Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege AI  (Read 513 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Siege AI
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »

Okay, well it's not AI so much, as that would be very difficult to code. Rather, it's more of a set of "Circumstance:Action" for sieging armies, so make the next siege harder. For example, if an enemy siege throws itself on your trapped corridor and dies, the next siege will bring wooden planks to lay over the traps and stop them from triggering. If you hole up inside your fortress and shoot arrows from fortifications, the sieging army will bring siege towers (which act something like a people-wagon, protecting them) to both climb the walls and block the arrows. If your entire defense consists of ballistae or catapults, they will send sappers to dig under the line of fire(this will require tunneling enemies first).  If you send squads of melee troops out into combat with little or no backup, then the enemy will respond by sending lots of archers, etc.

Basically, the goal is to make sieges less predictable and more variable. There is no one "ultimate" defense, because each method can be countered by the enemy siegers. Rather, you need to compose your defenses so you have several different methods of fighting off the invaders if you want to keep your fort.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Siege AI
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:05:31 pm »

I think you'll like Dwarf Talk 2, which deals with sieges  ;) .

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Siege AI
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:48:34 pm »

And please look for other threads with same theme via search. There are many Threads that deal with such problems - including my own - that talk about better siege AIs.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.