Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Gnome Mod - a work in progress  (Read 6016 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnome Mod - a work in progress
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 03:14:44 pm »

I'd take the bonus criticles off the mining drill, or atleast keep and apply them to the buzz saw perhaps.

Drills arent nearly as effective for stabbing folks as those raws currently reflect.  ;)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 05:17:40 pm »

If only there was a CURIOUSBEAST_UNDERPANTS token.

I'd take the bonus criticles off the mining drill, or atleast keep and apply them to the buzz saw perhaps.

Drills arent nearly as effective for stabbing folks as those raws currently reflect.  ;)

Agreed and implemented.  The Crit_Boost didn't work as I had expected.  The damage ratings have been lowered a little across the board, because they were just a bit too powerful before.

I put up the specialized guns and their ammunition, plus a shrapnel gun for Gore damage.  Due to the intricate nature of these weapons, they have an elevated material cost.  Now there is a different gun for each damage type, except for Heat (I changed the hot shot to 'Burn' type), because otherwise the gnomes would almost certainly set the map on fire in their enthusiasm.  The damage on the guns appears balanced so far, and allows for strategic employment of specific weaponry to counter specific threats.  ("Taste icy death, foul imp!")

The Giant Drill and Rocket Fist have been added as trap components, as well as the figurines.  The fashionable clothes would be great for any race.  Gnomes should wear clogs(!).

Isn't it possible to consolidate the raw files into a single .txt file?  I recall reading something about that but I can't remember where, or how to do it.  It would be a lot easier to do that than having to edit all those different files.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 05:35:58 pm »

Isn't it possible to consolidate the raw files into a single .txt file?  I recall reading something about that but I can't remember where, or how to do it.  It would be a lot easier to do that than having to edit all those different files.

In short, no.

The file headings - OBJECT:ITEM, OBJECT:CREATURE and such - you can consolidate all files with the same heading into one file insofar as I know (so you can have wood types, plants, and rocks, for example, in the same file), but not files with different headings.

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 12:47:26 pm »

Just wanted to say wonderful job OP, I've been playing Dwarf Fortress since November 2007 and this is something that I have always wished was in the game.  Gnomes, when implemented as impractical masters of technology, are my absolute favorite fantasy race.

That said, would there be any way to add a Clockwork Guard "pet" that could be trained to patrol the fortress and protect it (I'm thinking something along the lines of war dogs, but not needing to be chained to the entrance, perhaps they could just follow a gnome around like an assigned war dog)?  I'm a little nervous to mod in anything major, as I don't like borking my games.

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 01:19:50 am »

Ok, I've been working on this, and it works in game (a bit) so I thought I'd post it here, clockworks for the gnomes!

First add this to the creature_standard.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then add this to the body_default.txt

The clockwork is size 4 (the same size as the gnomes I use) is trainable in the kennels to be a war animal, and packs a pretty mean punch!

Hopefully in the next released build we will be better able to modify reactions and custom workshops so we could hopefully set up a clockwork workshop that would take a metal and make a clockwork from it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:29:52 am by Gurt02 »

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 05:45:39 am »

You're modding gnomes too? There goes my unique appeal! :'(

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 10:36:13 am »

You're modding gnomes too? There goes my unique appeal! :'(

The beautiful (and annoying) thing about gnomes is that they have different iterations in almost every fantasy setting.  Just look at gnomes in DnD 3.5 and DnD 4, in one gnomes are closely related to dwarves, but more magically inclined, and have a greater understanding of invention.  In the other, they are little more than mini-elves that can disappear at will.  In Everquest, gnomes are extremely smart and take a scientific approach to all things, magic and machine, but do not care about the practicality of anything they do, theres a quest where you help a gnome build a mining machine that uses the diamonds it mines as fuel, because that would let it work forever and increase the yield.  In WoW gnomes are much like EQ gnomes but they put a greater emphasis on the impracticality and a lesser emphasis on the raw ingenuity, while using the impracticality as a much more overt form of comic relief, as opposed to EQ, which does use it as comic relief, but not as often and much more subtle.

