Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Gnome Mod - a work in progress  (Read 6008 times)

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnome Mod - a work in progress
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 07:16:51 pm »

Hey, SethCreiyd. Since you suggested cooperating, I was wondering if you were interested in padding your gnome mod with a little extra detail, such as greater plant and meal variation, more armor and weapon choices, and a few additional creatures? Because I've done some of that stuff already, so we might as well use it, right?

Anyways, here's a few samples:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 11:13:33 pm »

Weird stuff about the plants and wood.  I copy/pasted the relevant entity.txt stuff once again in case there was a discrepancy.

Gurt, it's a shame about creatures not being produced by reactions, but I hold hope that the aforementioned customized buildings will allow for it at least by virtue of a workaround.  Nothing but speculation at this point, I know.

Jebawe, I'm very interested in all sorts of extra items and critters.  Did you design those for use with your gnomes, or independently?  The gnomes are part of a greater "extra stuff" mod I've been working on for some time, and I've only posted the strictly gnome-oriented stuff so far, and the looming release of the next version has been weighing down on my progress (and kept me from making its own topic).

All that said, I'd be happy to see anything you have.  Dwarven vodka is especially wonderful (why wouldn't they like vodka? or mead, for that matter).

In a spirit of extra, here's a few semi-megabeasts:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps we should continue this collaboration at the brainstorm thread?

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 11:35:06 pm »

On the matter of not being able to use use plants and wood on embark, I've discovered that it's the indoor plants and wood only (i.e. plump helmets, tower caps, etc.).  I'm looking into it, but if I include both the indoor and outdoor farming tags I can get outdoor crops and wood, and if I include only the outdoor farming tag I can get outdoor plants and wood.  I'm not mislabeling the tag (through misspelling or otherwise) so I don't know what the problem is.  This actually is an issue for me, as I prefer my gnomes live underground, and growing only above ground crops conflicts with fluff (which I value).  I intend to force all my gnomes underground and see if that fixes the problem (I have them able to be underground and above ground currently, with more weight placed on underground settlements).  What's odd is that Seth's gnomes can farm underground and my gnomes used his as a template, if anyone knows any other tags that can influence farming, please let me know, I may have changed one.

Seth, to make your gnomes gather plants from above ground, simply add the [OUTDOOR_FARMING] tag.

Working on plants is a great idea, I'll start modding up some gnomish alcohols from new underground plants once I get the farming issue sorted.

Edit:
Eureka! The problem of not being able to take underground plants and wood on embark appears to be due to specifying the starting biome to be mountain and some other.  Therefore if you list two starting biomes, one of which is mountain, any underground farming won't work and your gnomes simply won't farm.  So, if you want underground plants, either force the gnomes to start in the mountains only, or make sure they don't start there.  Shintaro, if this doesn't solve your problem directly, try changing your starting biome combinations, there may be some other combinations that break the indoor farming tag.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:14:50 am by Gurt02 »

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 06:14:03 am »

skylights can work wonders to farms. just spiral staircase and staircase remove in the center of your farm to grow both types underground. :D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 07:53:00 am »

This stuff was designed independently from my gnomes. I've changed the MATGLOSS_PLANT file a lot recently, changing plump helmets so they don't give boose, take longer to grow, and can only be cooked when processed. I've also added a "cave creeper" plant that grows very slowly, has a low value extract, and gives a high value dwarven wine.

Oh, and I've completely overhauled the dwarven armory, combining axes and hammers into one category using the axe skill, and added a whip using the hammer skill. This way the hammerer doesn't kill your dwarves, but still punishes them. Neat, huh? I've also split the ace into a light and heavy mace, with the light one using less resources to make and the heavier being better for combat. And I've added scale armor, chest plates, and chain shirts to my game.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 09:16:01 am »

Quote from: Gurt
Shintaro, if this doesn't solve your problem directly, try changing your starting biome combinations, there may be some other combinations that break the indoor farming tag.
Thanks bro, I love you but I won't leave my steampunkish butchers now.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 08:44:51 pm »

Great discovery Gurt, and thank you, it is a great deal of help.  Regarding the [OUTDOOR_FARMING] tag, Hoping that the two were separate, I was shooting for indoor plants and outdoor trees (alas).

Quote from: Dude_Jebawe
Oh, and I've completely overhauled the dwarven armory, combining axes and hammers into one category using the axe skill, and added a whip using the hammer skill. This way the hammerer doesn't kill your dwarves, but still punishes them. Neat, huh?

Neat indeed.  Makes me envision the Hammerer as less oafish and more snakelike.

Anyone having the discussed problems should follow Gurt's advice until I get a chance to update the mod - hopefully by tomorrow. period.

