Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Perpetual Motion with NO possible flow.  (Read 1040 times)

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d16] Perpetual Motion with NO possible flow.
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:11:16 am »

Discussion and some testing in this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48233.30

Basically, if you embark with a brook/river and build above ground a structure such as:

Code: [Select]
z0    z1
XXX  fMf
XFX  ===
XXX  fff

X= constructed wall, F = constructed Floor, f = top of constructed wall, M = gear assembly, === is waterwheel

and use  a bucket brigade to fill the container to 6/7 water (before building the waterwheel of course)  The waterwheel will be powered....

But only if you build it outdoors.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: [40d16] Perpetual Motion with NO possible flow.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 03:27:24 pm »

I'm guessing this is similar to building a windmill x-amount of z-levels down as long as the center tile of the windmill has outside access.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:38:13 pm »

If you have to build it outdoors, that might indicate the more convenient power source of wind-power.
wave-power is nice but probably unnecessary...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 02:57:36 pm »

If you have to build it outdoors, that might indicate the more convenient power source of wind-power.
wave-power is nice but probably unnecessary...

Waterwheels provide more power than windmills.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.