Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It is decided.  Here shall two Dwarves make their stand.  Until migrants come anyway.

Reality was not changed.
- 3 (15%)
Little Fortress on the Haunted Prairie won.  Watch out for hippos.
- 17 (85%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: One For The Road: The Return To Tombcities  (Read 11284 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: One For The Road: The Return To Tombcities
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2010, 01:54:44 pm »

Woo, I'm useful.

USEFUL.

Now, watch me have a strange mood next bloody season, and have Workerdrone cut my legs and arms and nose off.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2010, 04:48:30 pm »

Ah, the Redshirt effect. Unless you are a named character (or have a decent rank), you get some sort of immunity.

Can't wait until I'm involved. Too bad I'm not of much help early on.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2010, 05:15:07 am »

Whew, I thought I was done for.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2010, 09:21:00 pm »

This is precisely why I'm bad for Succession Games, I never get around to anything.  You Lower Forumers who I conned up here may know I've been playing Medieval 2 Total War a lot lately.  And I do mean a lot.  Especially since I figured out how to break the game to play any faction, which does kind of take any real goal away, but whatever.  Nonetheless, I got some Dwarf Fortress in too.

Whole lotta nothing happens for a little while.  I've got Dwarves sitting around useless, and piles of bones, so I make crafts and armor for the troops.  All three of them.  Turtle shell helms and wooden shields.

I'm sure they're much more formidable in person.  There's some steel boots scattered among them from the Lost Caravan, just in case any zombie groundhogs turn up.  More nadda passes, and Libash and Cog finally squirt out the first of, I'm betting, fifteen kids.

There's a good look at the top level of the fortress' "industry".  It's a crowded mess under the ground level and I'm not trying to untangle it now.  Suddenly...

They're heeerrre...  I was afraid I wouldn't be getting any Elves out here in Evilly Aspected Nowheresville.  Thank Armok I'm wrong.  Now, I didn't kill them all this time (no trader killing device ready yet), nor did I seize their goods, figuring it'd be better to let them bring more stuff later and seize a lot.  I'm going to need entertainment.  However, when I tried to piss them off on principles' sake...

First I traded an ostentatiously decorated lead cage for most of their stuff, hoping they'd bring it back stuff with exotic creatures.  Then they happily accepted a pile of graven skulls for their other crap.  With smiles.  I don't know if they're retarded, really cool, or trying to threaten me.  I'll kill them regardless of course, but I'm hoping they put up a fight first.  The trade must have been worth a lot, because I got another migration wave!

[photo not available]

Twenty one migrants and a pile of animals.  I put everybody to work as fast as possible, which frequently leaves me with as many as 18 idlers in a fortress of 35.  Jakkarra starts making beds, Smokeologist clears up the gems I've been gathering, Cthulhu shall warp skin into more fitting forms, Jonathan and Hippoman will clean fish once I have fish to clean (and blah blah mechanisms blah), Leafsnail the Soaper and darkflagrance cart mounting piles of crap around full time, mission0 makes one hammer and calls it a day, and sonehi, Cheeetar, and Itnetlolor double the military to six.

Trouble returns when Duke runs into a zombie tigerfish (triple threat!).  Why is Duke anywhere near tigerfish? I ask myself.  Getting water from the Tributary Styx, apparently.  15 quaffs of booze for 35 mouths.  A couple seasons' worth of food, but I have to brew everything.  Jackrabbit, hillburra, and GrafZeppelin try to help smigenboger grow plants, but they're all criminally incompetent.  Suffice to say I need much much more food and drinks or it'll be Lord of the Flies up in here.  Which would make hunting for vermin easy, but it would look bad.  I promised I'd never let a fort be so primitive as to survive on raw plump helmets and plump helmet wine again, but until they have something else to swallow, the Dwarves will have to swallow my pride.

Oh yeah, and Myroc annihilated a kobold.  You can see some of the apartments up there.  I've finished two levels - 169 diorite blocks, 16 microcline doors, 16 acacia beds each.  With marriages and children that's housing for the whole population, but aside from a bustling crafts shop the rest of the fort is ethereal at best.  There is no dining room, no meeting hall, no food storage, no forge, no nothing.  For next time, I'll be handing out picks and digging an underground waterway into the fortress seat.  With a fountain.  I'm sure some people are going to drown, so let me know now if you're willing to give your life for the sake of drinking water.  Then maybe I'll mine some metal.

I've completely filled the naming list, and there's a Trapper, Jeweler, Glassmaker, and two kids to name.  Libash and Cog's snotbundle will be left unnamed like them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »

After facing the Zombie Tigerfish menace, I feel water and flooding is not so much a threat. Just leave an empty z-level above the dining hall so when things eventually get soaked we can turn it into a large pool, a monument to dwarven engineering.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2010, 09:36:57 pm »

Too much salt water Duke.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2010, 03:25:42 am »

Behold my badass boot.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2010, 05:23:06 am »

What am I up to?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2010, 08:03:45 am »

Name one of the children Boondoggle.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2010, 08:11:34 am »

and blah blah mechanisms blah. lol.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2010, 08:36:11 am »

Is block production up to par?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2010, 01:49:19 pm »

Hooray! I'm useful!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2010, 03:01:55 am »

Hmm... I trust my dwarf is brewing up a storm behind the scenes?

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2010, 04:31:58 pm »

Name one of the children Boondoggle.
I wasn't kidding.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2010, 06:14:49 am »

Yum. Kobold on a stick spear.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11