Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: I am so excited for the next version!  (Read 9068 times)

DanJhonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am so excited for the next version!
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 12:26:37 am »

Something i noticed under the body section

"You can also have hollow body parts, perhaps filled with air or other materials"

Does this mean i can put magma INSIDE elfs?

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 12:31:00 am »

Better military, healthcare, and underground features.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 12:43:14 am »

Grand arena battles.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 12:46:05 am »

Underground. So awesome, especialy annimal men, gremlings, mushroom forests, rivers of magma? ooh so many fun things. Plus modifyable depth and height limits!

And to make it all play properly, a completely new military system, along with many many more details in anatomy and surgery.

Also hugely increased moddability. Colored glass, your own buildings, your military own lasher gaurds, all sorts of material properties for anything you like. Like wood or stone that does some extra damage as a weapon, firesafe mushrooms and edible rocks.

And loads of stuff that doesnt come up now, but which will be awesome when running into it in game  ;)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 12:50:40 am »

Something i noticed under the body section

"You can also have hollow body parts, perhaps filled with air or other materials"

Does this mean i can put magma INSIDE elfs?

They are not worthy.

I can't even begin to describe how awesome the new underground sounds. Really, really, REALLY looking forward to this update.
This is to make me recognizable.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 02:52:55 am »

Grand arena battles.
this

but what im most exited about is all the combat crap...
ESPECIALLY THIS
Stuck-ins also transfer temperature
MAGMA TIPPED ARROWS ANYONE?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010, 03:07:00 am »

magma is almost always guaranteed to be at the very bottom layer
if it wasn't obvious by now, but this means Dwarves finally have beards
On a more startling note - so do elves

So much has changed we can't call it dwarf fortress anymore, it needs a new name.
This is Dwarf Madness!

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 03:19:43 am »

Arena...nuff said, and the hospital stuff.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

ThePup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2010, 04:07:52 am »

The big problem with all this new information is the sheer data processing and variables at work here...the updates will allow for an amazing four-dwarf, two room fortress. Will this update come with efficiency updates too?
<delurk>
I'm interested in knowing about the efficiency side of things too - I'm only getting 25 frames a second on a P4 3GHz with 2GB RAM - I'm excited about an imminent (?) new version, but not really keen on the thought of even more processing and memory usage!  Lots of talk on new features, but is there any news on the 'behind the scenes' side of things? 

That said, it's free, so noone can complain too loudly   ;D

I will certianly donate if I get some spare clams, it would be a worthy investment.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 04:28:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry, I couldn't resist it, so I spoilered it so you don't necessarily have to read it.

Anyways, I am most excited about the Arenas.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 06:03:21 am »

I think the improved healing.

Although I believe the most obvious missing feature from the current version is that cows and camels are not milkable. I would enjoy that feature the most if added.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010, 06:09:10 am »

Diseases, what's even more awesome then decorating your fort entrance with caged hostiles or dead hostiles? Slowly dieing hostiles! Elves, goblins, humand you name it! We have it! But only for a limited time only!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 07:52:56 am »

I sure hope there is no end game timer like in the old 2d version, or atleast have it be able to be toggled in the ini file.  Otherwise i feel this version will be disappointing, even with all the new stuff.

That idea was discarted a long time ago, and will probably never show up again.

There are now "code generated" positions, such as priests who are named after the god they worship (Priest of Ciramore, etc.)
There is a lot of nasty stuff underneath, seemingly related to the old "end of the world" timers
It should be a bit different, a bit the same, and always a threat rather than a one-time problem

Hrm.  I suddenly imagine playing on a site with a new-style HFS zone, and suddenly the screen pops up with this message -

Urist, priest of Ciramore, has been been granted a vision!

The demons have begun construction upon a doomsday plague.  Ciramore warns that within only fourteen years, the demons will be ready to unleash their weapon, consuming all life within scores of miles - perhaps the entire world.  Flee now to make room for a true champion to come, or rise up and destroy this menace before you and all else are destroyed!

It would be on a random (looong) timer, and (usually?) grant ample warning to prepare.  You'd have to get down to the HFS and clear it/kill enough of the demons/deconstruct a specific building down there to end the threat.  Fail, and the game ends for that fortress when the deadline is passed.  Succeed, and you have another long random timer before the next threat is presented.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 08:41:58 am »

The item I'm looking forward to the most is the fortress battle log. No more pausing every few seconds to see how the fight is going! Huzzah!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 11:36:02 am »

I'm looking forward to the hilarious bugs the new version will introduce.  I don't know what they'll be yet, but I'm sure there will be some good ones.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7