All of these gnomes are different sizes ranging from about 2 feet (WoW) to about 4 feet (DnD) and Tolkin's gnomes were about 5 to 6 feet (they are described as elves that dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge.

Because of this, everyone has a different perception of what a gnome should be. When I think gnome, I'm thinking EQ, where a gnome could build a clockwork dragon for someone who commissioned it, but when it started up it would be a dragon, and go on about it's way doing dragon things like eating the people who commissioned it.  The gnomes who built it would be confused why anyone would want such a dangerous clockwork.  And a dragon clockwork that didn't act like a dragon, to the gnomes, wouldn't be a dragon clockwork.

So, don't let someone with a different idea of what a gnome is discourage you, instead see if you can take aspects that you like from their gnomes and apply them into your own.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 03:19:07 pm »

I was kidding about the crying thing, actually. Don't worry about me. hehe.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »

Dude_Jebawe, perhaps we should work together.  Two gnomes are better than one.

To me, these gnomes are similar to Tolkien's hobbits in lifestyle and mannerisms, but like vanilla DF gnomes in stature and appearance.  They have a penchant for improvised technology and rely on it for defense, because they are physically puny.  Every gnome settlement, in my opinion, should have a functional gnomeputer, or several.

Quote from: Gurt02
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:LH:saw into:saws into:25:50:SLASH]

25:50!  Those clockwork beasts are monstrous.

Making a multitude of clockwork beasts true to their flesh-and-blood counterparts could be somewhat easy in practice since all one has to do is take a normal animal, change the color and add the appropriate mechanical attributes, like this sample mechanical cat:

DF is very friendly to the creation of new mechanized creatures, so making them is the easy part.  The harder part is putting them into fortress mode in a good way.  Those custom workshops and reactions will allow for this -- it'd be nice if mechanisms were required to build most of the gnomish weapons.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 05:33:51 pm »

Maybe we could, it's worth a shot at least.

My Gnomes aren't clearly defined yet, but the main theme I'm going for is that they are small. Size 2, in fact. They rely mostly on strong fortifications to keep their enemies at bay, because even a Kobold is a serious threat to them. Gnomish weapons deal very little damage but also require few materials to make, making it easy to arm a large force. This easy weapon manufacturing is their only advantage in warfare.

But your Gnomes sound cool too.

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:30 pm »

Dude_Jebawe, perhaps we should work together.  Two gnomes are better than one.

To me, these gnomes are similar to Tolkien's hobbits in lifestyle and mannerisms, but like vanilla DF gnomes in stature and appearance.  They have a penchant for improvised technology and rely on it for defense, because they are physically puny.  Every gnome settlement, in my opinion, should have a functional gnomeputer, or several.

[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:LH:saw into:saws into:25:50:SLASH]

25:50!  Those clockwork beasts are monstrous.

Making a multitude of clockwork beasts true to their flesh-and-blood counterparts could be somewhat easy in practice since all one has to do is take a normal animal, change the color and add the appropriate mechanical attributes, like this sample mechanical cat:

DF is very friendly to the creation of new mechanized creatures, so making them is the easy part.  The harder part is putting them into fortress mode in a good way.  Those custom workshops and reactions will allow for this -- it'd be nice if mechanisms were required to build most of the gnomish weapons.

Your gnomes sound like a smaller version of what I was going for.  I'm looking for something generally about the same size as kobolds (little larger or little smaller is fine) that use a combination of ridiculous traps and fearsome clockworks along with skilled commanders (leading said clockworks) to protect the gnomish subterrainean burrow/city from invaders.  And plan on modding any gnomes as such.