Edit:  Main post updated.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:02:21 pm by SethCreiyd »

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 02:11:09 am »

University was closed Friday (snow in the south throws a wrench in the gears) so I'll be spending the day testing and balancing my clockworks and adding some underground plants for gnomish uses.

I had an idea, that since there are so many flavors of gnomes why not add several templates for the different types and encourage others to mod?  I will not lie and say that I didn't use Seth's gnome template as a base for what I included, but if you were to contrast the two now they probably have more differences than things in common (my gnomes lend themselves to be neutral; live in caves like dwarves; start in the mountains; and have increased to be size 5, same as kobolds).

I'm planing on reworking all gnomish weapons soon to better fit my tastes and what I like when I think about gnomes.  Currently on the drawing board are auto-hammers and motor-swords (may change to gear-saber, may add both) along with some other things I've implemented myself (cold damage weapons seem too impractical for even my gnomes to use, so my macegnomes wield what are basically welding clubs).

The plants I'm adding will have products that will be used in conjunction with gears in all advanced gnomish construction, come next release.  Most can also be brewed into drinks, but would probably be more useful as machine components.  The plan is to use the plant products along with mechanisms and gears to make a motor-kit, which would be required in the construction of the most damaging gnomish weapons and traps (such as the aforementioned motor-sword) and will eventually be a part of the clockwork kits that I will implement once we can use reactions to make creatures.

Please let me know what you think, I never thought I'd like it, but this modding stuff is pretty fun.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 10:27:27 am »

I wonder... is it possible to turn plants into brass or, you know, any metal bars?

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 01:30:36 pm »

I wonder... is it possible to turn plants into brass or, you know, any metal bars?

Not only is it possible, in the next release we will be able to make a custom workshop to specifically do that, if we so desire.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 02:33:24 pm »

For now you can do it in your smelter only. Farming for metals?.. Wow, nice idea :).

Also, brass can and heavy mace miss some closing brackets ("]").

Also there was some "gentleman" mod or something like that. It had monocles and top-hats. I think they would fit gnomes.

As for the damage on the clockwork, that's my first created creature and I wanted it to be as if it had a weapon
It's not a damage, it's an attack power, which is a damage MODIFIER. Your war clockworks (50:100 attack) can kill a dragon with 1 hit.
They have CAN_LEARN -> they can get wrestling skill -> they will bash giants into submission in no time. 3:10 attack should be enough to make them deadly (avoid any 1:N attack if you want them to be effective, sometimes they will use "1" too often due to RNG which is bad).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:35:51 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 02:46:59 pm »

For now you can do it in your smelter only. Farming for metals?.. Wow, nice idea :).

Also, brass can and heavy mace miss some closing brackets ("]").

Also there was some "gentleman" mod or something like that. It had monocles and top-hats. I think they would fit gnomes.

As for the damage on the clockwork, that's my first created creature and I wanted it to be as if it had a weapon
It's not a damage, it's an attack power, which is a damage MODIFIER. Your war clockworks (50:100 attack) can kill a dragon with 1 hit.
They have CAN_LEARN -> they can get wrestling skill -> they will bash giants into submission in no time. 3:10 attack should be enough to make them deadly (avoid any 1:N attack if you want them to be effective, sometimes they will use "1" too often due to RNG which is bad).

Ahh, I see.  The biggest problem is actually finding a way for them to gain the wrestling skill.  Despite them being able to gain skills, they cannot learn except by fighting or sparring, and as they aren't in the military formally, they currently will not spar.  Is there any way to get them to spar or otherwise increase their skill without needing to be in constant combat?  It would be nice for them to be able to prepare for a goblin siege as opposed to simply learning from the experience.

I don't know about the top hats, but monocles sounds pretty gnomish to me too, I may add a few once I finish my work on plants.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 05:20:35 pm »

When we gonna get a hobbit mod?
I like sushi.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 05:43:52 pm »

I had an idea, that since there are so many flavors of gnomes why not add several templates for the different types and encourage others to mod?

Sounds good to me.  If you post your vision of gnomes I'll be glad to add them to a new section in the main post.

When we gonna get a hobbit mod?

Search results show that a few such mods are in the works but from a cursory glance it seems they haven't been updated in some time.  As one may surmise from [ENTITY:HOBBITSES] these gnomes started out as halflings but were quickly modified.  I'll get around to changing it sooner or later.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2010, 08:08:44 am »

I had an idea, that since there are so many flavors of gnomes why not add several templates for the different types and encourage others to mod?

Let me introduce you to industrial gnomes. Less strange weapons, more farming for metal, more roosevelt-style elephant hunting and more mechanical pets that will explode when destroyed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4