Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drummers  (Read 640 times)

hotcha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Drummers
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »

Hi All - first post, and, as always, I go straight to suggestions. 

I've seen drummers/musicians mentioned a few times in relation to Siege mobilization, like http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=2841.0, but I thought another interesting mechanic might be to make dwarfs in the radius of the drummer work more efficiently, like the drummers were utilized on roman triremes. So, you obviously couldn't train over the entire fortress to drummers, but having a drummer placed in your workshops or near miners or areas for hauling jobs would make those jobs run faster.  I'm imagining it would be a position to be held, something like drafting, so that you could station the drummer in a specific spot. 

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drummers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 01:24:00 pm »

I don't see how this would make it faster, the only reason the had it on the ships was to keep them all rowing at the same time.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:35:21 pm »

It has nothing to do with it being faster and everything to do with rythm. Its useful in situations where bieng on the same rythm is important such as rowing a ship or hauling something with ropes.

I really don't see how a drummer would help in the situations you are using in your suggestions.

hotcha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 05:36:35 pm »

well, working on a rhythm, especially when digging, hauling or working in a workshop, does make work more efficient.  Not to mention that dwarfs singing seems very dwarfy.   

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 06:54:34 pm »

Actually this effect works. Sadly it works not very long most times. Most people get used to it after one or two days because theyr brains discard it as backround noise (not to mention the media-flood that supports this behavior since we exspect some background noise). Only Jobs where this sounds hava a very important meaning - jobs where you have activly to listen to it - like rowing a trireme profit from it.

Interresting is that you can use Music - classical for example - to attract / or scare away certain groups. European Megastores use classics to scare homeless people away. This works quite well since it has to work only once per person.

An 2nd interresting fact is that todays music is so streamlined and simplified onto the taste of the "Mayority" that it can be almost used "from the shelf" to get the desired effect. Normaly you just remove the singing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:57:05 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 08:12:01 pm »

stores also play classics to scare the teens away.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!