Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven livestock  (Read 1588 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven livestock
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:15:00 am »

Dwarves should not have human livestock as horses, cows, dogs, cats etc. are not normaly found in mountains and are not well suited to mountain life. As such, I suggest eight properly dwarven animals.

1. Vulture. Eats carrion and bones and is much more useful in a mountain than a dog due to the fact that it can cross crags and cliffs. Eagles also work.

2. Goat. Mountain goats are native to the mountains. Dwarves are much more likely to have tamed a goat than a cow. Milkable.

3. Bat. Native to caves, eats insects, leaves fertilizer. Good replacement for the cat.

4. Yak. The pack animal/wagon puller of the dwarves. Similar to the muskox (which also fits for dwarves)

5. Bees. Another animal that is keepable in the mountains. Good for honey.

6. Giant snail. Ranchable animal that leaves a shell and meat. No bones, though.

7. Sheep. Like the goat, but with better wool.

8. Slime mold. While not technically an animal, I'm still putting it here as it moves. Large slime molds would be very interesting pets. They can get up to two feet in diameter and move across a small room in a day under ideal conditions.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven livestock
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

Also:

That is all.

EDIT: More relevantly, wouldn't all those animals be rather simply added in via modding?

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:59:00 am »

I'd like to see something like this added into the raws, multiple domestic tags that would let you split up what animals what race takes with them at startup. Naturally others could still be acquired via trading.

I.E., instead of [COMMON_DOMESTIC] there could be [DOMESTIC1] [DOMESTIC2] etc. up to [DOMESTIC9]. It would allow different animals to be classified separately and wouldn't hardcode anything so people can still mod in new livestocks.

I do think that certain human animals make allot of sense for dwarves to also have; dogs are one of the most common domestic animals on earth and I see no reason why dwarves would not have them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

I'd like to have separate livestock tags too. It makes a lot of sense, and it still allows for dwarves to acquire cows and whatnot through trading with humans.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

The Menacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

It'd be sort of fun if we saw livestock used to separate civilizations more.  We might see humans in desert biomes with herds of camels, for example.  And a fortress founded by a civilization of dwarves that lives near the surface and trades extensively with humans might have basically human livestock like sheep and what have you, while a more isolated civilization of dwarves that live deep underground might have naked mole dogs instead of regular dogs and domesticated giant bats and herds of purring maggots and whatnot.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »

Why are cats the only vermin hunters? We need raptors (the birds, not the dinosaurs) to hunt rats and the like! Midevial societies used tamed falcons and the like to hunt 'em, along with cats.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

Well, you have to remember that rats aren't the only vermin creatures.  There are large cockroaches, beetles, butterflies, pixies, and all manner of creatures that don't really fit into a raptor's (or an eagle's, bat's, carnivorous slug's, etc.) shopping list.

Caledonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Occluded Sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

How about pigs?  They can eat nearly anything, even refuse - when it eventually becomes necessary to feed and water livestock animals I expect that point to very important.

It would also be nice to be able to turn creatures loose, and then send hunters after them.

I am Immortal:  I have inside me blood of kings.
I have no rival:  no man can be my equal.
Take me to the future of your world!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

The XML style should be capable of supporting [domestic TAG] and [domesticates TAG] or something very very similar.  Anyway, an animal could be a member of several catagories and the civs could domesticate several types

The downside to the biomes specific domestications is that animals don't have a problem living most places, they just aren't native (AKA Cows live underground just fine, horses don't break hooves in the mountains, nothing has trouble living in the desert, etc etc etc).  That might be even better than domestic by civ tags, because what we domesticate is a quality of it being there and being useful, not who WE are.  Sure a dwarf gets of the boat with a herd of cattle and a horse, but after they die from the heat and starvation, he'll switch to the local camels and goats which can survive better in the biome.  

That kind of behavior will have to wait for animals to be truly alive.

On that note, what's the thoughts on a genre tag for creatures?  I think there's a [normal] tag already, but why not tag critters [high magic] or [norse] or [fantasy] or anything you please.  Especially with world gen parameters coming up, this would allow us to build worlds with different myth sets of creatures.  Just a thought

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>Dwarves should not have human livestock as horses, cows, dogs, cats etc. are not normaly found in mountains and are not well suited to mountain life. As such, I suggest eight properly dwarven animals.

1. Vulture. Eats carrion and bones and is much more useful in a mountain than a dog due to the fact that it can cross crags and cliffs. Eagles also work.

2. Goat. Mountain goats are native to the mountains. Dwarves are much more likely to have tamed a goat than a cow. Milkable.

3. Bat. Native to caves, eats insects, leaves fertilizer. Good replacement for the cat.

4. Yak. The pack animal/wagon puller of the dwarves. Similar to the muskox (which also fits for dwarves)

5. Bees. Another animal that is keepable in the mountains. Good for honey.

6. Giant snail. Ranchable animal that leaves a shell and meat. No bones, though.

7. Sheep. Like the goat, but with better wool.

8. Slime mold. While not technically an animal, I'm still putting it here as it moves. Large slime molds would be very interesting pets. They can get up to two feet in diameter and move across a small room in a day under ideal conditions.</STRONG>

A: bats are already in the game as vermin
B: You can mod these things into the game
C: Macro-animal (AKA non vermin) milking is not implemented yet.  You have to wait until you can milk a cow to milk a goat.
D: you forgot war carp

Now, I also have a suggestion.  You need to make it so you can limit certain animals to certain civilizations.  If you wanted a similar animal on a different civ, you would have to trade for it/get it yourself.  

For example: Suddenly the type of bear used for the bear cavalry is now only default to civs based in tundra/glaciers, and you have to be close enough to them to trade for it (or possibly capture one yourself in it's native zone)

WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Jhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 04:54:00 am »

Hey, why do you think goats are not domestic? One of my first immigrants came with    his own goat, and since then I have a working goat ranch...