Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cannibalism  (Read 1853 times)

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cannibalism
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:57:10 am »

What if the dwarves are starving, or run out of source for bone crafting? I think grave robbing would be a viable option to get what is needed. I'm unsure if this is possible as of now, they leave bones but I have never seen anyone do anything with it.

EDIT: Up for vote
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:44:24 pm by Dragula »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibalism
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:33:02 am »

Cannibalism is purely a matter of ethics. Whether "acceptable" or "unthinkable" or anything in between, it's nothing that can't already be taken care of by editing the raws.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:44:17 am »

Eating their pets and friends should be something your dwarves would consider when starving. It would of course cause massive unhappy thoughts if it was a relative or good friend who ended up as a juicy -Dwarf Roast-.

Urist McKiddie has been miserable lately. She was driven to eat her mother lately. She lost a parent to tragedy lately.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »

Agreed. Also there have been whole cultures founded on cannibalism and making jewellery out of human bones. I fail to see why some dwarven cultures would be excepted.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 01:58:36 pm »

there are other times than hunger when cannibalism can happen
i.e.in Religion as offering.
in some Warrior cultures eating parts of enermys in viewed as a way of takeing there power or stoping there sprit from harming you.
eating parts of you old leaders can be viewed as a way for them to have there wisdom live on in you.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:00:49 pm »

Ehh, I think its sorta already in, I'm pretty sure your dwarves can eat dead dwarven bodies if they're starving, locked in a room with no other source of food around.

Also, dwarven ethics got the [EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE] or something in it, which prevents them from doing it under normal circunstances.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 02:21:26 pm »

Should be possible to code so it disappears under certain circumstances. FE starving or cannibalistic culture.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:14:10 pm »

so something like:

[EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:DESPERATE]

Where desperate would make basically be treated as PERSONAL_MATTER if they were reduced to hunting for vermin?

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 03:40:00 pm »

Exactly.
And something similar for using dwarven bones for crafts if they have already descended to that level of desperation.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 03:56:13 pm »

And something similar for using dwarven bones for crafts if they have already descended to that level of desperation.

I'm pretty sure there is some condition already present that allows a bonecrafter to choose dwarven bones of their own comrades in crafts.  I had a bonecrafter in a vanilla fortress who would routinely grab dwarf bones out of used coffins to make bolts out of them.  I'm pretty sure he was always ecstatic, too, so he wasn't going Fell.

This was in my first fortress, so I didn't realize it was such a rare occurrence... I should dig it up and get the gen info on this guy to guess at what causes him to behave this way.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 04:04:35 pm »

Yeah I have yet to see it, whether I use graveyards or send the bodies to the designated refuse storage. So please do. Because it would add some flavour, to say the least.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 05:35:30 pm »

so something like:

Where desperate would make basically be treated as PERSONAL_MATTER if they were reduced to hunting for vermin?

Well, a tag like that would mean that dwarven culture as a whole approves of cannibalism, as long as you're desperate (at least, that's what it will mean once ethics and cultures and things are more fleshed out).  That may or may not be the desired behavior.  If you want a dwarf who cannibalized someone out of desperation to still be stigmatized, outcast, etc., then ETHICS shouldn't the way to go, it'd be something more on the individual level than cultural.

I.e., the difference between "You ate Urist?  Well, I guess you did what you had to do," and "You ate Urist?  You're a monster!"

Ethics and things should really be more fleshed out than they are now.  Like it should be possible for one culture to consider crafting things out of bone and leather to be an incredible show of respect for the dead, while another finds it totally horrifying.

http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=289

I guess the whole ethics vs. individual thing is something for another thread, though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:37:27 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 05:59:19 pm »

Dwaven leather would be awesome. You know, like Ed Gein.

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »

There's a bloat on the list with a status log of "[DWARF] is waiting for someone to die, so they can eat".

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 11:26:13 pm »

so something like:

Well, a tag like that would mean that dwarven culture as a whole approves of cannibalism, as long as you're desperate (at least, that's what it will mean once ethics and cultures and things are more fleshed out).  That may or may not be the desired behavior.  If you want a dwarf who cannibalized someone out of desperation to still be stigmatized, outcast, etc., then ETHICS shouldn't the way to go, it'd be something more on the individual level than cultural.

I.e., the difference between "You ate Urist?  Well, I guess you did what you had to do," and "You ate Urist?  You're a monster!"

Ethics and things should really be more fleshed out than they are now.  Like it should be possible for one culture to consider crafting things out of bone and leather to be an incredible show of respect for the dead, while another finds it totally horrifying.

http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=289

I guess the whole ethics vs. individual thing is something for another thread, though.

You could have two separate tags like DESPERATE_CRIME and DESPERATE_FORGIVABLE for it, so you can determine if a civilization allows it, will accept it in desperation, will still be angry even if in desperation, or simply NEVER do it, just to let modders go into more detail about how their creations will act though.
My point really is make it a choice for each civilization, and give as many options as possible (for all ethics tags really)
A cannibalism tag that lets them cannibalize their own civilization would make sense with the two that allow them to eat their kills and those of others.

Another interestingscary tag would be one that allowed them to butcher and use any creature while it's still alive, maybe a seperate one for cannibalistic butchering, and saying "acceptable" would prevent the victim from caring. This could be used on demons and the like to let them mutilate and eat each other, their victims, maybe themselves? That's going in the Making HFS Scarier thread...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: [1] 2