Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damaged Item Reaction Targeting (D.I.R.T)  (Read 1170 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damaged Item Reaction Targeting (D.I.R.T)
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:06:10 am »

In the next version, will it be possible to target damaged or worn items for reactions? I was thinking of making a custom workshop to repair clothes, armor, and weapons.

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damaged Item Reaction Targeting (D.I.R.T)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:56:12 pm »

I don't think so...it's not clear how specific you can get with the custom workshops in the next version.  There still may be ways to set up a repair shop, though.  You could set up a custom clothier shop which could take a piece of clothing and some cloth to remake the clothing.  If you could get all the damaged itemt in a stockpile, you could use the burrow system to force the workshop to use the damaged items.

Of course, getting all the damaged items into one place will be a serious obstacle, as will the fact that most of the damaged items would be owned, and off limits for the workshop.

I started a thread for potentially useful custom workshops a couple days ago, and if it sounds like this should work, i'll add it to the list.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 04:57:39 pm »

With the huge materials overhaul that has taken place, I really wouldn't be at all surprised if reactions got supplemented.
We'll just have to wait and see, or perhaps Toady will pop in and answer it definitively.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 02:13:54 pm »

AFAIK, there are still no such additions to reactions. If anything, the decorations and quality support must come first, and even that's not supported in the next version yet.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 07:40:27 pm »

Nope, this won't be possible.

With the huge materials overhaul that has taken place, I really wouldn't be at all surprised if reactions got supplemented.
We'll just have to wait and see, or perhaps Toady will pop in and answer it definitively.

We've already seen most of how the new reactions work:

Quote from: Footkerchief
Quote from: Toady One
The custom workshop interfaces still just list the jobs without material selectors or extra helper buttons, but there are some flags you can but on reactions that help with things, so that you can request, say, any wood for a reagent and the product can use the exact material picked up by the dwarf for the product.  The reagents all have labels now, and you can tell a product to "GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B", for instance, and whatever item the dwarf picks up for reagent B will be used to determine the material of that product.
Awesome.

There's another layer in between the reagent and product in this system which should be useful as well.  For instance, for tanning, which is now in the raws, instead of producing leather that is made out of the reagent's skin material, you need to have it made out of a new leather material, but the type of leather needs to depend on the skin material.  So for this one, we have "GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:TAN_MAT" where TAN_MAT is the token for reaction information inside the material.  That is, the material definition has "[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]".  This means that instead of making the new product out of skin, it searches for "TAN_MAT" and says "okay, I should use the skin's creature's leather definition instead."  It doesn't need to be a local creature material.  You could just as easily have tanning cow skin give you tigerman leather or an iron "tanned skin" item.  You'd do those with (in the mat def) [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:CREATURE_MAT:TIGERMAN:LEATHER] and [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:INORGANIC:IRON], respectively.  The leather materials (and soap, tallow etc.) are all defined inside the creature itself.

When I say that TAN_MAT is a token, I mean that it isn't hard-coded at all.  You could have a reaction that has:

[REAGENT:A:1:BAR:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:MY_WEIRD_SWORD_CLASS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:SWORD_SHORT:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:MY_WEIRD_SWORD_MAT]

and then over in all the material defs you want (inorganic, tallow, whatever you have modded to make bars):

[REACTION_CLASS:MY_WEIRD_SWORD_CLASS] <-- lets it know it can be used as a reagent in that reaction
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:MY_WEIRD_SWORD_MAT:<whatever you want as a material for that particular input>] <-- tells it what you want the output to be

Other changes, off the top of my head: you can set which building they're done at, and what skill they use, and you can specify container "reagents" for the product to be placed in.  I think that's it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 08:25:54 pm »

Off topic, but does this mean we can finally skin and butcher invaders or our own dead?

Perhaps a custom workshop called "The Trophy Room" which takes in goblin corpses and puts out goblin leather/bones/etc.