Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: I am so excited for the next version!  (Read 9066 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: I am so excited for the next version!
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 12:07:34 pm »

Randomized demons and titans, fo sho.  I'm an adventure-mode fan, and I hope the underground stuff will all be easily accessible by adenturers.
Shoes...

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 01:15:21 pm »

I'm not sure what burrows are exactly, but it sounds like a way to define seperate "mini-fortresses" or groups.  Which sounds super awesome.
Actually, AFAIK burrows are like activity zones, but you can tell your dwarves to go to specific burrows in case of danger, you can probably order them to get to the nearest burrow type 1 or something like that. They also prevent the entrance dance which is a fan name for the behavior with the "Dwarves stay inside." option. Namely, the dwarves use to go outside regardless, suddenly remember they are not allowed to be there, go inside again, go outside again, remember they have to stay inside etc. Also, roof the world aka BLOT OUT THE SUN projects screw up their behavior because the roof makes them believe they are always inside.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »

It's both, from my understanding. Dwarves assigned to certain burrows will only use workshops, beds, (materials?) etc within that burrow.

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 02:25:23 pm »

I read that list on first page, kind of overwhelmed by all the stuff, hope someone makes a wiki page/guide for it.
Probably most exited for underground, sounds like vanilla version might get pretty hard.

[EDIT]: ELVES CANT HAVE BEARDS, WTF IS THIS
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:28:08 pm by SugaSuga »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2010, 02:34:58 pm »

ELVES CANT HAVE BEARDS, WTF IS THIS

I suggest manually de-bearding every Elf in the region. Or simply de-Elfing every region.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2010, 02:46:19 pm »

I read that list on first page, kind of overwhelmed by all the stuff, hope someone makes a wiki page/guide for it.
Someone made a page with all of the items a bit better explained. I don't know where it is, but I'm quite sure somebody else will.

I suggest manually de-bearding every Elf in the region. Or simply de-Elfing every region.
I suggest de-bearding the elves, and de-elfing the regions. In that order.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 03:49:58 pm »

EDIT: moved post to creative projects, cause I took so long to make it and my ego is the size of a melon.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:02:35 pm by Heliman »

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2010, 05:15:45 pm »

I sure hope there is no end game timer like in the old 2d version, or atleast have it be able to be toggled in the ini file.  Otherwise i feel this version will be disappointing, even with all the new stuff.

That idea was discarted a long time ago, and will probably never show up again.

There are now "code generated" positions, such as priests who are named after the god they worship (Priest of Ciramore, etc.)
There is a lot of nasty stuff underneath, seemingly related to the old "end of the world" timers
It should be a bit different, a bit the same, and always a threat rather than a one-time problem

Hrm.  I suddenly imagine playing on a site with a new-style HFS zone, and suddenly the screen pops up with this message -

Urist, priest of Ciramore, has been been granted a vision!

The demons have begun construction upon a doomsday plague.  Ciramore warns that within only fourteen years, the demons will be ready to unleash their weapon, consuming all life within scores of miles - perhaps the entire world.  Flee now to make room for a true champion to come, or rise up and destroy this menace before you and all else are destroyed!

It would be on a random (looong) timer, and (usually?) grant ample warning to prepare.  You'd have to get down to the HFS and clear it/kill enough of the demons/deconstruct a specific building down there to end the threat.  Fail, and the game ends for that fortress when the deadline is passed.  Succeed, and you have another long random timer before the next threat is presented.

This sort of timer i would have no problem with, because it won't be out of your control.  But if it is something like in the 2d version where it was basically "BANG, You're dead" with no warning, then that is just lame.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2010, 05:23:13 pm »

* A region's raw files are now stored in their respective save folder
This will make my DF folder so much tidier and easier to work with.

The raw structure of the underground is cool too. I had a fortress idea I've been putting off that will go great with the gigantic natural catacombs in the new version.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2010, 06:06:43 pm »

I like the medical additions especially the ability to designate a medical zone. After my first siege is over with, I'm going to designate a hospital zone near the battlefield and dispatch Doctors Hawkeye and Trapper John to sit out there and drink booze while occasionally working on the wounded.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2010, 10:12:53 pm »

Really tough call, but probably the military upgrade. Perhaps just the fact that future upgrades won't break save compatibility for a long while to come, so I can start a megaproject or two without worrying about it all ending with the next update.

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2010, 10:45:28 pm »

The next release will seriously fix absolutely everything that annoys me in DF... If I had to pick JUST ONE to be happy about, the choice is very simple for me:

MILITARY SCHEDULES!!!

*dances around* I don't like messing with squads too much in 40d, I tend to make everybody their own one dwarf squad and then station them somewhere, mostly archers. I love making big fortified walls full of archers.

In the next version, I'll probably still be doing this, but with one major improvement: I won't be micromanaging their off time! I absolutely hate toggling all those squads duties to manage their fragile little emotions, I want them to just take a break if they're unhappy! In the next release, I'll be able to rotate their shifts and it'll all handle itself for the most-part once set up. Wee!

Close second place: Burrows. omg I hate that "dwarves stay indoors" button, and now I'll actually be able to set up a fallout shelter for emergencies?! It's too good to be true!

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2010, 11:45:49 pm »

I can't wait for a champion in crutches to take down something awesome.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2010, 12:27:02 am »

Someone made a page with all of the items a bit better explained. I don't know where it is, but I'm quite sure somebody else will.

I suggest de-bearding the elves, and de-elfing the regions. In that order.
I suggest de-elfing the elves and de-bearding the regions. In roughly that order.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 12:42:38 am »

The whole damn thing looks exciting. Medic dwarves, better weapon and ammo handling, new forms of training, actual training weapons, being able to undraft elites, underground attacks, custom workshops, arena... this will be the new v.32. Everything will change, mods will be able to be truly reborn (I'm imagining a Dark Dwarves mod full of gothic altars and terrifying alchemical labs for their magics) and done right, combat will be more than elites carving paths through the battlefield. It will be, in a word, epic.

A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7