As for the damage on the clockwork, that's my first created creature and I wanted it to be as if it had a weapon, like a real gnome would be carrying.  I've been looking at the damage formulas and those values should be close to what an actual gnome of similar size could do, with a similar weapon.  Of course they won't get the axegnome/buzzgnome skill so they won't be able to do as much damage in the long run, but that's probably how it should be I think.  I'm going to do some more testing to make sure they are attacking correctly, this is my first time modding.

My ultimate goal is to either have the clockworks be somewhat modular, so if you wanted to make a buzzsaw clockwork (the one listed) or a clockwork with one of several launchers, by makeing a base clockwork and then building on from there (i.e. make the clockwork then choose to upgrade a clockwork to either a buzzsaw clockwork or a launcher clockwork by means of a reaction that requires the previous clockwork); or make it so that each clockwork requires a number of clockwork kits, allowing you to make small clockwork pets (like cats) from one kit and one mechanism, all the way up to clockwork dragons from as many as 20 kits and several mechanisms.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 07:40:38 am »

Why can't gnomes embark with wood?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 05:08:03 pm »

Gnomes can and do embark with tower-cap wood.

If your gnomes can't bring it, it's because the civilization they belong to does not have access to the wood (like how some dwarf civs just don't have any bauxite), so try choosing another civ at the embark screen.

It does appear that the only wood they have access to is tower-cap.  I'm looking for a fix for that (and hoping it isn't hard-coded).

My ultimate goal is to either have the clockworks be somewhat modular, so if you wanted to make a buzzsaw clockwork (the one listed) or a clockwork with one of several launchers, by makeing a base clockwork and then building on from there (i.e. make the clockwork then choose to upgrade a clockwork to either a buzzsaw clockwork or a launcher clockwork by means of a reaction that requires the previous clockwork); or make it so that each clockwork requires a number of clockwork kits, allowing you to make small clockwork pets (like cats) from one kit and one mechanism, all the way up to clockwork dragons from as many as 20 kits and several mechanisms.

You probably already know this, but just in case, the wiki should be able to guide you through each of the reactions necessary.  Despite the limitations, smelter reactions are currently the only real way to go with this.  One day when more of the buildings are covered by the raws I suspect we'll be able to make things like Laboratories and Tinkershops and Clockworkshops easily.

Perhaps there is a way to make [INTELLIGENT] clockworks able to perform menial tasks like hauling or woodcutting (for a buzzsaw clockwork) or digging (for a drill clockwork).  To the laboratory!

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 06:05:33 pm »

My gnomes (tried three times) couldn't embark neither with wood nor plants. That's probably my fault tho.

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 06:08:24 pm »

Gnomes can and do embark with tower-cap wood.

If your gnomes can't bring it, it's because the civilization they belong to does not have access to the wood (like how some dwarf civs just don't have any bauxite), so try choosing another civ at the embark screen.

It does appear that the only wood they have access to is tower-cap.  I'm looking for a fix for that (and hoping it isn't hard-coded).

You probably already know this, but just in case, the wiki should be able to guide you through each of the reactions necessary.  Despite the limitations, smelter reactions are currently the only real way to go with this.  One day when more of the buildings are covered by the raws I suspect we'll be able to make things like Laboratories and Tinkershops and Clockworkshops easily.

Perhaps there is a way to make [INTELLIGENT] clockworks able to perform menial tasks like hauling or woodcutting (for a buzzsaw clockwork) or digging (for a drill clockwork).  To the laboratory!

Interesting, my gnomes cannot bring any plants or any wood, regardless of civilization it seems.

Any creature producing reaction currently doesn't work as the reactions are hard-coded to produce only items.  The next release appears to have the same limitation, and there may not ever be a call for reactions to accept or produce creatures, which would nip this in the bud.

As for the actual custom workshops, thats going to be possible in the next release, as will almost any sort of custom reactions.  This means my gnomes will be equipped with motor-swords, auto-hammers, and buzzsaws that require mechanisms to make, along with all gnomish clockwork animal toys.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4