving the original two as who they are, because I think they've earned it unless there's two people here who want to named into a husband and wife pair.  And there's the two new guys, Mr. Useless and Mr. More Useless.  And how many times do I need to tell you that there's no magma.  None.  It's a very basic fort.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2010, 12:38:19 am »

Can I claim the 2nd of the new migrants as "Mr. More Useless?" :D

Edit: Oh wait, didn't see the upcoming list of dwarving requests. Assumed that since it wasn't in the OP and there were no requests there was no demand.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:09:11 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2010, 12:49:31 am »

No. It's kind've like calling shotgun. If you don't call it first, then you're not sitting in the front seat. So be sure to always call shotgun.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2010, 08:28:00 am »

You should make me a pheasant so i can start making traps.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2010, 01:25:36 pm »

I was the second to join this back in the happy thread, but I don't mind.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2010, 03:36:28 pm »

I call the last dwarf standing after the wrestler rush!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2010, 06:37:16 pm »

Epic ;D.  Nice work on keeping it running.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2010, 06:41:54 pm »

You should make me a pheasant so i can start making traps.

Seeing as pheasants don't have opposable thumbs, you might find trapmaking difficult.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11