Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creating a "Pyromancer" (or icemancer)  (Read 4256 times)

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating a "Pyromancer" (or icemancer)
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:01:37 pm »

Hello. I am new to modding, so this may be somewhat impossible. I want to create a race of Dark Goblins that has a military composed of mostly pyromancers. The easy way to do this would be to give the race [FIREBREATH]... but I don't want all of them to have this. (Plus the fires created by it are annoying)

The idea that popped into my head was to mod the blowgun to a "wand" and blowdarts to "firebolts".

The wand:
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BLOWGUN]
[NAME:wand:wands]
[DAMAGE:20:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:15]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[RANGED:THROW:BLOWDART]
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:3]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]

The ammo:
[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BLOWDARTS]
[NAME:brimstone:brimstones]
[CLASS:BLOWDART]
[DAMAGE:100:HEAT]

then I added this to the entity file

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BLOWGUN]
   [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BLOWDARTS]

So the race will have blowguns called "wands" that fire the darts called "brimstone" using the throwing skill. mele combat is reliant on the sword skill, so the dark goblin swordsmen should be equipped with a blowgun right?

To test to see if this worked, I removed all other weapons from the race. But they only attacked with wrestlers, and none of them had a blowgun or ammo. Embarking on a dark fortress had the same results. guards and wrestlers all around, but none had a weapon.

As I said, I am new to modding. The problems that I'm encountering may be just a stupid oversight on my part.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Creating a "Pyromancer" (or icemancer)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:29:48 pm »

I have foreseen your error lol well found and will explain, Ok your Ranged skill "THROW" its vaild but A.I. does not use it, only in adventure mode by the player himself or tantuming dwarves/currectly played race. Set the Ranged skill to Bow and change all bowman names to "fire wizard" or what you desire [BOWMAN_NAME:fire mage:fire mages] and crossbowmen to "ice caster" [CROSSBOWMAN_NAME:ice master:ice masters] and make the other ice wand use the "CROSSBOW" skill thats the only reason why your Dark Goblins are not using your wands, because they don't think to throw them (unless they are having a really bad day) lol

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:45:25 pm »

Ah, that would do it. Thanks! :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:51:47 am »

The only problem is that you can't change the name of legendary bowmen/crossbowmen.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 07:41:32 am »

Now, is [HEAT] (and [COLD]) an actual damage type? Because this would help my mod immensely.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 08:07:14 am »

Now, is [HEAT] (and [COLD]) an actual damage type? Because this would help my mod immensely.

correct tho it does not inflict burning or freezing, just strictly damage and name record type

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 12:37:20 pm »

The only problem is that you can't change the name of legendary bowmen/crossbowmen.

Wrong they would be called "Elite Pyromancer" and same with "Icemancer" because master level of bowmen and marksmen (crossbowmen) have "man" in the name which allows it to change, but sword,axe,mace,hammer, and hand2hand fighters only get changed at the lowest level (master levels have "lord" or "master" in it no "man" whatsoever)

my race of Urk Dashas have Elite Axe Thrower and Elite Knife Throwers while their hammmermen (skull crushers) are just called hammer lords when at master level

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 01:41:56 pm »

An Icemancer is called a Cryomancer

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 01:47:55 pm »

An Icemancer is called a Cryomancer

makes sense im just not into the elements but its good to know thank you

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 08:54:50 pm »

It's cryoURGE.

"Mancer" is based off the Latin for "future" or "forseeing", effectively divination.

However, since it sounds like "magic", people associate the suffix "-mancer" with magic, rather than divination.

So, Pyrourges and Cryourges.

...What?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 10:00:50 pm »

It's cryoURGE.

"Mancer" is based off the Latin for "future" or "forseeing", effectively divination.

However, since it sounds like "magic", people associate the suffix "-mancer" with magic, rather than divination.

So, Pyrourges and Cryourges.

...What?
but then in the bastardization of the logic in the beginning of what you said, a Pyrourges are those that have crave for fire XD (and ice for Cyro)

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:55:08 pm »

So you mean to tell me that the UNIVERSAL term for 'Death Mage' is NOT Necromancer?

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »

So you mean to tell me that the UNIVERSAL term for 'Death Mage' is NOT Necromancer?
No, it would be Necrourge.
... Necro... Urge...
.... *shudders*
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 12:06:34 am »

No, it would be Necrourge.
... Necro... Urge...
.... *shudders*

YOU GOOD SIR ARE A LIAR! (over exagerated much?) In every game ever the Death Mage (or Undeath Mage as they're generally related with) is called the 'Necromancer' I haven't seen a game, book, or anything else that says different.

Edit: I did some research on my own on the definition of Mancer and you are correct, but it aso means 'Practitioner of' as in 'uses'
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:14:09 am by Zsword »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 03:44:16 am »

"Necromancer" means literally "death prophet". Necromancy is a form of magic in which the practitioner seeks to summon various spirits for multiple reasons.

However during renessaince period the term transformed to a "practitioner of black magic", so any demonology would fit in this term.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2