Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finding teh Desired locationisms o:  (Read 957 times)

Gazzitness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Finding teh Desired locationisms o:
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:07:57 am »

Okay... When you're starting a new game, the "find desired location" option... all the little different settings you got, with "low to high", and "yes & no" etc... wouldn't it be easier if... you... also set priorities for each one? just like when you're trading o: ...same little slider things? ...also if there was one for vegetation... because... yeah... it doesnt check for vegetation D: ...this annoys me... when I find a great spot... that has not trees ¬_¬
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:12:34 am by Gazzitness »

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding teh Desired locationisms o:
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:14:44 am »

A small tip: Don't post like an idot, it will just get you flamed.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:14:55 am »

I'm having a hard time deciphering this. Could you try and clean it up?

Gazzitness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:02:45 am »

Hmm... okay you're right... my fault... I get in crazy moods sometimes >.>
Is there a way to edit your posts? o.o ...oh wait there is. Okay...

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:03:20 am »

Don't post while high.

I'm having a hard time deciphering this. Could you try and clean it up?
Here you go:

You know how when you're using the site finder, you can tell it to find sites with high elevation, low drainage, no HFS, etc.? It'd be nice to have priorities for each one, too. For example, I may tell it to find a site without an aquifer, and optionally at high elevation. The site finder would then prioritize the ones I tell it are important.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 11:11:53 am »

Hmm... okay you're right... my fault... I get in crazy moods sometimes >.>
Is there a way to edit your posts? o.o ...oh wait there is. Okay...

Then take your meds....

Anyways, the site finder pretty much sucks right now and it may be rendered non-functional or almost non-functional in the next release because of all the changes. Bieng able to prioritize things also means having it show multiple possible sites, which it doesn't.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:41:37 am »

I think you misunderstood the OP (and while I can't judge him or her, I don't blame you for not being able to make sense of it :P ). What he or she means is that the Site Finder could prioritize while finding sites.

For example, let's take the OP's example. right now you can tell it to search for a 5x5 site with no aquifer and low elevation. It does its best and in the end produces a site with low elevation and an aquifer. This is because you can't tell it what to prioritize, in which case you could tell it that the absence of an aquifer is a must, while low elevation is only a "would be nice if" deal.

Hope that made it clearer.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 12:06:45 pm »

(s)he also said that it would be nice if you could ask for vegetation levels in the site finder.
The great game of Warlocks!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 12:31:52 pm »

While we're at it, once the site finder finds a site that meets all your qualifications it should stop.

It's really annoying when it finds one at like 10/256 and then goes ahead and searches the rest anyway - it always gives you the first one it finds (afaik) and all the criteria have been met so WHY?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 12:33:14 pm »

Not to mention all the times I've accidentally started the thing over after it was done ;D .

A "premature abort" option would be very nice to have.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Improve Site Finder
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 03:09:02 pm »

More selections for the site finder would be nice. Especially if you could get more specific. For example a slider for height. The first setting would give you a desert (minimal height) and the furthest selection would give you... whatever Toady feels comfortable with? Also, maybe a selection for river type. Major river, river, minor river, brook, etc.

So yeah... I like the idea of an improved site finder.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 05:05:25 pm »

I wonder if this would come under interface arcs or such. Though I might suggest that for its own sake a point system were to be induced, allowing you to alot a negative or positive value between -10 to +10 to a selected feature (e.g. low temperature or no chasm), allows you to express strong distaste against certain features, allows some to be of more value than others while still two entities are high priority, could allow double negatives which would be a nuisance, though at least differeent maps are easily ranked against each other.

Then the homey touches, actually editing a world map to create points of interest that satisifed your criteria (allowed to delete obviously), but in the event of fun you can just go somewhere where the finder marked and kick off straight away. The abort search thing. Though a 'snapshot' sort of thing where you preview a site the target has found that satisfies criteria so if you like it you can abort then and there (or simply make the finder function enlarger the window to fit itself in and you carry on examining the map proposed happily), but at the end it'd display the highest ranking map for you to view whilst having marked others by rank.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 12:58:19 am »

I was thinking about this very subject last night.  i would like to be able to prioritise what the finder is looking for, for it to cease searching when a site is found OR give a list of sites that are then stored so you don't have to search again for the same thing.

Vegetation sliders are a must, but then so are liquid sliders, i want to be able to find sites on coasts and lake fronts.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 04:42:19 am »

Ideally I'd love to see some kind of boolean expression builder to make advanced searches, or a way to define a rank value calculation for each possible site, but that's probably way more advanced than most players will be able to handle, or will want to bother with, so a kind of simple interface would also be needed. All in all, a very large amount of work for something you shouldn't need to do very often.

I think a better (perhaps just intermediate) solution might be if a third party program that can read some files written by DF and then search for sites.
But I don't know how much Toady will like handing an arguably essential part of the game off like that.

On the other hand, the "finding the perfect site" game would be better eliminated, wouldn't it? Every possible site should be interesting to play.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 05:11:25 am »

i literally spend days genning worlds to play in.
Pages: [1] 2