Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When elves get it right  (Read 2499 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When elves get it right
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:28:54 pm »

This season's elf traders have successfully appeased my wrath - yea, they have even gained my approval.

This is because they brought me two saltwater crocodiles, a giant jaguar, and a giant eagle!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When elves get it right
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:38:20 pm »

Yes, their psuedo-offerings of fanciful animals has been the main thing keeping them from going extinct.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:25:15 pm »

This is the reason plenty of people don't kill all elves on sight. They bring some awesome animals!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 07:27:04 pm »

I'm sure that wasn't entirely by accident. On the programmer's part, that is, not the elves' part. THe elves are just unconsciously occupying their niche in the great circle of life, paying for it if they ever leave said niche (by bringing me tonnes of freaking cloth to trade).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:31:07 pm »

On my very first site, the elves brought a female giant eagle the second spring. There was a wild male one flying around the skies. Thanks to spore mating, I had something akin to an eaglesplosion after a decade or so - most dwarves in the fort had their own eagle or eagle-ling, military dwarves had five war eagles each thanks to an extra token in the raws, and my engravers carved practically nothing except "This is an image of a giant eagle. This is an image of three giant eagles," etc. The only thing that stopped me from having my FPS butchered was that they only became pets if you let them, and could be butchered for meat at will. Being a new player, I thought it was the norm and was extremely fond of the elven traders.

Oh, how naive I was.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:41 pm »

Just started a new fortress and received my first elven caravan. First time I actually managed to buy something from them without ticking them off (cue "seize marked")...

...and I forget to check what cool animals they bring.

Geez.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:09:05 pm »

I have been playing for a year irl, and the stupid elfs never bring me anything good...Except for the one time they brought me a dead cat.
How do you get them to bring cool shit?

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 11:16:28 pm »

You seize goods from them.

I do this every time even if it's good stuff because the elves idea of a good load is three asses worth of cloth.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 11:28:31 pm »

I have been playing for a year irl, and the stupid elfs never bring me anything good...Except for the one time they brought me a dead cat.

Apparently it has to do with the way they load their pack animals. The animals can hold far less than wagons, and the elves like to load cloth and leather first. So when you give them a good profit, they'll decide to bring you tons of cloth, tons of leather, tons of berries, tons of animals... but then load their heaps of cloth, run out of animals, and call it a day. Even if their caravans get larger, the amount they want to bring you is still way larger than the amount they can. Effectively if you want the really good stuff (animals), you have to get them to hate you just enough to bring almost nothing, but enough to make sure they don't go to war on you or decide trading with you isn't a waste of time entirely. It's a tricky balance.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 11:45:33 pm »

Drown every other caravan.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 12:13:18 am »

I'm always amused that the elves are the only trading race you want to piss off. Personally, I like to either minimize profit, 10-20 dwarfbucks, or simply seize everything. Also, I modded donkeys and mules to have a fuckton of trading capacity. Now they can bring 5 tons of cloth, three animals, and some sun berries.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 01:33:50 am »

Apparently it has to do with the way they load their pack animals. The animals can hold far less than wagons, and the elves like to load cloth and leather first. So when you give them a good profit, they'll decide to bring you tons of cloth, tons of leather, tons of berries, tons of animals... but then load their heaps of cloth, run out of animals, and call it a day. Even if their caravans get larger, the amount they want to bring you is still way larger than the amount they can. Effectively if you want the really good stuff (animals), you have to get them to hate you just enough to bring almost nothing, but enough to make sure they don't go to war on you or decide trading with you isn't a waste of time entirely. It's a tricky balance.

Why not just make them have wagons? They have stuff from wood anyway.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 06:37:35 am »

Also, I modded donkeys and mules to have a fuckton of trading capacity. Now they can bring 5 tons of cloth, three animals, and some sun berries.
I prefer modding in a liaison. That way they maximise their chances of survival, and I get more cool stuff.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 08:04:55 am »

Also, I modded donkeys and mules to have a fuckton of trading capacity. Now they can bring 5 tons of cloth, three animals, and some sun berries.
I prefer modding in a liaison. That way they maximise their chances of survival, and I get more cool stuff.

I've tried that, but it didn't work. What token(s) do I add/remove?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 08:53:13 am »

The only reason I DON'T kill the elves is becuase of the cloth. Since I never rememeber to brew shit I usually only notice when the dwarfs are thirsty thus I don't some two-bit pigtail clogging my planters priority list when he could be plant perfectly good Sunberries.
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!
Pages: [1] 2