Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tavern  (Read 1492 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Tavern
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

I kinda miss taverns in Dwarf Fortress. Most stories with dwarves in them include tavern scenes with drinking dwarves.

Just now I had an idea for that:
Let's just say you can designate a tavern from a table as well as a dining room.

But dwarves don't go to the tavern to drink when they are thirsty (then they drink as normal), they go to drink there when they have just witnessed death, or are unhappy. (not very unhappy or miserable, only when they start being unhappy)
They look first for their favorite drink, and if they can find it, they get a happy thought from drinking it in the tavern. ("drank some of his troubles away") If their favorite drink is not available, they will waste some time in the tavern and drink something else, but not gain the happy thought.

Dwarves can also go to the tavern if they didn't have enough work for some time.
This time it is the other way around: If the dwarf finds his/her favourite drink, he/she drinks it in the tavern and nothing happens. If his favourite drink is unavailable, he/she will drink something else in the tavern, but get an unhappy thought ("got too drunk").

Ofcourse parties can also be thrown in the tavern.

In my opinion, this not only adds the tavern to the game, but also some extra dynamics for dwarven moods.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »

This is something I wouldn't mind seeing just to add more flavor to the game, even if it didn't have much practical use. Also I think I've seen a bloat somewhere about making mugs usable, so that would go nicely with the whole tavern thing.

Heh, how about a bartender noble to 'conduct meetings' with unhappy dwarves over a mug of ale? I think those that are put off by authority only feel worse after talking with the mayor or whoever, this would be a nice alternative for them...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »

Why does every profession that's suggested have to be a 'noble'?   Just have a dwarf able to purchase and own a tavern type shop and make checks with their social skills.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Why does every profession that's suggested have to be a 'noble'?</STRONG>

Well, in an alcho-centric society such as the Dwarves, you'd expect the Tavern Owners and Brewmasters to wield almost as much authority as any Noble could ever be expected to  ;)

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Why does every profession that's suggested have to be a 'noble'?   Just have a dwarf able to purchase and own a tavern type shop and make checks with their social skills.</STRONG>

I guess that would work, I just figured that programming-wise it'd be easier to make a copy of whatever the code is for an already existing noble and change its name to 'Bartender'. (Of course I know absolutely zilch about programming so I could be wrong here.)

Dasleah had some good points too.  :) In fact maybe I should start treating my brewer's with a little more respect, they are after all the cornerstone of dwarven civilization....

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 01:22:00 am »

I would like to have this! I will often build rooms with tables and chairs but not  designated as a dining hall, then stockpile the booze there. I put it near the workshops, and then dwarves don't have to walk too far to get there and back. If able-bodied but idle dwarves where able to congregate there, too, then it would have great game benefits.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 05:43:00 am »

great!

PTTG: zone it as a meeting area, but add a door shutting out the critters. Idle dwarfs will go there...and have parties I think.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:06:00 am »

quote:
Well, in an alcho-centric society such as the Dwarves, you'd expect the Tavern Owners and Brewmasters to wield almost as much authority as any Noble could ever be expected to  

Given that there are so many dwarves... Wouldn't it be better to just make it a profession?

I can understand there being a "Brewmaster" or "Head Doctor" who is incharge of all alcohol... but a Bartender is just soo mundane.

It is bad enough that you rely on Dungeon Masters to tame exotic creatures... yet your Legendary Animal Tamers can't do squat on dragons.

On a side note: You just made a bar... not a Tavern... given that you do not sleep in this place.

Alright but time to read the original suggestion closer:

I do not like the idea in the sense that Dwarves drink alcohol for medical reasons and do not actually get drunk. Id rather a Bar work as a Restaurant where by giving a dwarf service they will get happy thoughts.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:28:00 am »

a bar is just a shop to sell alcohol.

a tavern...sell food&drink.
inn ... surplus beds in an owned room?

combine the shops into one structure to create a tavern.

I haven't gotten to economies yet, so can't really tell what is actually coded and what is wishfull thinking.
...Is there a shopkeeper profession?
Guy goes out to buy goods, puts them in his storeroom(stockpile in shop?) and sell them for more money from his shop.
a shop-room could be designated from a container or counter-furniture build.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

If taverns ever make it into dwarf fortress it MUST have a possibility of a massive drunken fist-fight, with participant wielding chairs, bottles and whatever they get their hands on. Maybe thrown things should be outlawed if you want survivors. and the underage dwarve/babies should be excluded of course.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 11:31:00 am »

It should be a room you can assign...

That way you can have bar stools!

And awesomeness.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

I don't think that it's important to have a special designation.
My suggestion: add a "switchable" skill and a dining room option:
(T) Tavern Y/N
Which adds:
a) Consider as a meeting place, the parties can be thrown here
b) Additional happy thoughts for favourite foods/drinks
c) Dwarves with "entertainer" job (new, from "comedian" skill) will play instruments and show perfomances there (a use for instruments and toys)
d) when the economy starts it can be owned and will give income corresponding to the number of visitors per year.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

thrown tables and chairs?! ...mine are usually made out of solid rock and would constitute a cavein.
anyhow, drukenbrawls are already in: just kill e few cats and your dwarfs will have at it in no time. ...also disable all butchers, but not hunters, rotting meat is fun to throw too.  ;)

No fair! Dwarf children should be allowed in, how else are they gonna get through the working day?

good ideas all.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

Yeah, most of my tables are solid stone...  talk about concussions.

But I don't think dwarves would go for stools.  benches maybe?
I really like the core idea, but there's some fleshing out that'd have to be done for the dwarvenness of it.

Demon of Darkness

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 07:02:00 am »

Also: dwarves should want to carry around (be able to own) their private mugs.
(less spillage, than when upending a barrel of [5] Ale over your head!)

+ When economy is active: party in tavern = order a round of Ale
Improve relations (bribe) with attending dwarves, but costs money.

hmm.
picknick: party at meetingzone outside, attending dwarves bring beer and food.

Pages: [1] 2