Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 2010 on Wiki!  (Read 9470 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress 2010 on Wiki!
« on: January 24, 2010, 04:17:32 pm »

Hey guys.

I've been following the new version a little bit but I know a lot of others have been watching every piece of information.  I know there is a doc out there that lists all of the meaningful changes in the next version.

What I was wondering is if there exists, or if I can request that someone make, and page on the wiki with details for all the changes in this version, preferably with links to current articles (with notes on the new version in them) or links to articles on completely new topics, like burrows.

I think this would be awesome to show to a few friends if it existed and it can be used as a foundation for work to update the wiki after we actually get the new version and we can add a lot of details in.

Basically, is it done? if it isn't who wants to do it?

Whoever does it wins one free barrel of cat meat, raw. :)

Edit - Here's the article: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dwarf_Fortress_2010

Information on Nobles: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Notes_on_new_positions
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:27:37 am by Mason11987 »

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version details on wiki?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:32:13 pm »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:32:18 pm »

What advantages would this have over the google doc?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:37:56 pm »

Wiki search would have less to wade through, and everyone here already goes there.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »

What advantages would this have over the google doc?

Well something LIKE this list but a lot more of a summary could exist there and be editable by anyone when more details come up.  The small summary could consist of links to more details in articles.  These articles could eventually come into the details of things like the water wheel page on the wiki, with strategy, and very exacting details, which can't go on something like a document of all the changes.

It could also link to pages that are relevant.  For example:

# The fortress guard is considered a squad under the sheriff, and the royal guard is considered a squad under the Hammerer

Could link to fortress guard, squad, sheriff, royal guard, hammerer.

Basically there is the opportunity to be very succinct but also have details about particular things very accessible.  I asked this because even though there is a lot of details about burrows here and there on the forum, it doesn't exist on the wiki.

I'm going to be bold and start doing some work on it myself. :)

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dwarf_Fortress_2010
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:53:55 pm by Mason11987 »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 04:58:51 pm »

Oooh, good name.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 05:03:47 pm »

As the author of that document, I give you (or anyone) full permission to use as much content from it as you want.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:05:05 pm »

As the author of that document, I give you (or anyone) full permission to use as much content from it as you want.

Lol, didn't even think to look for who made it.  But I appreciate your permission after I started :P.

Also, your name goes on top :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:09:53 pm »

Actually I think this doc would work very well as an open Wave, so I'm going to create a google wave for it. Anyone who wants an invitation let me know.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 05:18:12 pm »

Actually I think this doc would work very well as an open Wave, so I'm going to create a google wave for it. Anyone who wants an invitation let me know.

Personally I found Wave to be a disappointing failure, and also I thought that it being on the wiki would be useful because it can link to content already created as well as new content, but of course, all power to you :).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:30:05 pm by Mason11987 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 05:23:54 pm »

Personally I find wave a dismal failure, and also I thought this would be useful because it can link to content already created as well as new content, but of course, all power to you :).

Well each to their own, I did a rough copy over of all the stuff in the doc file and embedded the pictures. If noone is interested I'll just leave it at that.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 09:05:17 pm »

I personally think it would be better to figure things out by trial and error, both because it will be a heckuva lot more Fun, but also because pre-release notes probably aren't the most accurate source of information. Be sure if you do this to clearly keep them seperate from information which has been tested and confirmed ingame.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »

FYI, it's standard to only wikify the first instance of a topic word - you made "material" into a link like seven times.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 10:05:13 pm »

I personally think it would be better to figure things out by trial and error, both because it will be a heckuva lot more Fun, but also because pre-release notes probably aren't the most accurate source of information. Be sure if you do this to clearly keep them seperate from information which has been tested and confirmed ingame.

Right. There's also a lot Toady is keeping quiet on, and there's even more areas where Toady would say something like, "The plan is to ______", but unless he confirmed he actually did that thing, I didn't count it. Still, "patch notes" are one of the best ways to get hyped for the release of something!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 10:16:55 pm »

Oh I don't plan to hit the wiki unless I get really stumped, I know the first dozen forts (optimistic estimate) will fail as I figure out how to play again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4