Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: z levels and spooked dwarves  (Read 616 times)

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
z levels and spooked dwarves
« on: November 18, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

So I'm building a fortress near a volcano. Should be great, but nothing is getting done because fire imps a few z levels down keep scaring my dwarves and cancelling all their jobs. Dwarves shouldn't panic because of something that far away.

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Fleeb ]

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: z levels and spooked dwarves
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 02:54:00 am »

oh yes they should, because eventually you will get tired of seeing those cancellation messages.  They will become routine and you will start to ignore them.  The fire imps know this, and they are waiting.  Soon, very soon, they will climb out of the magma and into your fortress and then there will be fire and death.
At least that's what happened in my fortress.

Seriously though, I agree and dwarves shouldn't go running off because of fire imps 3 z-levels below them, but I don't think much can be done about this now in a general solution sort of way.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 03:50:00 am »

They shouldn't even see enemies that deep in the magma. Neither should the player, I'd say.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 04:47:00 am »

3 z-levels isn't all that far. About a fireballs throw away or so.
You should dig channels and stay away from the magma anyway, lest you agitate the denizens and end up getting burned.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 06:10:00 am »

The converse, though, is that something 3 Z levels away is really close if there are ramps and stairs and such.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

Right. So, how does anyone get magma furnaces to work? If I put them right on the edge nothing gets done because the dwarves are constantly scared away. Will furnaces run off a magma filled channel?
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition

Fenrir

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fleeb:
<STRONG>Right. So, how does anyone get magma furnaces to work? If I put them right on the edge nothing gets done because the dwarves are constantly scared away. Will furnaces run off a magma filled channel?</STRONG>

Yes.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

Excellent. Thanks!

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

Also, said channel can be disconnected (read: fill it in in one spot somehow [use metal pumps to avoid this]) without an issue. People say it'll cool into obsidian, but it won't.
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 12:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>
Yes.</STRONG>

Because a channel as it used to exist, well, doesn't anymore.  "Channel" magma and "non channel" magma are the same thing.